Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Do you have a place to go IF it ever comes to that SHTF scenario? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/do-you-have-place-go-if-ever-comes-shtf-scenario-8584/)

Harley_Guy 11-20-2008 03:42 PM

Do you have a place to go IF it ever comes to that SHTF scenario?

When my dad was a young man, in his early 20’s, he was out hunting to put food on the table. He shot a buck and didn’t put it down with one shot. He said he tracked that deer for at least 6 miles before he finally found it in a bunch of brush. When he went in to get it, he found a cave that looked like no one had ever been in. Well, he got married and had 3 kids, and went on with life. About the time the cold war got going really good, he decided he needed a place to go in case things went “to-hell-in-a-hand-basket”, and he remembered that cave. He took us kids up there to show us where it was and how to get there without him, just in case. Over the next couple of years, he had us pack in stuff that would be needed for the long stay. Stuff that would probably still be pretty good today. I doubt that most of the food stuff would still be good, but the other things like medical, water purifying, fire starting, traps for food and things like that would still be useable. The best thing about it was that it had a seep that would fill a gallon jug in about 3 hours. That water was ice cold and sweet. I haven’t been there in a few years, but the last time I was there, it was even more over grown than ever, and other than small animals, it looked like it still hasn’t been found, and the rations looked pretty good.

Now, if it came to that SHTF scenario, I would do all I could to get me and my family to that cave. It’s so far off any road or trail, it would take somebody that knew exactly where to look to find it. Took me a few tries before I remembered. As far as I know, there were only 5 people that knew where that cave was, and 3 of them are gone.

About the only thing I would have to bring would be clothes and ammo for my Winchester and my Ruger, because what ammo is there is almost as old as I am, (65), and I wouldn’t be carrying the guns it was made for. I’d use the old stuff to make mantraps, and yes, I do know how to make some pretty nasty s--t. I learned from the best over in Nam.

All that said, I hope and pray that I never find myself having to live there.

1861 11-20-2008 04:11 PM

I have two perfect places , kind of like yours , only trouble one is in another state about 900 miles from here , the other about 1100 miles so probably couldn,t get to either one .

user4 11-20-2008 04:48 PM

I am hundreds of miles away from any place where there isn't any human habitation, so seclusion is out of the question if the SHTF all of a sudden like. If I have ample time and resources, I have the best spot known to man... in Washington state, in the Olympic National Park. Icy pure water and more game than you could hope to ever need. Rawr!

Dillinger 11-20-2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable (Post 51592)
in Washington state, in the Olympic National Park. Icy pure water and more game than you could hope to ever need. Rawr!

Just make sure and announce yourself - I know a couple of guys, and their families, who MIGHT be out in those parts with some long range firepower and some electronic counter measures. :rolleyes::cool:

user4 11-20-2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 51593)
Just make sure and announce yourself - I know a couple of guys, and their families, who MIGHT be out in those parts with some long range firepower and some electronic counter measures. :rolleyes::cool:

It wouldn't surprise me. About 50 men could defend that area from a division of baddies. It's also too cold for zombies in the winter;)

Dillinger 11-20-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ineffable (Post 51594)
It wouldn't surprise me. About 50 men could defend that area from a division of baddies. It's also too cold for zombies in the winter;)

Quoted for Truth. :p

matt g 11-20-2008 05:45 PM

I know most of the Trinity Alps like the back of my hand. I spent my childhood years backpacking them with my family and Boy Scout Troop. I know of several routes into the Trinities using Forest Service and BLM roads. I'm also a stones throw for the Siskiyous, however, I'm not all that familiar with them.

Both areas are large wilderness areas that are filled with wildlife and lakes that are filled with fish. I would feel more than confident leading my family into these areas if need be.

Harley_Guy 11-20-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1861 (Post 51585)
I have two perfect places , kind of like yours , only trouble one is in another state about 900 miles from here , the other about 1100 miles so probably couldn,t get to either one .

I think you would know it was coming with enough time still be able to get to one of your places. It ain't going to happen over night. I myself am thinking about taking a long ride and checking my place out.

1861 11-20-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harley_Guy (Post 51619)
I think you would know it was coming with enough time still be able to get to one of your places. It ain't going to happen over night. I myself am thinking about taking a long ride and checking my place out.

yeah , I,m hopeing you are right .

MichaelG 11-21-2008 12:05 AM

*Gets into deer blinds, because people in the city are more blind in nature than any wildlife, and nobody around my part of Texas would go crazy.* ;)