Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Criteria for SHTF Guns....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 02:02 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Gotta think about if the economy tanks, people will probably go psycho and start forming little armed mobs, killing and collecting loot. Need a gun with some oomph, lots of rounds; AK is perfect. Dragunov even better for the long shots. But the best weapon you have is your mind. Better start reading those field manuals.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #22

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 240

12 gauge shotgun. Great for up close and personal, and although I don't want or plan on engaging people too far away, It can make accurate 200 yard shots if need be. Ammo is also plentiful and relatively cheap. Only drawback is the size and weight of the ammo. Its a great all around hunting/defense tool. It doesn't have to be your main weapon but I think everybody should have one.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 12-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #23

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmaster456 View Post
12 gauge shotgun. Great for up close and personal, and although I don't want or plan on engaging people too far away, It can make accurate 200 yard shots if need be. Ammo is also plentiful and relatively cheap. Only drawback is the size and weight of the ammo. Its a great all around hunting/defense tool. It doesn't have to be your main weapon but I think everybody should have one.
Yep. It doesn't matter how many guns are in your cabinet, if there isn't a 12 gauge in there your cabinet will always be half empty.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 12-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #24

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo

Yep. It doesn't matter how many guns are in your cabinet, if there isn't a 12 gauge in there your cabinet will always be half empty.
Thanks, and here I am wanting another pistol!

Oh well, I told the wife that for next Christmas or my birth day I'd like an 870 magnum/super mag. I have a buddy who has been trying to get me to go duck hunting with him. He's got a loaner gun, but I've been stalling because I don't mind shooting some one's gun on the range, but I don't like to borrow some one's gun quite like that.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:13 PM   #25
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb View Post
What happens with the cap and ball revolvers when you run out of caps
If you have gone that far down the crapper then you will be fighting with sticks. Caps are uber cheapo...AND with a little inegeuity you can re-use the caps (at least the hulls). Mercury fulmate isn't hard to come by.

With some forethought...you can even convert your caplock rifle back to flintlock. I haven't got there yet...but...there is that option.

I have about 1200 caps in sealed tins already.

Do you really think that once you've gone that far down the ladder that you're going to be in pitched battles?

Who knows? Will I keep buying a tin or two when I go to Sportmans or Cabelas or Bass Pro? Yep. Why not? They're inexpensive. They are things you may scrounge later.

The mistake is not planning for it. Worst case...you have cool old stuff to shoot someday.

Would you eschew adding a knife to your pack becasue it can get dull?

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #26

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

When I first got interested in preparedness and firearms, I thought the world revolved around handguns. Handguns are great for carry, but when the zombies are coming down my street, the only firearms in my hand will have long barrels.

Don't discount the 12-gauge with slugs! That'll make a zombie lose their will to fight on.

I don't have endless disposable income so I've had to prioritize my "needs." I want to be ready and I now feel somewhat ready with my AR-15 in 5.56mm, a 12-gauge, a .22 rifle and some sidearms.

But my goal going forward is to be MORE ready every month. Ammo is expensive, especially for long arms. Next on my list is a M1A scout in .308.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #27
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
When I first got interested in preparedness and firearms, I thought the world revolved around handguns. Handguns are great for carry, but when the zombies are coming down my street, the only firearms in my hand will have long barrels.

Don't discount the 12-gauge with slugs! That'll make a zombie lose their will to fight on.

I don't have endless disposable income so I've had to prioritize my "needs." I want to be ready and I now feel somewhat ready with my AR-15 in 5.56mm, a 12-gauge, a .22 rifle and some sidearms.

But my goal going forward is to be MORE ready every month. Ammo is expensive, especially for long arms. Next on my list is a M1A scout in .308.
And that's kind of the point though.

I have a metric ****load of guns. Why? I like guns.

BUT...I have very few that I consider "Doomsday Guns". I made choices based upon perceived need and commonality of ammunition and ease of use and maintenance.

The rest of my guns will be great to have IF we wind up bugging in, which is my plan as we live out in the middle of nowhere...BUT...if we bug out. They get stored and hidden with whatever else I think I MAY be able to get back to someday. The fact is...I will leave my .338 Lapua in the safe and TAKE my .308. I will leave my Ithaca Mag 10 Roadblocker, and TAKE my 870. I will leave my Model 29 and TAKE my 460 magnum (because with it, I can shoot THREE calibers).

Use common sense...pare it down to "neccessary" and invest in food and ammo.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post

Good answers here! My plan is to start dropping the zombies at about 500 yards using my long work bolt action in 7mm Rem Mag. Their heads will explode like ripe melons with a 162 soft-tip from my trusty seven mike-mike.

Then I go to the AR in 5.56 mm for my mid-range work (inside 300 yards) and finally do the clean-up with the 12 ga. pump up close (inside 50 yards). 00-buck and slugs are perfect for the scatter-gun.

Sure I'll have a hi-cap pistol on my hip with several refills, but I hope I don't have to go to that. That would mean the zombies are within 20 yards and I'm all out of shotgun ammo..

Last edited by Snakedriver; 12-27-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:17 PM   #29
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Good answers here! My plan is to start dropping the zombies at about 500 yards using my long work bolt action in 7mm Rem Mag. Their heads will explode like ripe melons with a 162 soft-tip from my trusty seven mike-mike.

Then I go to the AR in 5.56 mm for my mid-range work (inside 300 yards) and finally do the clean-up with the 12 ga. pump up close (inside 50 yards). 00-buck and slugs are perfect for the scatter-gun.

Sure I'll have a hi-cap pistol on my hip with several refills, but I hope I don't have to go to that. That would mean the zombies are within 20 yards and I'm all out of shotgun ammo..
Yeah...realistically...IF you are down to using your pistol...you are in really DEEP ****. ANY TIME you are firing a weapon at another "human being" (using that term loosely), by definition you are in deep ****, because if you're not, you shouldn't be firing a gun at someone. If I know I am going to a gun fight...I am just going to stay home. If a gun fight comes to me...I want my rifle/shotgun/pistol/knife/fists in that order.

However...if the zombies have attacked and all has gone to hell in a handbasket...I want to have as much standoff capability as I can. I think your pistol in that situation is going to be more a "tool of comfort" than a front-line primary weapon anyway.

P.S. You should always keep a fat chick around if SHTF...that way if you have to run away, you only have to run faster than the heifer you throw to the zombies as a diversion....just sayin'

Last edited by AZL; 12-27-2011 at 07:19 PM.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:28 PM   #30

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL View Post
P.S. You should always keep a fat chick around if SHTF...that way if you have to run away, you only have to run faster than the heifer you throw to the zombies as a diversion......just sayin'
That is some funny stuff right there!