Decentralized power. - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Decentralized power.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 03:55 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

That's a very interesting point you make. Still, though, we may have barely made it, I can't really comment on what standard of measurement we're using for "barely" but consider that there are still several billion people around.

We may be causing our own destruction, but I still have faith that our instinct of survival and to avoid pain will ultimately win over.

That doesn't mean I won't be preparing however. I may be optimistic, but I try not to be naive. We may still survive, but at what cost I'm not sure.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1963 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualStudent View Post
That's a very interesting point you make. Still, though, we may have barely made it, I can't really comment on what standard of measurement we're using for "barely" but consider that there are still several billion people around.

We may be causing our own destruction, but I still have faith that our instinct of survival and to avoid pain will ultimately win over.

That doesn't mean I won't be preparing however. I may be optimistic, but I try not to be naive. We may still survive, but at what cost I'm not sure.

My standard for "barley" is the Cuban missile crisis and the cold war. I don't want to seem overly pessimistic but they didn't have doomsday clocks for any century prior to the 20th century. It's currently set at 5 minutes to midnight. And that's just based on nuclear destruction.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:54 AM   #63

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I thought it was 3, but at any rate i dont think the end will come from humans entirely. And i find it funny people worry about EMPs when the big boy power companies can restore power within 2 weeks after a "catastrophic" level mishap.

im putting my money on superbug. something mutating the wrong way and it ends up destroying 1/3rd of the planets population, oooh like the resurgence of the Spanish Flu, which killed about the same number of people as the black death, but it did it 2 years instead of 200...in 1918.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #64
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10745 Times on 4648 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

Dog- if you want something DAMNED scary to worry about- forget the Spanish Flu.

How about a PLANT disease? It damned near did the Irish in when the Potato Blight hit Ireland. Think about the effect of losing 90% of the rice and wheat crops around the world.

BTW, had a friend (Rosey has passed away now, God rest him) that during WW 2 was researching Rice Blast as a weapon that could be used against Japan. THAT was in 1943. Lord only knows what has happened with that type of research in the SIXTY NINE YEARS since then.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #65

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

How about a PLANT disease? It damned near did the Irish in when the Potato Blight hit Ireland. Think about the effect of losing 90% of the rice and wheat crops around the world.

BTW, had a friend (Rosey has passed away now, God rest him) that during WW 2 was researching Rice Blast as a weapon that could be used against Japan. THAT was in 1943. Lord only knows what has happened with that type of research in the SIXTY NINE YEARS since then.
thats a good one too. if there was some kind of microbe that could be engineered to breakdown glucose at an effective level, it wouldnt only wipe out food bearing plants, but basically all plant life. they always say the scariest stuff is usually the truthful stuff.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #66

Liked 1912 Times on 990 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogOne View Post
thats a good one too. if there was some kind of microbe that could be engineered to breakdown glucose at an effective level, it wouldnt only wipe out food bearing plants, but basically all plant life. they always say the scariest stuff is usually the truthful stuff.
Hmmm.

If there was a microbe that we could be ‘infected’ with, that was engineered to break complex carbohydrates down to amino acids at a level we could build protein from, then we could just eat grass and grow up to be big and strong like elk, moose, gorillas, etc. That would simplify the food chain.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

Thanks,c3. That will make it a lot easier to sleep tonite.