Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Criteria for SHTF Guns....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 671 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 676

Default Criteria for SHTF Guns....

Ok, I know there have been threads like this before, but, they have focused more on the gun.. Im interested in what criteria you use to choose that gun, ie,. Is it the one your most proficient with? Type of action used? Availability of ammo in a SHTF situation? What others in your group will be carrying? The "look" of the gun? (Some want the tactical look to be "scary", others want a "normal" looking gun so they arent so threatening looking and kinda "blend in".)
So whats important when choosing a SHTF gun?

I ask because I want a M1 Garand to be my SHTF gun.. But my buddy made a good point with my SKS.. He has a mini-30 so we could "share" ammo.. and more people in our area have guns that shoot 7.62x39 over .30-06 so the ammo would be easier to find and to use in a group setting...

My main plain is to bug in, but just in case I have to leave.. I dont want to be stuck at my safe deciding what to grab...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

The group of friends and I all use 5.56, .30-06, .22lr and 12ga. There's a mix of handgun rounds, .308 and .50 in there, too. But we have a good supply of ammo we can all use as well as spare parts for common guns.

The Garand is a very fine rifle (I just got one myself), but the 8 round clip could be limiting and it's heavy. So's the ammo. Everything's a trade-off, I guess. I'm not sure what a SHTF gun is. In a SHTF situation, you want as many options as possible and having a bunch of guns and ammo makes the most sense. If you mean you'll be on foot, that's a different story. I'd probably go for my AR in that case just for weight considerations, mag capacity, and availability of ammo. My Garand would not be my first choice.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:05 PM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I look at in terms of use. Personal defense is a pistol. I prefer a high capacity semi auto for that. Home defense can be the pistol, short barreled shotgun, 30-30 lever gun, or an AR. If an overwatch is called for then a precision rifle with a good scope is my choice. In any case a good supply of ammunition, cleaning materials, and spare parts and magazines is a good idea.

This is all in terms of staying put where I am. If a person was to be moving by foot they are in a disadvantage in the number of weapons they can carry as well as the ammo for them.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 12-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Something in 22 LR. There is a billion rounds available and the round will allow you to take small game and still keep bad folks at bay. A bolt action is simple and reliable.

So my criteria are

• Abundant ammo
    Simple reliable action
    not too heavy
    handgun and long gun can shoot same ammo

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 12-26-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:01 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1950

A variety of guns is best at home or a defensive location, but I have no idea what one gun I would go with on foot? I've been struggling with that one for awhile. I would definitely be standing in front my cabinet scratching my head. I get a headache every time I think about it. There are just to many unknown factors. A semi auto center fire with extra mags would be the way to go if a serious defensive weapon were needed. A .22lr would be ideal for small game. A good tack driving bolt action for long range, dependability, and general use. The best gun would depend on what situation you ended up in, but I have no idea what that situation would be?

In your particular situation, if your buddy has something for up close defense, you might want to think about long range precision? A nice tack driving bolt action would add extra capabilities to your group. At the same time, you might need all the rapid fire power you can get to go with your buddies mini? It all depends on the situation, and that's the one thing none of us are sure about. Also keep in mind with a battle rifle like the Garand, the troops that used them had supply lines. You won't. Good thread.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:41 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7655 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

I would pack my Mini-14. I have tons of ammo for it and it is readily available if I am on foot. The 10-22 would be another good choice, its a tack driver, light and the ammo is very light, lethal, and even more readily available. Plus I have a couple of handguns in.22 lr that would use the same ammo.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1057 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I would pack my Mini-14. I have tons of ammo for it and it is readily available if I am on foot. The 10-22 would be another good choice, its a tack driver, light and the ammo is very light, lethal, and even more readily available. Plus I have a couple of handguns in.22 lr that would use the same ammo.
That's the direction I'm leaning towards. The three I have the hardest time choosing between are my Mini-14, 10/22, and Savage bolt action 22mag. Ammo is lighter for all three than for a battle rifle or shotgun, and so I could carry a lot of it. The Savage would be the best for hunting and the Mini would be the best defensive weapon. The 10/22 would be the best for small game and still offer plenty of shots for defense. I'm getting a headache again.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7655 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
That's the direction I'm leaning towards. The three I have the hardest time choosing between are my Mini-14, 10/22, and Savage bolt action 22mag. Ammo is lighter for all three than for a battle rifle or shotgun, and so I could carry a lot of it. The Savage would be the best for hunting and the Mini would be the best defensive weapon. The 10/22 would be the best for small game and still offer plenty of shots for defense. I'm getting a headache again.
I will have to change my choices. I have two teenage boys so we could pack a long gun and a handgun each. The Mini14 would go, with ammo. One of the boys would have the 10/22 and the other would have his Marlin 795. That is if we were to leave and go anywhere (unlikely to happen.)

Old 12-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #9

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post

So my criteria are[LIST]
Abundant ammo
Simple reliable action
^that

After years of rotating guns around, I've settled on a Glock G19, a Remington 870, and a BCM AR.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #10

Liked 3679 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

My .02....

It depends on what you mean by SHTF...this could mean a lot of very different, very plausible scenarios. For example, my SHTF gun that I would use most in an economic collapse, would greatly differ from say, a public roundup, "Wolverines" style defense. The decision to stay, or bug out makes the world of difference as well. For example, I moved from a town to the country recently, and that alone has caused me to favor the FN-FAL over a yugo Ak-47 underfolder. If I had to "bug out" I would probably revert back to the AK, for the ability to carry more ammo, and the ability to more easily maneuver in and out of cars, and tight urban spaces.
If it were an economic collapse, a .22 with subsonic ammo will get me lots of edible small game, without alerting the world that someone is in the woods, shooting. And for that matter, a compound bow can net deer and larger game with no one the wiser. What if food was scarce and/or unafordable, would you obey game laws against shooting deer at night? Would you be worried about nosy neighbors? Maybe a bow would be better. These are things I consider in my decision.

I guess I could've just said, buy as much guns and ammo as possible , and choose the best one suited to the situation at hand.