Crossfit
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Crossfit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 257 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Crossfit

Wasn't sure where to put this, but survival seems fitting. Anybody here into crossfit?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #2

Liked 328 Times on 182 Posts

Yes. I'm out because of shoulder surgery but I'll be back.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #3

Liked 3859 Times on 1864 Posts
Likes Given: 701

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco View Post
Wasn't sure where to put this, but survival seems fitting. Anybody here into crossfit?
Mixed feelings about it...

I think the concept is good, but I've heard of people getting injured because they're not experienced enough to use the weights with explosive movements, whatever, that's their problem.

I did it before, but I was doing BJJ/MMA at the time, and my trainer didn't like it because it wasn't tailored enough to MMA/grappling....

But for someone looking to get in shape, if they're careful, I think it's a good workout.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-28-2013, 03:18 AM   #4

It definitely has a learning curve. If you don't actually take the time you perfect your lifts and have good form, you can get hurt really easily.

I'm almost finished with my garage/ backyard setup. Just added a tire and sledgehammer tonight. Next is a pull up bar that I can hang rings from. Thinking 2 4x4s and some post hole diggers.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovco View Post
It definitely has a learning curve. If you don't actually take the time you perfect your lifts and have good form, you can get hurt really easily.

I'm almost finished with my garage/ backyard setup. Just added a tire and sledgehammer tonight. Next is a pull up bar that I can hang rings from. Thinking 2 4x4s and some post hole diggers.
I have a 10lb sledge and a tire.

Do you have rings? You can make them, cheap.

Another thing, buy a basketball, fill it with sand (it'll weigh around 25lbs i think), wrap it in a roll of duct tape. You can slam the ball on the ground for reps, and get a killer core workout the same way.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 01-28-2013, 03:26 AM   #6

Not crossfit, I know, but try this. Buy a punching bag, don't even worry about hanging it. Mount the bag and set a timer, do 3 minute rounds. Work on punching the bag and elbowing the bag. 3 minute round.... amazing for cardio.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:46 AM   #7

I've got a set of Rogue wood rings. I used to have some home made PVC ones. I REALLY like my rings. Rogue makes nice stuff.

I've been looking at making my own slam ball because the price on those things are stupid. I might try that and do my best to destroy it, ha. I've broken like 2 medicine balls.

I also wanna take an old duffel and attach some handles to it to throw around.

I wouldn't mind getting back into sparring and rolling. Just finding someone to roll with is a challenge though.

It's another hobby along with firearms that I nerd out about.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:54 AM   #8

Slam ball with duct tape is great...just add more duct tape.

A heavy bag is great for throwing around too....

Old 01-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #9

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

My trainer actually had me doing when I was doing mma. It will get you in shape for sure. Now I don't do mma or boxing anymore so I just lift weights.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:06 PM   #10

Here's something I like to do.

Buy a heavy bag, and hacksaw the metal rings off. Now replace them with carabiners.

Now you can take the chain off, and the carabiners, and use the bag for mat work, slamming, etc, without ruining the floor, tearing your mats, or punching them...