Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Critique my bug out bag!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 977 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 1772

You have lots of good stuff and your on the right track but your bags going to come to the limit of where it cant hold any more . Either way your leaps and bounds ahead of most . I might suggest 10x10 tarp or plastic visqueen to be able to use as a shelter to stay dry and help keep your stuff dry, Protein bars I find these every once in a while on sale for $1.00 each and I buy them up , most of the good ones are meal replacements meaning you only need one per meal to get all the vitamins , calories and proteins you need to stay healthy , a camping stove of some sort These are cheap and will be back in stock on the 28th but you can burn about anything in them and their $12.99 and folds up flat, uses very little space

http://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Products-Foldable-Pocket-Cooker/dp/B000HR95NO/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1350060768&sr=8-24&keywords=folding++cook+stove
Your coffee can will be fine to cook in but its kinda big I would look at buying a nice big stainless steel cup that you can cook with , it will serve as a cooking utensil for food and or boiling water and eating utensil all in one
Find some Kydex plastic and make a sheath for your machette you will need that to do lots of chores with from cutting wood to basic uses .

I would also include vitamins and tylenol in your kit , Super glue for open wounds to keep them closed shut , Dont ask but yes it works well I know this personally . I would save some $$$ for a good compact water filter like a katadyn or MSR that are good for many thousands of gallons , small 8 oz bottle of bleach with flip spout thats capable of making drops to add to water for purification this should make roughly 59 gal of good drinking water so lond as its half way clean . The above filters listed will remove the bleach taste .
Ratio of Clorox Bleach to Water for Purification

2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water
8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water
1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water
If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.
I will keep adding to this list as I think of things but your on the right track.

Clif bars are pretty decent and bought in bulk at Sams club box of 24 for $18.98 can be bought for around 0.79 each. I like the peanut butter organic proteinand the choc chip organic protein bars best and they are very filling
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/clif-energy-bars-3-flavor-variety-pack-24ct/prod740944.ip?navAction=

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-12-2012 at 05:38 PM.
beastmode986 Likes This 
Old 10-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #22

Liked 97 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Do you have a compass?

Old 10-13-2012, 12:17 AM   #23

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I have LIVED out of a large stainless steel cup at times. Just gotta wash it between courses, if you care. Best place? A dollar store laundry section! OK, the spot welded handle may not take a hit, but...

How about a Thrift shop and find an extra small saucepan with lid. Plastic handle could burn in a fire...

Oh, and forget liquid bleach for chlorinating water IMO. Totally impractical, and worse...

Old 10-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #24

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Can or 2 of Sterno Gel fuel for cooking.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #25

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986

Since the 10/22 would be part of my bug out kit, I would need to maintain it so wouldn't a maintenance kit be in order? What should it include?
A small Otis .22 Rimfire Cleaning kit and a small extra bottle of CLP (liquid, not spray cans) and an old t-shirt which can be used as cleaning rags and other things.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #26

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Just getting into this myself. Waiting on a backpack I ordered offline/online. I know there's countless things I'd like to add so I can't tell you what to add.

But from the research I have done, I've heard that people advise against bottled water. It's an unnecessary weight. You will consume that much if not more in a day or two. Chances are your path that your bugging from will have a water source nearby. I'd suggest replacing those bottles of water with a lightweight reusable water container. That way you can pack other necessities instead.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #27

Liked 977 Times on 645 Posts
Likes Given: 1772

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56 View Post
Just getting into this myself. Waiting on a backpack I ordered offline/online. I know there's countless things I'd like to add so I can't tell you what to add.

But from the research I have done, I've heard that people advise against bottled water. It's an unnecessary weight. You will consume that much if not more in a day or two. Chances are your path that your bugging from will have a water source nearby. I'd suggest replacing those bottles of water with a lightweight reusable water container. That way you can pack other necessities instead.
I disagree. You want to have those to store some water in for cooking, cleaning, bathing etc. One refillable water bottle is a PITA. And u may have to go a ways for a clean water source more bottles = lesser trips. I do suggest a water filter
Old 10-14-2012, 12:59 AM   #28
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

(Sorry if I'm repeating what others have said.)

Good that you have socks. If you're in heavy rain or fall into a body of water, they won't do you any good if they're soaking wet. Get a dry-sack for socks and the TP, any electronics, and paper. I suggest you add underwear, a t-shirt, and possibly other clothes as well. A sweatshirt, t-shirt, underwear, socks and sweat pants can be rolled up, put in a dry-sack, sat on and sealed up to take up very little space.

You can pick up a couple rolls of toilet paper for backpackers that will probably be as much as you'll need but take up a whole lot less space than a regular roll. I also suggest getting some duct tape for backpackers.

Tinder is a great idea. I suggest getting a big glob of Vaseline and rubbing it into the dryer lint and keeping it in a small Zip-Loc bag. Having at least two lighters or more than one way to make fire is a great idea, too.

Food. Ramen noodles aren't what you want. It's lightweight, yes, but it requires water and heat to eat it and it gives you precious little energy in return. Get a few of your favorite energy bars (I like Balance bars; get whatever you'll actually eat). Trail mix isn't a bad snack - good job. Carbs will fill you up but won't deliver energy. You need protein. Swap the rice cakes for jerkey at least.

Water. Get a Camelback bladder you can attach to the outside of your bag for drinking as you're walking. Get a filtration system to keep in your bag to purify water from natural sources. Water is heavy - don't carry more than you need to. If you're in a really arid local, forget what I said.

Machete. Get or make a sheath and keep it on the outside of your bag.

Hygeine kit is good - make sure that stuff stays dry.

Having a pencil is good. Having something to write on is necessary - add that if you don't already have it. Also, throw in a permanent Sharpie marker so you can leave messages to others (eg: on the back of road signs).

The antisceptic wash and bug spray are good ideas, but put those in their own zip-loc baggies in case the containers break.

Cordage is excellent - good job. I also suggest getting a cheap tarp with grommets from Target or Wal-Mart. That way, you can easily put up shelter if you need to.

Your fire-starting kit is great, except for one thing: it is kept in a cardboard tube container. If it gets soaked, your lighters will work but your tinder and matches are gone. Either put that in a big zip-loc baggie or get a dry-sack for it.

What's the purpose of this bag? Is it to help you get home or get to some other safe location? It probably is. So I suggest keeping it with you in your car if you don't already keep it there. I suggest adding an atlas or at least a map or two of your area and a compass.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:58 AM   #29

Liked 812 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Beast;
I leave it to you to determine how many calories per day you need and how many days your bag is meant for. But here are some of what you might buy...

I got these on sale today for $1.75 each at a PathMark supermarket, not needing them but noticing them because of your question... A very fair price, and I have been buying MetRx Big 100's a few cases at a time for many years. These ready-to-eat Meal Replacement Bars (MRB's) average about 400 calories each. Note that they have about 30 grams of protein each (see the label?), or about 30% of their calories come from protein. That's what you want to be healthy. Proteins are the difficult nutritional component to get (our diets get them primarily from meat, poultry and fish, some from beans and a little from wheat).

About 1/4 of the calories in these MRB's come from fats and the rest are from carbohydrates (that, contrary to what someone else said, provide energy, at least quickly). These are about the nutritional proportions you want long term -- these are inexpensive, available, balanced emergency foods. Feel free to add a generic daily multi-vitamin and mineral tablet to your kit...

Now take a look at the compact size. That's a Bicentennial Quarter in the first pic. They weigh only 3-1/2 ounces ea. (no, not the Quarters!). Compare the size of equal number of calories of MRB's vs. a bulky, heavy, and expensive (actually unavailable-to-civilians for years) chock full o'too-many-goodies MRE!

Good luck.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 10-21-2012 at 03:41 AM.
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 10-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great start. I too have a get home bag.I am taking notes from this thread to improve mine. Thanks for all the great suggestions!