Do you save your seeds ?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Do you save your seeds ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default Do you save your seeds ?

I ask this because everything we eat that has seeds in it I let dry out , bag up , mark and put away. everything from , peppers, watermelons, apples, tomatoes,cucumbers, corn , beans etc. never know when your gonna need them and I would guess they would be good for several yrs if they are kept dry and in a cool ,dark place .
just another prep for me I guess

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

I occasionally try. I have noticed lately that Alot of the seed bearing foods have been treated or something and will not grow. Not that I'm known for my green thumb.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That Seems like a pretty sweet deal.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

OK folks. time for Agriculture 101- also known as not starving to death, because humans cannot survive on meat alone.

Many- make that MOST- of the garden plants you buy are hybrids. That means that two varieties were cross pollinated, in order that the seed would have a desired characteristic from each parent plant. We have been doing this for more than a century. Characteristics may be size, flavor, early ripening, disease resistance, etc.

When you plant, let's say, Big Boy tomato seeds from the seed packet, you are planting a hybrid cross between a cherry tomato and a Rutgers. And they are decent tomatoes. HOWEVER- save the seeds, and plant them, you will NOT get Big Boy tomatoes. You will get cherry tomatoes. The hybrid reverts to the dominant parent.

The plants where you CAN save seeds, and get the same plant are known as HEIRLOOMS. Instead of Big Boy, if you planted Cherokee Purples or Mortgage Lifters, and saved the seeds, they would grow more Cherokee Purples or Mortgage Lifters. They are not hybrids, and breed true. However, they do not have the characteristics that the plant science folks bred for- like being resistant to verticillium wilt, a plant disease that can wipe out your crop in 2 days.

Now, I am gonna get on my high horse here for a minute. I hear folks talk about how in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, they are going to take their firearm of choice, head for the woods, and live off of deer and cattle that they would whittle a steak off'n. REALITY- the deer will be gone pretty quickly- and beef and venison both spoil in 2 days in hot weather if you do not have knowledge and means of preserving it. And if I find someone sniping at the livestock- that is really not going to end well.

Want to improve your long term possibility of surviving the really bad long term scenario of your choice- without spending a lot of money? Head for the library, and grab some books on gardening.

What is the easiest carbohydrate you can grow without specialized machinery, that keeps well? The humble potato. How early can you plant them- and how do you plant them- and why you should not be looking for a packet of potato seeds. How would you store them- and what are the plant pests that eat the plants- and how do you combat them when there is no Sevin dust?

What common plant varieties are heirlooms? Which are typically hybrids? Where can you BUY heirloom seeds? How do you store them (seed life varies from a couple of years to 10 yrs, depending on seed)

If you did not grow up as a country boy (or girl) with a hoe, go do some reading. Even if the world does not end this year, growing your own is rather satisfying. If you do not have a large garden space, get the book called "Square Foot Gardening". No garden at all? Learn about container gardening.

OK- time for dinner. Will get off my high horse. Am going to go have tomatoes, peppers cucumbers and onions from our garden.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 07-03-2012 at 11:01 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7813 Times on 4689 Posts
Likes Given: 9825

Oooh...........I love a man that knows his biology and genetics.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sounds like winds wants you to drop your genes. Lol

Old 07-04-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Naw- she runs a hospital lab, and understands genetics. That, and she likes salads!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Lol.........

Old 07-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #9

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

C3;
Rutgers clearly dominates Cherry Tomato -- I didn't hear they even made it to March Madness.

If beef doesn't last long untreated in warm weather, based on experience, would you recommend high horse?

And, I wouldn't admit to growing up with a hoe even if I did...

PS: My seeds are in the 'fridge.

Old 07-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1501 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 3261

Heirloom plants are definitely the way to go. And gardening, along with canning, are skills that come with practice. Saving seeds is better than not saving seeds, but really getting into gardening would be even better.

Also get in the habit of just being aware of the natural resources all around. I found a large blackberry patch in plain view of my plant. They appear to be some sort of old domesticated variety left over from a long gone farm. They're literally hanging like grapes by the thousands. I'll have a blackberry cobbler and several jars of preserves before the weekend is over with almost no work. And no one else has even noticed them and probably never will.

C3 is spot on about the deer and cattle. All of the obvious stuff is going to get wiped out quick, but there's a lot of not so obvious stuff that no one even stops to notice, anymore. Having knowledge about those type of things now could come in really handy. When do you plant what? But also, when do blackberries come in? That also goes for apples, pears, peaches, plumbs, blueberries, wild strawberries, gooseberries, pecans, walnuts, crab-apples, muscadimes, scuffadines, and wild rice. I think everyone should know what all of those common plants look like without fruit, and then when to go back to the ones they stumble across. Maybe even plant a few fruit trees close by? I know I'm bringing some of those blackberry plants back to plant in various locations around my area.

In case no one noticed, I really like blackberries.
The sad part though, and I hate to admit this, I've worked at this plant for four years and I never noticed them before. This patch is about 40 yards wide and 200 yards long. There were so many red berries there last week that a passing jet would have spotted them. 20 years ago I would have spotted that patch in winter and been waiting for them this summer. It just made me realize how little I've been paying attention to little things like that.