Declining In Standard of Living? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Declining In Standard of Living?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

The real bad part of this discussion is that it could be taking place in any country in the world. Everyone is in the same sinking boat. There is very little doubt that this will end badly. All I can say is "Good luck to all and God bless."

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #22

Liked 1134 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Yeah, I'm noticing a decline in my ability to get

22LR, because Preppers have got a stranglehold

on the supply.

HEY, Preppers! DANG! Get a life, how much fargin'

22LR ammo do you need, really?
Oh maybe 20,000-30,000 or so
I quit buying off the shelf and only buy from my FFL buddy usually 5% above cost

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 08-21-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2258 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 3531

Yep, the standard of living in the US had been declining for decades. Adjusted for inflation, US wages are just below the 1989 level. We have lost 24 years of wage growth.

Meanwhile, Americans argue the vitrues of the two political partys. It's like arguing the virtues ot two made up truck stop road whores.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #24

Liked 39 Times on 32 Posts

When I was young, I had a paperroute, shovelled the whole neighborhood out when it snowed and cut grass, etc and had a job in Highschool. The further back, the more common that was for more people.

Today, most kids don't even try to get a job until after school is over. if they go to college the average person now is most often in a worthless degree and rack up huge debt to pay because they didn't save up for it.

Most are starting off bad without a job and ending up bad, living in their parent's basement and a pile of debt.

. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1514 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 3285

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaqr View Post
Meanwhile, Americans argue the vitrues of the two political partys. It's like arguing the virtues ot two made up truck stop road whores.
That pretty well describes my feelings about the politics of all it.
What I'm most curious about is whether or not this is going to be a continuing trend and how to best prepare for it? On an individual level the changes can be fast and dramatic such as suddenly loosing a job and not finding another one anytime soon, but I'm guessing the decline for most of us will be slow. Prices will slowly rise and pay cuts will slowly happen. We will slowly cut back on spending until one day most of us are dirt poor and don't even realize it. How do you prepare for that?

Old 08-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #26

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
That pretty well describes my feelings about the politics of all it.
What I'm most curious about is whether or not this is going to be a continuing trend and how to best prepare for it? On an individual level the changes can be fast and dramatic such as suddenly loosing a job and not finding another one anytime soon, but I'm guessing the decline for most of us will be slow. Prices will slowly rise and pay cuts will slowly happen. We will slowly cut back on spending until one day most of us are dirt poor and don't even realize it. How do you prepare for that?
Start learning how to work the land, and live off of mother nature. Thats the only way i know of to prepare for that situation. If things continue to decline like they are then eventually things will start regressing to the way it was 40 and 50 years ago in the rural parts of the nation. Everyone had gardens and new how to live off the land, but they also depended on each other. Trade and barter are getting more and more common now days because people are learning that you can get more of a value by trading actual goods than you can trading an almost worthless piece of paper.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:04 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556 View Post
Start learning how to work the land, and live off of mother nature. Thats the only way i know of to prepare for that situation. If things continue to decline like they are then eventually things will start regressing to the way it was 40 and 50 years ago in the rural parts of the nation. Everyone had gardens and new how to live off the land, but they also depended on each other. Trade and barter are getting more and more common now days because people are learning that you can get more of a value by trading actual goods than you can trading an almost worthless piece of paper.
I agree with what you're saying but it's more complicated than that. Most people don't have land much less the tools and knowledge to work it. And how much land should a person have? A lot of farmers lost their farms because of taxes in the Great Depression. If you have a lot of land then you have more taxes, which is ok if you're producing something of value with that land. If the bottom falls out of the markets you might not be able to produce much that has monetary value to pay those taxes?

My family were farmers during the Great Depression. They didn't even know there was a depression because they were dirt poor before it happened and during. Nothing changed for them. They survived but I hope to be able to do more than that. I hope to put myself in a position so that I'm at least comfortable in 10 years from now. I just haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:55 PM   #28

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I agree with what you're saying but it's more complicated than that. Most people don't have land much less the tools and knowledge to work it. And how much land should a person have? A lot of farmers lost their farms because of taxes in the Great Depression. If you have a lot of land then you have more taxes, which is ok if you're producing something of value with that land. If the bottom falls out of the markets you might not be able to produce much that has monetary value to pay those taxes?

My family were farmers during the Great Depression. They didn't even know there was a depression because they were dirt poor before it happened and during. Nothing changed for them. They survived but I hope to be able to do more than that. I hope to put myself in a position so that I'm at least comfortable in 10 years from now. I just haven't figured out how to do that yet.
Start selling drugs or any other illegal endeavor. Seems like the only way anyone makes money now days.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556 View Post
Start selling drugs or any other illegal endeavor. Seems like the only way anyone makes money now days.
That's how many, including Joe Kennedy, made money during and before the Great Depression!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
When I was young, I had a paperroute, shovelled the whole neighborhood out when it snowed and cut grass, etc and had a job in Highschool. The further back, the more common that was for more people.

Today, most kids don't even try to get a job until after school is over. if they go to college the average person now is most often in a worthless degree and rack up huge debt to pay because they didn't save up for it.

Most are starting off bad without a job and ending up bad, living in their parent's basement and a pile of debt.
I had noticed this same trend. My paper route bought my plinking ammo and my second bicycle and clothes and paid for my first "car" repairs.

I thought it was all just laziness until I asked some youngster shooting buddies about it. They insist that all the fast food jobs, lawn mowing jobs, paper routes, and most of the grocery bag boy jobs are no longer for kids; these employers can hire easier-to-deal-with and more-open-scheduled adults for those jobs now. I've noticed the paper routes all seem to be run by adults in little cars with enough papers for five or six routes; that is the type that took over my two routes when I left, a semi-disabled lady with seeeeveral routes in the same area. I blame the glut of inexpensive, relatively unskilled immigrant labor in this area for pushing similar non-immigrant laborers from their better paying construction and assembly line jobs. I never see kids working at the local fast food places around here, whereas, in high school, half my friends worked fast food.

I am not convinced that the youngsters are absolutely lazier than we were, but I am convinced that they have less opportunities for gainful employment.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

TLuker Likes This