Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Current buying panic challenges my assumptions on ammunition stockpiling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 343 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default Current buying panic challenges my assumptions on ammunition stockpiling

So .223 ammo is always in high demand but I always felt ok about it because I have a decent hunting rifle in 30-30. However, as I planned for any disaster scenarios I figured there would always be plenty of .22 LR, 9mm, or .45 ACP right up until an actual crisis hit.

I never pictured a non-emergency wiping out access to such common calibers. Especially .22 LR, which I always keep plenty on hand anyway but I can't visit the gun range without, ya'know, using ammunition. Even 30-30 is getting difficult to come by. .38 Special also flies off the shelf and it is actually easier to find .45 ACP right now than .38 Special, .380 Auto, or 9mm Luger.

This is forcing me to re-evaluate common calibers that have lower demand. As it didn't fit with the "7 guns theory" I didn't worry about it. I figured common calibers would be useful after SHTF scenarios because it would be good to have weapons that could fire any ammunition I came across or traded for, and trade would most likely occur with what is common.

In my area .222 Remington, 30-06, and 7mm are still on the shelves in decent quantities. .40 S&W is around but diminished and .357 Magnum actually has a good selection. I'm not really interested in .44 Magnum but I do see it and I wonder if handgun hunting is a possibility. I also see plenty of .17 and .22 WMR.

This makes me wonder if at a minimum I should consider adding a 4" or 6" barrel .357 Magnum revolver to my collection and maybe a .22 WMR lever action. The other aspect this buying panic has shown me is magazine availability is a problem. I knew that before but now I am thinking I need more than my 30-30 that is not magazine reliant. I'm also seriously considering a .22 WMR revolver but I think the rifle would be more useful and is a higher priority.

Anyone else seeing the need to maybe alter plans after this recent panic buying spree?

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2013, 09:32 PM   #2

Liked 629 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 207

In your case of thinking of buying two more guns - for the $800 or more those two guns would cost you could buy alot of ammo for the ones you now own. I would just stockpile more ammo for what you have(I am).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

mudslinger79 Likes This 
Old 01-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 891 Times on 532 Posts
Likes Given: 290

If you stockpile before a crisis, you won't have to consider commercial availability should a crisis actually happen.

You are not prepared unless you have it on hand. A plan to "go buy X" in a crisis is putting a lot to luck.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #4

Liked 40 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

There are several ways to look at the issue. One way is to have one caliber and stock as much as you can. The other way is to have multiple calibers so no matter what kind of ammo is left you have a gun to shot it with. I prefer the second, but I think that is mostly because I get to buy more guns?!?!?!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #5

Well I had been slowing building my stockpile beforehand. Due to financial considerations I cannot simply purchase thousands of rounds at a time. I've got ammunition on hand so that's not a problem.

What I am referring to specifically is situations where demand has gone through the roof even though there is no crisis. That is not something I ever accounted for. To maintain proficiency I need to visit the range. To visit the range I have to expend ammunition. Thus in pre-crisis conditions I should be able to replenish what I shoot. Currently that is not happening. I do have a source for additional ammunition but I'm paying $1 to $2 more per box than usual and the seller will not sell in bulk.

That is where I am considering perhaps adopting something that is common but doesn't have the ridiculously high demand. Granted, that is a good point that $800 will buy a lot of ammunition, but I currently couldn't find $800 of ammunition right now in the calibers I was stocking. I'd like to think there is a lesson to be learned here. Prior to the panic buying I ONLY saw a serious real crisis as a reason why ammunition would not be available for general purchase.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #6

Liked 1416 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 989

For less than you would spend on one gun you could get set up for reloading. And you could even pour your own lead if need be. Once you have the lead and the molds you can make all the bullets you need. I have at least a hundred pounds of lead in my garage. Plus thousands of bullets already molded. I have at least 7 thousand rounds of loaded ammo in my collection. Almost none of it is store bought.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #7

Unfortunately, reloading is not an option for me. I've heard all the options, including some fairly interesting compact reloading setups. I just am not able to do it at this time or the foreseeable future.

I'm far from alone in this, and thus people like me will be dependent on what they can find in stores or on the Internet. Unfortunately, doing the math, I have to purchase in almost ridiculous bulk and outside of what I can do comfortably to make it worthwhile for Internet sales.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #8

Liked 40 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Crazed, what caliber you are looking for? I have recently purchased 2100 rounds of .22LR from Cabelas for $92 with $5 shipping. This allows me to shot and stay in form without using my supply of .38, .357, or 45.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5640 Times on 3317 Posts
Likes Given: 4741

Do you have some blackpowder firearms and supplies in case pre-rolled ammo becomes too scarce? There are recipes for making you own blackpowder in a serious situation. Bullet molds for .50 lead round ball are cheap. What about a bow or even a slingshot?

That said, an observation of your posts in this thread leads to a conflict: first it is indicated that your ammunition purchases must be small to fit your budget, then you discuss buying another firearm which would almost certainly cost as much or more than a bulk purchase of ammunition for one of your current calibers. If you have the cash for another firearm, you have the cash for a bulk ammo purchase.

I advise you look for a decent bulk purchase deal. I don't see revolvers being first up on the "ban it" block, so that .357 should be available post ban.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 01-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #10

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

This will pass, just like it did in 2008. By Summer you will see supplies catch up and prices dropping. The panic is of our own making. People who are crying about this are like the man who appeared in front of the judge, begging for mercy for killing his parents, on the grounds that he was an orphan.

There are times to buy.........this isn't one of them.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Rarity Likes This