The Decline of Wood Products - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > The Decline of Wood Products

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4517 Times on 2248 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

I just bought a house about 30 minutes from Amish country... I'm gonna have them
Make me some sick furniture. This thread reminded me of that. This thread is great!

Lawyers: Defending The Constitution and the citizen, since 1776.

People Like This 
Old 09-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #52

Liked 1651 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Luckily here we have, an Abundance of harvestable Wood. Of course if the idiots keep starting Forrest Fires we won't have SQUAT! The Slide rock Fire was 20 mins from where I live. Like last year when we lost 19 "Hotshots" even us Volunteers get called up for Crowd & Traffic control.

My workbench and my Desk are Made of Alder. I have Pergo XL wood Laminate Floors,.. And wood kitchen Cabinets. My Bedroom furniture is Real Cherrywood. The only trees I don't like are the two Desert Willows in my back yard, they produce flowers that are mildly poisonous to animals, ESP. "yenta" bulldogs that think everything in the Back yard is edible...until he pukes Green leaves and pink flowers...

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk
We rarely have "forest fires" in our area, even though were are surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of highly volatile pine trees. The reason is we have "controlled burns" that remove the underbrush and accumulated pine straw every year. Once the small, dead stuff is burned, it is replaced, quickly with small green stuff that is hard to ignite. It copies a natural process and is great for the trees and the wildlife.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

TLuker Likes This 
Old 09-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #53
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6861 Times on 3443 Posts
Likes Given: 7440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
We rarely have "forest fires" in our area, even though were are surrounded by tens of thousands of acres of highly volatile pine trees. The reason is we have "controlled burns" that remove the underbrush and accumulated pine straw every year. Once the small, dead stuff is burned, it is replaced, quickly with small green stuff that is hard to ignite. It copies a natural process and is great for the trees and the wildlife.
Were lucky to be a state that has as much water as land so forest fires rarely happen and never get out of control. You can still find lots of old growth rarity trees scattered around, a friend of mine thats a sawyer comes up with some awesome stuff he finds laying around or still standing. I drop by every few months to see what he has and often leave with an armload, occasionally a truckload of very nice wood.

I dont think Ive bought any quantities of hardwood from a store in years, I just cant bring myself to pay huge prices for pulpy, wide grained, prewarped, spalted (partially rotten) Oak that is better framing lumber than it is good for trim or furniture. I never buy trim, thats just nuts to pay that kinda price for toothpicks I can shape myself for 1/4 the cost.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:47 PM   #54

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post

Fruit trees are the way to go around the house. They produce something that is edible and good for you. They provide shade in the summer and let the sun shine through in the winter. And they will make some gorgeous furniture one day. What's not to love about a tree that can do all that... and it doesn't cost you anything more than the effort to plant it.
Fruit trees around here (Fla.) bring rats and other vermin. Sometimes not worth the trouble.

Old 09-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #55
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6861 Times on 3443 Posts
Likes Given: 7440

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozimoto View Post
Fruit trees around here (Fla.) bring rats and other vermin. Sometimes not worth the trouble.
Upstate NY has so much rurality that fruit trees and gardens dont have the same effect unless your in suburbia. Ive got a few orchards, lots of grapes, tons of other Animal Chow but there is so much in the woods and fields it doesnt attract much notice. That said, I do have my share of critter on my property but they are everywhere so its NBD.

FYI, Im about to go pick some fresh pears!