You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Criteria for SHTF Guns....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The most important thing for me is reliabilaty, durability. Nothin bets an AK-47. But once you choose your rifle be sure to practice and train with it, and all your guns. Me and my group got airsoft guns to match are real ones, then we practice/play in the area we'd most likely be in when SHTF.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #12

7.62x39 would be a great round for a SHTF situation in my opinion. The ability to penetrate a vehicle / glass / wood and still have enough mass and energy to do some damage is a plus, not counting the .50BMG (too heavy, limited ammo, mostly long range). A .223 could do it, but it's so light it would probably lose a lot of energy upon penetration of a hard object.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #13
AZL

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Glock 17 and 22 (three of each) ~ There are three members in my IMMEDIATE family, thus as 40 is the MOST popular caliber among police officers, it stands to reason that one will have the best chance of scrounging it, followed by 9mm.

Smith & Wesson Model 586/686 4 or 6 inch 357 revolvers (Three of them, reason stated above) The L Frame Magnum is hardier than the beloved K Frame, and will shoot 38 as well as 357 ammo with aplomb, and 38 and 357 OUGHT to be fairly easy to scrounge as well as being capable of being loaded with BLACK POWDER in a pinch.

.22lr pistols and or revolvers No need to explain further.

The above mentioned handguns are already in and separate from my other everyday shooting and carrying guns...there and ready of needed in a B-O-B along with NEW magazines, spring kits, various parts, tools.

Long Guns:

Remington Model 700 .308 and Winchester Model 70 .308, set up for long range tactical (hate that word) use.

M4 for everyone in the house

Ruger 10/22 for everyone in the house.

Remington 870 in 12 gauge for everyone in the house.

Rossi and Marlin lever action .357 carbines (one for each family member)

20/16/and 410 gauge shotguns are also present but not considered CRITICAL gear....just good to have for the ammo scrounging reasons already stated.

NOW...y'all may laugh but I feel the next short list of guns us ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to anyone who is truly prepared:

1860 Colt (Uberti) .44 Caliber black powder revolvers (2 each for the family)
CVA .50 Caliber Hawken rifles

In the area where I live...you can find ALL YOU NEED to make your own black powder. With a simple hand coffee grinder, you can mix it quite effectively. I know this because I have done it and experimented with it.

What happens when you are out of ammo? Out of components for reloading? Out of luck?

I'd rather have a charcoal burner that will still shoot than nothing.

You MAY find a cache of ammo for your other stuff somewhere...but isn't it comforting to know you can still shoot them zombies with "archaic" guns that go BANG when you need them to? They are also VERY reasonably priced to purchase, not considered "firearms" by dot.gov and even many gun enthusiasts don't know how to load one. I may be wrong, but save some time and assume I am right.

My 7 year old knows how to load and shoot "her" Navy Six's. She also has a .45 Caliber Hawken by CVA that I cut down to fit her.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
mcb

Liked 71 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL
Glock 17 and 22 (three of each) ~ There are three members in my IMMEDIATE family, thus as 40 is the MOST popular caliber among police officers, it stands to reason that one will have the best chance of scrounging it, followed by 9mm.

Smith & Wesson Model 586/686 4 or 6 inch 357 revolvers (Three of them, reason stated above) The L Frame Magnum is hardier than the beloved K Frame, and will shoot 38 as well as 357 ammo with aplomb, and 38 and 357 OUGHT to be fairly easy to scrounge as well as being capable of being loaded with BLACK POWDER in a pinch.

.22lr pistols and or revolvers No need to explain further.

The above mentioned handguns are already in and separate from my other everyday shooting and carrying guns...there and ready of needed in a B-O-B along with NEW magazines, spring kits, various parts, tools.

Long Guns:

Remington Model 700 .308 and Winchester Model 70 .308, set up for long range tactical (hate that word) use.

M4 for everyone in the house

Ruger 10/22 for everyone in the house.

Remington 870 in 12 gauge for everyone in the house.

Rossi and Marlin lever action .357 carbines (one for each family member)

20/16/and 410 gauge shotguns are also present but not considered CRITICAL gear....just good to have for the ammo scrounging reasons already stated.

NOW...y'all may laugh but I feel the next short list of guns us ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL to anyone who is truly prepared:

1860 Colt (Uberti) .44 Caliber black powder revolvers (2 each for the family)
CVA .50 Caliber Hawken rifles

In the area where I live...you can find ALL YOU NEED to make your own black powder. With a simple hand coffee grinder, you can mix it quite effectively. I know this because I have done it and experimented with it.

What happens when you are out of ammo? Out of components for reloading? Out of luck?

I'd rather have a charcoal burner that will still shoot than nothing.

You MAY find a cache of ammo for your other stuff somewhere...but isn't it comforting to know you can still shoot them zombies with "archaic" guns that go BANG when you need them to? They are also VERY reasonably priced to purchase, not considered "firearms" by dot.gov and even many gun enthusiasts don't know how to load one. I may be wrong, but save some time and assume I am right.

My 7 year old knows how to load and shoot "her" Navy Six's. She also has a .45 Caliber Hawken by CVA that I cut down to fit her.
What happens with the cap and ball revolvers when you run out of caps

Old 12-26-2011, 08:16 PM   #15

Liked 9218 Times on 5061 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb

What happens with the cap and ball revolvers when you run out of caps
Make your own. You can make your own powder too. And your own bullets. The recipes for powder and caps can be found online. I've printed several and keep them in hardcopy.

Last edited by trip286; 12-26-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #16

As for myself, family, and friends, we all sort of stay with the same ammo groups:
small game and light work, .22 tons of ammo and parts.
.223 mini 14's and ARs. lots of ammo and reloading supplies.
.308 ARs and bolt rifles with lots of ammo and reloading supplies.
Pistols are all .357, .45, and .22 with plenty of reloading supplies and ammo.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:23 PM   #17
mcb

Liked 71 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Make your own. You can make your own powder too. And your own bullets. The recipes for powder and caps can be found online. I've printed several and keep them in hardcopy.
Interesting thanks for the info.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #18

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 162

When the shtf my initial reaction is to get ammo. The problem with that idea is that everyone else shares it. The ammo drought of '09 is a good example. All of the common calibers were sold out with only the oddball calibers remaining. The only exception was 12 & 410 gauge. That's why I packed a Judge & bp revolver. Of course I'd recommend stocking up on ammo now.

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 12-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
When the shtf my initial reaction is to get ammo. The problem with that idea is that everyone else shares it. The ammo drought of '09 is a good example. All of the common calibers were sold out with only the oddball calibers remaining. The only exception was 12 & 410 gauge. That's why I packed a Judge & bp revolver. Of course I'd recommend stocking up on ammo now.
YES...! Exactly..! Now I'll just be Reloading (a new hobby) and Buying lots of ammo, and just have the ammo the three of us need. All the friends and family in the network will swap round for round if need be.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #20

Liked 90 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 13

i like my mossberg 12 guage can shoot birds/deer/ Buckshot is good defence round and i got 22. small game i just got a 22.magnum great gun more power than a 22. but ammo more expensive and i cant find it in bulk but they call it the poachers gun