Do you have a place to go IF it ever comes to that SHTF scenario?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Do you have a place to go IF it ever comes to that SHTF scenario?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Do you have a place to go IF it ever comes to that SHTF scenario?

When my dad was a young man, in his early 20’s, he was out hunting to put food on the table. He shot a buck and didn’t put it down with one shot. He said he tracked that deer for at least 6 miles before he finally found it in a bunch of brush. When he went in to get it, he found a cave that looked like no one had ever been in. Well, he got married and had 3 kids, and went on with life. About the time the cold war got going really good, he decided he needed a place to go in case things went “to-hell-in-a-hand-basket”, and he remembered that cave. He took us kids up there to show us where it was and how to get there without him, just in case. Over the next couple of years, he had us pack in stuff that would be needed for the long stay. Stuff that would probably still be pretty good today. I doubt that most of the food stuff would still be good, but the other things like medical, water purifying, fire starting, traps for food and things like that would still be useable. The best thing about it was that it had a seep that would fill a gallon jug in about 3 hours. That water was ice cold and sweet. I haven’t been there in a few years, but the last time I was there, it was even more over grown than ever, and other than small animals, it looked like it still hasn’t been found, and the rations looked pretty good.

Now, if it came to that SHTF scenario, I would do all I could to get me and my family to that cave. It’s so far off any road or trail, it would take somebody that knew exactly where to look to find it. Took me a few tries before I remembered. As far as I know, there were only 5 people that knew where that cave was, and 3 of them are gone.

About the only thing I would have to bring would be clothes and ammo for my Winchester and my Ruger, because what ammo is there is almost as old as I am, (65), and I wouldn’t be carrying the guns it was made for. I’d use the old stuff to make mantraps, and yes, I do know how to make some pretty nasty s--t. I learned from the best over in Nam.

All that said, I hope and pray that I never find myself having to live there.

An armed society is a safe society.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Last edited by Harley_Guy; 11-20-2008 at 06:44 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have two perfect places , kind of like yours , only trouble one is in another state about 900 miles from here , the other about 1100 miles so probably couldn,t get to either one .

Any gun owner that voted for obama is a gun owner I don't trust with a gun !

Old 11-20-2008, 03:48 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am hundreds of miles away from any place where there isn't any human habitation, so seclusion is out of the question if the SHTF all of a sudden like. If I have ample time and resources, I have the best spot known to man... in Washington state, in the Olympic National Park. Icy pure water and more game than you could hope to ever need. Rawr!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
in Washington state, in the Olympic National Park. Icy pure water and more game than you could hope to ever need. Rawr!
Just make sure and announce yourself - I know a couple of guys, and their families, who MIGHT be out in those parts with some long range firepower and some electronic counter measures.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:19 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Just make sure and announce yourself - I know a couple of guys, and their families, who MIGHT be out in those parts with some long range firepower and some electronic counter measures.
It wouldn't surprise me. About 50 men could defend that area from a division of baddies. It's also too cold for zombies in the winter

Old 11-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineffable View Post
It wouldn't surprise me. About 50 men could defend that area from a division of baddies. It's also too cold for zombies in the winter
Quoted for Truth.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I know most of the Trinity Alps like the back of my hand. I spent my childhood years backpacking them with my family and Boy Scout Troop. I know of several routes into the Trinities using Forest Service and BLM roads. I'm also a stones throw for the Siskiyous, however, I'm not all that familiar with them.

Both areas are large wilderness areas that are filled with wildlife and lakes that are filled with fish. I would feel more than confident leading my family into these areas if need be.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1861 View Post
I have two perfect places , kind of like yours , only trouble one is in another state about 900 miles from here , the other about 1100 miles so probably couldn,t get to either one .
I think you would know it was coming with enough time still be able to get to one of your places. It ain't going to happen over night. I myself am thinking about taking a long ride and checking my place out.

An armed society is a safe society.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_Guy View Post
I think you would know it was coming with enough time still be able to get to one of your places. It ain't going to happen over night. I myself am thinking about taking a long ride and checking my place out.

yeah , I,m hopeing you are right .

Any gun owner that voted for obama is a gun owner I don't trust with a gun !

Old 11-20-2008, 11:05 PM   #10

*Gets into deer blinds, because people in the city are more blind in nature than any wildlife, and nobody around my part of Texas would go crazy.*

Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American.

~ George S. Patton (1944)