Creating your own first aid/survival kit - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Creating your own first aid/survival kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2042

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
Plus it's always pointed to where you're looking.... Oh and I never go hiking/camping without baby wipes or wetnaps handy either....
Headlamp or not, when nature calls in the middle of the woods, in the middle of the night, I don't like taking a chance on cleaning up with the wrong leaf (..know what I mean.. nudge nudge, wink wink.. say no more!!)...
Yup and those feel pretty good when you have been hiking all day and have ape ass

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
People Like This 
Old 07-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 15

You should also consider feminine hygiene products, the older style napkins had well-defined edges and were good for building a supported dressing for impaled objects (like arrows). Rumor has it that tampons make good bullet hole plugs. never seen it done, I'm skeptical; any bullet hole that big is probably lethal, going in or coming out. It might make a decent "chew" for jaw / mandible injuries and suck up the inside blood too.

Listerine yellow / traditional is an excellent disinfectant; kills foot fungus, jungle rot and almost every other bad bug or spore that'll getcha.
Also, if you have to eat something nasty, it'll help kill the taste (by replacing it with a nastier taste, but it leaves your breath more tolerable than dead rotting skunk).

1/4 " hardware cloth or even chicken wire makes a good adaptable splint. Just fold it to a few layers, apply it to the break, and as you form it to the curve of the limb, it stiffens (think a half tube).
If possible, put layers of gauze down first to cushion.

Aluminum foil is also excellent; it is an air exclusive, form-fitting dressing. For burns, it also permits the addition of cooling to the site. Properly taped, it is waterproof and flexible (to a point). If dressings/coverings are in short supply, it can be rinsed (with Listerine, for example) and reused.

It also makes a good eye cover for eye injuries because it's easy to adapt to the facial topology.
You can probably get a clinic or hospital to wrap and autoclave the foil to make it sterile, but in a field environment, sterile is usually not available, and rapidly becomes un-sterile. Sanitary (clean) is usually good enough to get to good medical care, even if it's a couple days away.

For at least part of the kit, plan to include something like an 8x8" cake pan or two. They act as shells for the kit to protect it, and come in handy as clean surfaces for dressings and instruments when doing some work.

(Edited to remove the typos introduced by the *%$#$^ spell checker on my iPhone.

Last edited by scottmac; 07-18-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #23
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum

Good idea. I have them in my general first aid kit, but it would be easy to add an alcohol swab packet to the bag.
I have a ton of them because of durable med. supplies I get...prob. have a few thousand on hand because i use them as much as 3x a day....

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #24

Liked 186 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpawgunner View Post
Thanks for the input! What's the shine for other than drinking purposes if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing used to clean wounds if need be? I may be totally off..

Matches in a waterproof case or a flint rock and striker is an item I would most definitely make sure I have. Along with a compass.

And I will add a first aid kit to my car, but Im also looking for a survival kit to put together for my car as well as at my house, which of course, would consist of more items.

Sorry I've been campin, the shine has multiple uses it can be used to disinfectant and also be used as a general anesthetic. My arm got dislocated once after I had a serious fall from a tree stand my cousin was in town he's an ex navy medic, I drank enough shine to where I couldn't feel much he popped in back into place I still felt it but I didn't care as much as I would have without the shine.

But Yes the shine does have multiple uses as well as the fishing line it's good for fishing, sowing cloths or wounds and also works for trip wires if needed.

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As far as an individual first aid kit, I keep mine as basic and light as possible. Two tourniquets, a pressure dressing, two chest seals, some quick clot gauze, gloves, a couple of decompression needles, band aids, and anti-biotic ointment.

Anything else would be part of a survival kit, IMO. Magnesium and flint, fishing stuff, a book on edible local flora, a collapsible .22, warm clothes, soap. You can get pretty expansive with survival stuff. IMO, the best thing to do is plan an extended trip in the backcountry. Ten days or so. Limit yourself to 40 pounds of gear. Take what you think you need. When the trip is over, you'll know exactly what you as an individual would need to survive a long term or short term disaster.

Lots of good ideas in this thread!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #26

Liked 843 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Default Forgot something ELSE... I must be gettin' old!!

Two more things... 1) a small sewing kit ..you can pick one up for about $3 at almost any store.. I augment mine with a hank of atrifical sinew, waxed linen cord and a large needle (canvas repair or God forbid, sutures in a pinch) and a good pair of work gloves... either deerskin, canvas or cotton w/ rubber palms.. even mechanic's gloves can work. Along with a good proper footware and a decent headcover... your hands need to be protected.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #27

Liked 2414 Times on 1504 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760
Two more things... 1) a small sewing kit ..you can pick one up for about $3 at almost any store.. I augment mine with a hank of atrifical sinew, waxed linen cord and a large needle (canvas repair or God forbid, sutures in a pinch) and a good pair of work gloves... either deerskin, canvas or cotton w/ rubber palms.. even mechanic's gloves can work. Along with a good proper footware and a decent headcover... your hands need to be protected.
I've been stitched with normal needle and thread. The sew your clothes together kind of thread. Ya. NOT ideal. Lol hurt like hell

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #28
Lifetime Supporting Member

Liked 1505 Times on 755 Posts
Likes Given: 1134

I started with a medic bag I bought then added to it

Creating your own first aid/survival kit - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum

I recommend CPR/AED certification and even an EMT/B course if you really want to be prepared for SHTF. Because even if SHTF never happens you could end up saving somebody's life.
People Like This 
Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #29
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62
I started with a medic bag I bought then added to it

I recommend CPR/AED certification and even an EMT/B course if you really want to be prepared for SHTF. Because even if SHTF never happens you could end up saving somebody's life.
Correct 7 Pt.! At least the basic first aid & CPR/AED! I did the AFA(adv. first aid) & EMT Red Cross courses long ago and have gone for updates every 2-3 yrs. since(required to be a HS or college athletics coach). last refresher class was mid-late 2011 so i'm due next year...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #30

Liked 843 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater View Post
I've been stitched with normal needle and thread. The sew your clothes together kind of thread. Ya. NOT ideal. Lol hurt like hell
Yeah.. I'm sure it did (lol right back at you). I never said it was ideal... But if your choice is that or bleeding out... You gotta do what you gotta do!! You can always find a suture kit if you look around.... like;
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=suture%20kit&sprefix=suture%2Caps%2C236&r h=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asuture%20kit
...Better safe than sorry.