Creating your own first aid/survival kit - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Creating your own first aid/survival kit

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #31
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Decisive Terrain
Posts: 2,030
Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
Correct 7 Pt.! At least the basic first aid & CPR/AED! I did the AFA(adv. first aid) & EMT Red Cross courses long ago and have gone for updates every 2-3 yrs. since(required to be a HS or college athletics coach). last refresher class was mid-late 2011 so i'm due next year...

Yeah Doc, and alot of these courses are free or pretty cheap. I took the EMT/B at a local community college at night. And CPR/AED at the fire dept.

With regard to the OP, it's one thing to have a first aid kit...I think it's more important that you know what to do.
__________________
Marines, Infantry
145th Airlift Wing, NCANG
NRA Life


Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous
7point62 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NC1760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nawth Cackalackee
Posts: 953
Liked 687 Times on 377 Posts
Likes Given: 1449

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
With regard to the OP, it's one thing to have a first aid kit...I think it's more important that you know what to do.
Completely agree... but I'm sure the original question had to do with just having a small B.O.B. or kit to cover the 80% of situations that could become a survival scenario (car brakes down isolated... lost on the trail... etc) ... and while I know there are highly trained individuals here on the forum like medics, firemen, EMT's and vets (and don't get me wrong... I respect & salute you all!!).. There are life threatening situations that can never be fully prepared if there is not professional near by.. no matter what you have in your bag.... and there comes a point where you get the cell phone out, pray you have bars and call in help!!! If you can't... well it might just be your time.
For me.. I'll just keep up my Red Cross certification in 1st aid and CPR updated and keep the bag handy... OH and pray I can get bars when and IF I turn my cell on in the woods...
__________________
NC1760 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
OH and pray I can get bars when and IF I turn my cell on in the woods...
Get an EPIRB, especially if you spend a lot of time alone out there. They now have them for land based use.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NC1760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nawth Cackalackee
Posts: 953
Liked 687 Times on 377 Posts
Likes Given: 1449

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Get an EPIRB, especially if you spend a lot of time alone out there. They now have them for land based use.
..Alone ??? I'm never alone in the woods. Either my wife & son are in tow.. my trekking/hunting/reenacting buddies... I would have to just take off without a word to anyone if I wanted to be alone. I'm lucky my family doesn't call in a missing person's report when I go to the bathroom!!
...But I digress... The EPIRB is a excellent idea for very isolated situations of single or small parties (those lucky $h*ts!!)...You can pick up a SPOT GPS messenger type for about $80 off Amazon.
__________________
NC1760 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #35
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,670
Liked 3153 Times on 2143 Posts
Likes Given: 682

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760
Completely agree... but I'm sure the original question had to do with just having a small B.O.B. or kit to cover the 80% of situations that could become a survival scenario (car brakes down isolated... lost on the trail... etc) ... and while I know there are highly trained individuals here on the forum like medics, firemen, EMT's and vets (and don't get me wrong... I respect & salute you all!!).. There are life threatening situations that can never be fully prepared if there is not professional near by.. no matter what you have in your bag.... and there comes a point where you get the cell phone out, pray you have bars and call in help!!! If you can't... well it might just be your time.
For me.. I'll just keep up my Red Cross certification in 1st aid and CPR updated and keep the bag handy... OH and pray I can get bars when and IF I turn my cell on in the woods...
Oneof the reasons i'm investigating a sat. hook up for my iPhone or a reg Sat.Phone....
__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #36
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,670
Liked 3153 Times on 2143 Posts
Likes Given: 682

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760

..Alone ??? I'm never alone in the woods. Either my wife & son are in tow.. my trekking/hunting/reenacting buddies... I would have to just take off without a word to anyone if I wanted to be alone. I'm lucky my family doesn't call in a missing person's report when I go to the bathroom!!
...But I digress... The EPIRB is a excellent idea for very isolated situations of single or small parties (those lucky $h*ts!!)...You can pick up a SPOT GPS messenger type for about $80 off Amazon.
NC I have seen them for $99 in BIG 5 but isn't there a monthly service fee??
__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #37
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NC1760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nawth Cackalackee
Posts: 953
Liked 687 Times on 377 Posts
Likes Given: 1449

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
NC I have seen them for $99 in BIG 5 but isn't there a monthly service fee??
Honestly... I have no idea. I do know you have to register it w/ the NOAA; http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/beacon.html ... but there's no mention of a fee. Does anyone else here have any further info ??? Seriously... I'm thinking this would be a great thing to have IF it's not prohibitively expensive.
__________________
NC1760 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jacksonville,FL
Posts: 2,831
Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
NC I have seen them for $99 in BIG 5 but isn't there a monthly service fee??
There should not be a fee for a standard PLB or PLB with GPS. This is not to be confused with the SPOT beacons that will also notify your family if you activate it. These may or may not incur a subscription fee.
__________________
Doc3402 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
spack762's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 191
Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Good sound advise. Get all tue training you can then practice, practice. just finished putting my kit together. This kit I carry with me 90% of the time. Work, shopping, church, family get togethers. Sure my family and friends may laugh alittle, poke fun of what I carry. Until they have need of something
I carry it in my pockits and my 5.11,tan, tact vest and my LC2 backpack. Heavy? Lil'bit. Hot? Yep. But knowing that I have within easy reach the stuff Ill need to survie, a lot of stuff, and make it home to my family is worth it.
Its a long list of stuff, if you want a full list jist ask me.

__________________
spack762 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:56 AM   #40
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 7,670
Liked 3153 Times on 2143 Posts
Likes Given: 682

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spack762
Good sound advise. Get all tue training you can then practice, practice. just finished putting my kit together. This kit I carry with me 90% of the time. Work, shopping, church, family get togethers. Sure my family and friends may laugh alittle, poke fun of what I carry. Until they have need of something
I carry it in my pockits and my 5.11,tan, tact vest and my LC2 backpack. Heavy? Lil'bit. Hot? Yep. But knowing that I have within easy reach the stuff Ill need to survie, a lot of stuff, and make it home to my family is worth it.
Its a long list of stuff, if you want a full list jist ask me.
Spack please Pm me your list! Thanks!
__________________

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

DrFootball is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
School creating sheeple Jagermeister Politics, Religion and Controversy 28 04-15-2013 11:29 PM
Creating a natural point BeyondTheBox Semi-Auto Handguns 1 04-01-2013 02:47 PM
Creating a blank firing adapter for the AR-15 indyfan AR-15 Discussion 6 07-05-2012 09:03 PM
Gun-Toting Santa Creating Controversy Bigcat_hunter Legal and Activism 29 04-01-2011 04:31 PM