Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Defense for Car Jacking?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Defense for Car Jacking?

What defense is there to stop a carjacking. I have had two cars stolen. One from work and one out of my driveway. Living North of Detroit in the suburbs, I am seeing many crimes commited by people from Detroit and although I have not been carjacked yet, I am wondering if there is any defense against someone getting the drop on me. One guy a few miles away driving the same car I plan to drive was carjacked, beaten and left for dead. Saved his own life by crawling to a neighbors house for help. I already have a health problem, (Diabetes), and sure don't want to get myself injured. I am aware there is an obvious cure which is to just move from my lifelong home but I cannot do that right now so any ideas would be welcome. BTW, a 50 cal would look to weird mounted to my hood.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-24-2007, 12:00 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Defense to Carjacking?

Speedracer

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

While I do carry 24/7, I find a Handgun a bit slow and not easy to use, I've opted to carry 20% O.C. Spray in a Rack in the Car. I had one attempt at A robery while in my Car and I sprayed him a FULL CAN! Green Dye in that 20% OC made it hard to say it was not himn when he went for help at the Local Hospital Clinic! LOL Worked for me, You might wanna consider that! Better than Killing someone when you really don't have to?

Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #3

I keep a pistol with me in the vehical, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to stop a carjacker. From what I have read training is the best way to be prepared. There are defense classes that you can take for any scenario. Just having the right wepon may not always be enough. I think taking control of the situation away from the would be theif would be the goal in that situation.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:00 PM   #4

Default BE Aware of your surroundings !

Keep the windows up and doors locked. Be aware when stopped or slowing down of who and what you are driving into. Try and leave an out or escape route. If someone is walking up to your car...make eye contact and lay on the horn to get everybody elses attention if you feel they may mean you harm.
If they have the drop on you...sound cooperative...as you slam the door open with all your might...be yelling heres my money..as you reach under your left arm pit to your shoulder holster and shoot them thru your over garment.!

Car jackers ususlly want just the car....if you drive a crook magnent or a look at me I have money mobile...consider changing vehicles or driving thru a different neighborhood !

Smile....you can always accomplish more with a smile and a pistol than you can with just a smile !

Old 06-30-2007, 07:52 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

While I no longer carry (pretty much impossible for a civilian in Canada, so far anyway), Both the shoulder holster and a crossdraw rig would have been used in much the same manner as Dgunsmith envisions. as one exits the vehicle present your back to the badguy(s), look over your shoulder and wreck your jacket.

"Those who have long enjoyed privileges as we enjoy, forget, in time, that men have died to win them."

Franklin D. Roosvelt

Old 07-05-2007, 12:56 PM   #6

hehehehehe!!!

Well behaved women rarely make history!

The Gun Lounge

Old 07-10-2007, 10:30 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ditto what dgunsmith said.

Plus; Leave yourself an escape route. If you are in traffic, try and stay in a lane, usually on the right, which will allow you room to maneuver. Drive on sidewalk, if you must. Don't stop too close to the car ahead of you. If you are at a stop light, run it. Keep your doors locked and windows up.

Having a firearm can be an advantage, but sometimes it is quicker and easier to simply drive away. Basic survival is situational awareness and avoiding places of possible trouble. Sometimes it is unavoidable to find yourself vulnerable. In that case, let 'em have your insurance company's car.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 07-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #8

Keep in mind your vehicle may not stay running, and prepare accordingly.

I know of situations where a group came up to a car, shoved something up the exhaust to kill the engine, then robbed the people inside (after needlessly beating them).

As already said, be aware of your surroundings.

Old 07-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #9

+1 to hit the horn at the first inkling of trouble!

So many people are frightened of being rude or looking like an idiot. The horn is there for you to use as communication. Be aware of your surroundings and before a situation can evolve hit your horn and draw that attention. I'd rather be embarrased than car-less!!

If you are caught while daydreaming then every situation will probably be different. One great solution but a paranoid one is to mount a small can of pepper spray to your door near the electronic door lock. This way it is out of sight of the perp (as long as they approach from the driver's side or front) and it looks like you are complying with their wishes. Using velcro allows removal when you leave the car. Hint: use the soft side of the velcro on the pepper spray so it doesn't stick to other stuff in your pocket.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:33 PM   #10

Diddo on keeping doors locks and windows up, I am a big fan of air-conditioning and heated seats.

My car usually has lots of guns (handguns in a bolted down safe), knifes and ammo in the trunk. With that said I am not prepared to let the car go. Most of the time I have an ankle holster on while driving and see this as my first line of defense if I can not escape a car-jacking situation. If there were no weapons in my car I'd gladly exit my car and let them have it, that's what insurance is for right!