The Dead Mans Ten seconds?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > The Dead Mans Ten seconds?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 286 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default The Dead Mans Ten seconds?

I never head of the term before till last night reading the little black bood of violence (what every young man should know about fighting), Ive hunted for decades and know that a critter like a person can do a whole lotta moving round after sustaining a fatal blow.
In many stories of fighting men continuing to fight heroically for ten or more seconds after taking a fatal blow, oftentimes mortally wounding and defeating their opponents before succumbing to their injuries.

wayofnoway.com

The Tao of Derek: The Little Black Book of Violence - Review

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 32 Posts

I think it has something to do with your brain and heart not stopping because of the massive adrenaline rush going on in your body. I have heard of the term and you see it in just about every war movie one of the heros is about to die and kills his apponent then dies or saves someones life etc. The human body and will is a mysterious thing. Cage a human in or put there back against the wall they tyrn into a tiger doing wutever it takes.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10385 Times on 4482 Posts
Likes Given: 1650

Short of concussing or disrupting the brain or the spinal cord up high, the only way to stop a truly determined (or stoned) person is to shoot large bits off the body until it quits working.

This is why I am so leery of small caliber handguns for defense. Yes, a .22 can kill you. But what happens in that period between getting shot and getting dead?

I think the term is "Bad ju-ju". Very bad.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:29 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3276 Times on 1584 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Rex,

After reading this post it comes as no surprise! I thought about my hunting trip to Texas this season when I shot a 10 Point Buck. Comparing this to what we are talking about regarding the 10 Seconds. Animals are not unlike man and maybe even have more of an instinct to escape and live. To the point! I shot this deer with a Remington 7MM Mag. 150 grain Accutip Bullet. The bullet turned his lungs to mush and shredded the heart as we observed when we dressed the Buck out! Moral of the story after taking this devastating hit he ran for at an estimated 10 seconds and traveled 75 yards before wobbling and going down. The comments in this post reminded me of this incident and I think it is very relevant to a human. Look at the FBI shooting years ago in Miami with Platt and Maddox. Platt took a fatal hit in the first few minutes of confrontation and finished the gun battle with the FBI and Miami Police. That is a great example also!

Old 12-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #5

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Rex,

After reading this post it comes as no surprise! I thought about my hunting trip to Texas this season when I shot a 10 Point Buck. Comparing this to what we are talking about regarding the 10 Seconds. Animals are not unlike man and maybe even have more of an instinct to escape and live. To the point! I shot this deer with a Remington 7MM Mag. 150 grain Accutip Bullet. The bullet turned his lungs to mush and shredded the heart as we observed when we dressed the Buck out! Moral of the story after taking this devastating hit he ran for at an estimated 10 seconds and traveled 75 yards before wobbling and going down. The comments in this post reminded me of this incident and I think it is very relevant to a human. Look at the FBI shooting years ago in Miami with Platt and Maddox. Platt took a fatal hit in the first few minutes of confrontation and finished the gun battle with the FBI and Miami Police. That is a great example also!

The heart and lungs work to get blood and oxygen to the muscles and the brain. Even when you shut off the pump the blood already there can sustain movement for several seconds. That's why snipers shoot to sever the spinal cord at the base of the brain. The signals are still being sent but the connection is severed. As a wise man once told me...you can be killed by a dying man but not a dead one.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 12-10-2011 at 02:45 AM.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:42 AM   #6

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

One word, "Mozambique".

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 12-10-2011, 02:48 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1732 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 3667

Old 12-10-2011, 03:27 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6658 Times on 3542 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Rex,

i had a similar experience in a just the opposite way but it goes to the point.

bouncing around in a atv all day my 458 socom with nikon scope the scope was thrown off about 18 inches right of poa. i didnt know it and shot a doe. poa was heart and lung area. the bullet went in just in front of the rear leg and JUST under the spine. it didnt hit any bones but the shock of the 350grn round nose at 1600fps dropped the deer dead in its tracks. nothing vital was hit but the shockwave was transmitted to the spinal column killing the deer instantly.

later test firing confirmed the scope drift. it might have been the rings maybe the scope. going tomorrow to re-sight it in. using leupold mark4 super-high co-witness 1" aluminum rings instead of standard issue 1" 24$ rings.

had that bee a 223 that deer would been in the next county before it expired.

anyway its just my personal experience and re-affirms my belief in using big heavy bullets over small light ones whenever possible.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 12-10-2011 at 03:32 AM.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #9

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i had a similar experience in a just the opposite way but it goes to the point.

bouncing around in a atv all day my 458 socom with nikon scope the scope was thrown off about 18 inches right of poa. i didnt know it and shot a doe. poa was heart and lung area. the bullet went in just in front of the rear leg and JUST under the spine. it didnt hit any bones but the shock of the 350grn round nose at 1600fps dropped the deer dead in its tracks. nothing vital was hit but the shockwave was transmitted to the spinal column killing the deer instantly.

had that bee a 223 that deer would been in the next county before it expired.

anyway its just my personal experience and re-affirms my belief in using big heavy bullets over small light ones whenever possible.
Yep, that's hydrostatic shock. Theoretically if your projectile hits with at least 500 pounds of force that's what would happen. That's why I pack a .357 Mag.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 12-10-2011, 04:24 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6658 Times on 3542 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
Yep, that's hydrostatic shock. Theoretically if your projectile hits with at least 500 pounds of force that's what would happen. That's why I pack a .357 Mag.
ya i would like a 357mag carry but that round in the 158grain at the appropriate 357 mag speed in a small carry semi auto doesnt exist.

i do know about the 357sig but its not in the same class as a 158grn loading in the 357mag
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent