Creating your own first aid/survival kit - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Creating your own first aid/survival kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 01:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1148 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

In addition to the usual first aid supplies, I also carry a couple of my home-made emergency dressing pack: A sanitary napkin, a length of duct tape, a razor blade, and a small pack of clotting agent. I put all four of these items in a zip lock baggie, and distribute a couple around my pack and/or bob where I can grab them quickly. The zip lock bag has the secondary use of covering a sucking chest wound.
People Like This 
Old 07-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks everyone for their input! I'm definitely going to grab a few items/ideas from each of the replies Given.

Would you guys recommend adding any canned foods in a kit or is that unnecessary? Because when done, the can can (no pun intended) be used as well.

I'm assuming high calorie bars are most suitable...

Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 AM   #13
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3387 Times on 2291 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Add to the Medical Kit: today in Wally World I found a "First Aid Instruments" Kit & Bought 3!!($2.99 Ea.) 2 pr. of surgical gloves, 2 wood depressors, one tweezers, one forceps, one splinter remover, one surgical shears, storage case(waterproof)!!

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #14

Liked 843 Times on 466 Posts
Likes Given: 1744

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpawgunner View Post
Would you guys recommend adding any canned foods in a kit or is that unnecessary? Because when done, the can can (no pun intended) be used as well.
I'm assuming high calorie bars are most suitable...
IMHO canned goods add too much weight, but if you're talking about a can of tuna or sardines that you just can't be without.... and if you can find high calorie bars without paying too much... sure, why not. After all, it's your kit.
I find the canteen cups (and I have two military style plastic canteens w/ covers & cups MOLLE'd to my pack) are about all I need when on the trail and camping... One for food, one for beverage.
BTW... just a thought here... I recommend you get a medium sized pack that is hydration compatible for a water bladder. It's nice to have that convenience when hiking/stalking. I also forgot to add my recommendations of a whistle, emergency reflective blanket (or 2 or 3... they don't take up much space) and small mirror...
Oh and good call on the maxi-pads TXPossum.... Other than the obvious reason, they make good compression bandages for the first aid kit.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
In addition to the usual first aid supplies, I also carry a couple of my home-made emergency dressing pack: A sanitary napkin, a length of duct tape, a razor blade, and a small pack of clotting agent. I put all four of these items in a zip lock baggie, and distribute a couple around my pack and/or bob where I can grab them quickly. The zip lock bag has the secondary use of covering a sucking chest wound.
You might want to consider some alcohol swabs or something else that cleans well and dries fast. People in early shock sweat like there is no tomorrow. I have seen cases where even duct tape won't stick. A small bottle of tincture of benzoin is also helpful. Lightly paint the skin and let it dry where you need the tape to stick.

Yes, in a pinch you can wrap tape completely around the wounded area and stick it to itself, but this is not the best way to do things. At a minimum it could hinder venous return.
Mason609 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #16

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

I keep in mine a small bottle of 91% alcohol, small bottle of iodine , alcohol wipes , 5 feminine napkins , 5 Feminine plugs for puncture wounds , duct tape wrapped around a small wooden dowel , large rubber strapping , medical wrap , 3X3 gauze pads, typical bandaids in various sizes , bottle of super glue which works as well as sutures for small cuts , 4# test fishing line, dental floss and 2 small needle for larger sutures, 2 pks of clotting agent. I have these packed 2 to a vac pack Ibuprofen, Demerol, Flexeril , Aspirin, and anti diarrhea ., razor knife and forceps , couple pairs of latex gloves thats about it its all packed in a small medic pouch

Yes the super glue works , I did a damn good job of trying to cut off the end of my finger and put it back together and held it in place with super glue on the outside of the skin , no feeling in it but its still attached after 4 years

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 07-18-2013 at 11:03 AM.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #17

Liked 1148 Times on 594 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
You might want to consider some alcohol swabs or something else that cleans well and dries fast. People in early shock sweat like there is no tomorrow. I have seen cases where even duct tape won't stick. A small bottle of tincture of benzoin is also helpful. Lightly paint the skin and let it dry where you need the tape to stick.

Yes, in a pinch you can wrap tape completely around the wounded area and stick it to itself, but this is not the best way to do things. At a minimum it could hinder venous return.
Good idea. I have them in my general first aid kit, but it would be easy to add an alcohol swab packet to the bag.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #18

Default Forgot this item...

This is one of the most important things I have not only in my B.O.B. .... but also in my house and both vehicles... a headlamp !!!
I recommend the Princeston Tec brand... tough, small, made in the U.S., takes 3 AAA batteries (so carrying extras is no biggie) and bright as all getout!!
Change a tire in the dark once, set up camp after the sun has gone down or go night fishing and you'll never be without one ever!!
People Like This 
Old 07-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #19

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC1760 View Post
This is one of the most important things I have not only in my B.O.B. .... but also in my house and both vehicles... a headlamp !!!
I recommend the Princeston Tec brand... tough, small, made in the U.S., takes 3 AAA batteries (so carrying extras is no biggie) and bright as all getout!!
Change a tire in the dark once, set up camp after the sun has gone down or go night fishing and you'll never be without one ever!!
Yup beats the hell out of a hand held flashlight . I keep one in my truck and one in my kayak . Ever tried to paddle after dark with a flashlight in your hand , NOT FUN

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
NC1760 Likes This 
Old 07-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Yup beats the hell out of a hand held flashlight . I keep one in my truck and one in my kayak . Ever tried to paddle after dark with a flashlight in your hand , NOT FUN
Plus it's always pointed to where you're looking.... Oh and I never go hiking/camping without baby wipes or wetnaps handy either....
Headlamp or not, when nature calls in the middle of the woods, in the middle of the night, I don't like taking a chance on cleaning up with the wrong leaf (..know what I mean.. nudge nudge, wink wink.. say no more!!)...
mich1377usmc Likes This