Critique my bug out bag!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Critique my bug out bag!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default Critique my bug out bag!

What do you guys think? What should I add take out or replace???
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Good for u lad!

More food -- find protein bars at supermarket or chain drugstores when they're ON SALE. You want them to be about 30% calories from protein. Understand and plan your calories. They get mushy in heat but you are woefully low in food. And don't cook in those plastic-spray-lined tin cans -- yuck.

Warmth? I do like the new breathable waterproof bivvy bag but they are pricey. Think of them as a super light and compact sleeping bag and tent for $50.

Underwear.

A little bar of soap. And learn the George Carlin joke about what to wash.

Pencil and paper?

How about a sheath for that machete!!! Or dump it.

That's off the top of my head...

Old 10-12-2012, 01:22 AM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Love it. Are you a prepper? I happen to be one myself and yours is better than mine but mine is a meetup bag to get to my shelter my group had put together.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:33 AM   #4

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Yes I am but I'm just starting out, only have 2 weeks of food and water. What should I replace the coffee cans with? I heard there fine to use to cook with. I'll be adding wool socks soon as well. I'll also be adding soap soon. I also recently got a thermos brand insulated aluminum water bottle.

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:42 AM   #5

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986
Yes I am but I'm just starting out, only have 2 weeks of food and water. What should I replace the coffee cans with? I heard there fine to use to cook with. I'll be adding wool socks soon as well. I'll also be adding soap soon. I also recently got a thermos brand insulated aluminum water bottle.
I am starting too, it'll be an adventure! What state ate you in?

Old 10-12-2012, 04:36 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Ill think if some more but I don't think I saw any gloves. Correct me if im wrong though.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

For all the starting prepers, check this out:

www.beerbudgetsurvival.com

The site was constructed by and is maintained by my brother so any and all feedback is welcome and appreciated.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 662 Times on 404 Posts
Likes Given: 3741

Looks pretty good for a starter bag.

HockaLouis made some very good points.

I do have a few suggestions of my own...

The TP you have (not in the coffee tin) should be in a waterproof bag (maybe a Ziploc), same with the socks. You might also want to add a change of clothes (pants, shirt, undies).

Those candles - are they emergency or tea light?

Also, didn't notice a first aid kit.

So far, I'd have to say good start. Keep working on it.

Also, take all of this stuff and go camping with it (and not in perfect weather, either - though, don't do anything to endanger yourself). Use it - to make sure you know HOW to use it, and that it does actually work for what you want it to do.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 10-12-2012, 06:55 AM   #9

Liked 113 Times on 84 Posts

You are missing a couple necessities.

No not a gun!!

Baby wipes, sunscreen, and a jungle hat that you can just roll up.

They make sunscreen with bug repellant in it, so you can keep to one bottle .

How about a paracord bracelet or 4. They become the rope you need when you need it. http://www.amazon.com/Para-Cord-Survival-Bracelet-Black-Inch/dp/B003AO4MXE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350024812&sr=8-1&keywords=paracord+bracelet

Keep up the great work and the 10/22 is an awesome choice. Or an AR-7

Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Congratulations, you are two steps ahead of 99.9% of the population.
I have to agree with the previous comment about more food. Lots more food! This bag should sustain you for 72 hours. More water too.
I made the investment in a food-saver vacuum system( worth every penny) I have everything individually vac-packed.
Might I suggest a field manual to help you identify potential resources. Also a map and compass. My list could go on and on. Just keep in mind that everything should multi-task.
You have a great start here, my BOB weighs about 45lbs, I carry the majority of the gear, my wife's weighs about 25lbs.