The Decline of Wood Products
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > The Decline of Wood Products

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 01:27 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1501 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 3265

Default The Decline of Wood Products

This might not seem very interesting but the market for wood products has really declined over the last few decades. The reason it should be of some interest is because wood is one of the most useful resources available to us. At one time houses were built almost entirely of wood along with most of the contents in them. Today there isn't much wood left in a house and that includes the structure and interior contents.

I do a little wood working just because I enjoy making nice tings but quality wood is getting harder and harder to find despite it still being an abundant material. Tree service companies literally throw away most the hardwood they cut so that should give an idea as to how plentiful the wood is but there just isn't a demand for it.

Where this really got interesting for me from a subsistence living standpoint is realizing that being dependent on all the other materials available now makes us more dependent on the global economy and less self sufficient. There isn't much you can't make for yourself from wood but how many today even know what a 2x4 is much less what to do with it? I'm not advocating using more wood or anything like that I just found it interesting at the realization that with the decline of wood we become less self sufficient. And as we become less self sufficient things made of real wood have become luxury items (go price a solid cherry dinning room table).

Just an Observation

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2014, 01:35 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9543 Times on 4105 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

Agree. Grew up on a farm. You had to buy strap iron- so it was used sparsely- and wood was used for a lot of things- including gate latches, hinges, pegged construction of doors, etc.

To work wood into a usable form- a draw knife, a brace & bit, chisels and planes. All of which are hanging in my shop, and require no electricity to operate.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 07-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #3

Liked 2573 Times on 1673 Posts

Sign of the times. A solid cherry dining room table will last a lifetime, but most people want a good deal. So they go to wally world and buy the sawdust press board furniture which looks good. Then Jr spills his kool aid on it and the whole thing warps. It lasted for awhile holding up the $1500 flat screen, and was pretty cheap, so let's try one at that other box store. It never ends, drive for five minutes on garbage day and count the sawdust furniture items on the curb.

Feral cat waterboarder

People Like This 
Old 07-07-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
For unto us a child is born..
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1895 Times on 1051 Posts
Likes Given: 5709

Wood may be plentiful, but it sure get's marked up along the way from the forest to my workbench.

I have had several friends indicate that they took down large trees, just to cut them into firewood length. Some even paid to have this done.
I do wood working. Some pieces are air-dry that I have cut, most is dimensional lumber , some is hardwood.

I would like to build more from my own air-dried harvest, but finding a source here in the PNW limits it to alder and fir.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #5

Liked 1653 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

People just aren't willing to pay for the real wood. If you are, you can still get wood products. I too enjoy shaping wood into useful items. There are no pressed wood products in my house.

Where I live, I am surrounded by tens of thousands of acres that are planted in pines that are planted and harvested in cycles. (It makes for a hunter's paradise.) Most of this timber used to be used for paper, but a good deal of it is used in plywood or particle board construction.

The Pacific Northwest exported 2.4 million cubic meters of lumber to China. In return, we get container loads disposable plastic junk that ends up in landfills, where it will stay until doomsday.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

TLuker Likes This 
Old 07-08-2014, 01:14 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1501 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 3265

The furniture and our declining standards are one thing. I mean we have replaced furniture like this from the Colonial Williamsburg collection:

Desktop.jpg

With this:

table-find-or.jpg

The part I can't understand is why we would continue to become less and less self sufficient. The piece shown at the top is well over 200 years old and was made with hand tools. Very few of us could afford a piece like that so I can understand buying the cheap stuff instead, but most of us could make something like it. Quality hand made items that used to be common place are now luxury items like wooden furniture and hand made quilts. The sad part is most of us are capable of making those luxury items for ourselves. So why would we give up our self sufficiency for cheap junk? That's the part I have a hard time understanding.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 AM   #7

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Even most guns have plastic stocks now.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:59 AM   #8

Liked 1105 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 734

TLuker, I'll have to partially disagree. Where I live, wood is still the dominant building material. Even for some commercial buildings. Firewood is in high demand, a lot of trees are chipped and sent to the power plant, and I have a choice of specialty hardwood lumber supply places that stock high-quality lumber from Africa, S. America, and the USA.

Having said that, the custom woodworking shops are struggling. One guy down the street closed outright, and he became my preferred gun shop. Another guy lives at his shop with his family, I think. The problem is that people want their TV stand NOW, not in 2 or 6 months. And skilled US labor is not cheap.

I just finished building a cherry nightstand for myself. It matches the one I built for the wife. I also completed the clock recently. It's replacing the crappy plastic one from Walmart.

File Type: jpg IMG_0069.jpg (31.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0019.jpg (29.8 KB, 87 views)

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Last edited by clr8ter; 07-08-2014 at 02:15 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-08-2014, 02:01 AM   #9

Liked 205 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 109

I have a heavy old wooden desk which I love, which is from the 1950's when all office desks were heavy. It is big enough to hold 3 P/C's and two additional monitors/screens. I have owned it for 35 years since my old firm auctioned it off after having owned it for at least another 30 years before that. It's old, and quite scratched, but beautiful in its own way. Everything else that I have which is "wood" is fake wood -- the composite glued stuff. So sad how popular the fake stuff is.

My old M-14 at OCS had a wooden stock also -- the main advantage of which was that you could use this battle rifle as a baseball bat too, if you had to.

For rifles, otherwise, I generally prefer composite stocks -- they don't warp or swell when they get wet. And I don't plan to use mine as a baseball bat anymore -- infantry days are definitely over.

File Type: jpg RUGER MINI 14 01.jpg (30.5 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by Shoobee; 07-08-2014 at 02:06 AM.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:17 AM   #10

Liked 1105 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 734

BUT, composite stocks are still real wood. It's many thin layers laminated together, and has to be worked like a solid piece of wood. So it totally counts.

I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Axxe55 Likes This