Creating your own first aid/survival kit
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Creating your own first aid/survival kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Creating your own first aid/survival kit

I was just looking to create a first aid/survival kit. I believe it would be cheaper to create one rather than buying it. I could be wrong. If I make a kit or even just buy one, what are items that you would definitely make sure it includes?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2013, 03:33 AM   #2

Liked 184 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 185

my first aid kit that I carry while camping hunting or hiking, has only a few things.

Duck Tape
Cotton Balls
120 proof shine
Needle
Fishing line

I ain't jokin this is seriously what I take, you'll probably have a different kit, I think it is cheaper plus you don't have to buy all the extra stuff you really don't use.

There are tons of things that can go into a kit depending on where your going and what your doing. I could probably carrying more but this is just general stuff.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 07-16-2013, 03:50 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpawgunner View Post
I was just looking to create a first aid/survival kit. I believe it would be cheaper to create one rather than buying it. I could be wrong. If I make a kit or even just buy one, what are items that you would definitely make sure it includes?
really either way. i would do asearch of the survivalist websites for ideas. look at what's available to see if any meet your needs first, if not, decide what you feel is important.

my needs may be totally different than others. i do keep a small first aid kit in all my vehicles and a larger one at the house. granted i can't do open heart surgery with any of them, but i should be able to handle most smaller injuries.

actually some pretty good questions though and hopefully this will open up some discussion that will enlighten us all.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:34 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebear
my first aid kit that I carry while camping hunting or hiking, has only a few things.

Duck Tape
Cotton Balls
120 proof shine
Needle
Fishing line

I ain't jokin this is seriously what I take, you'll probably have a different kit, I think it is cheaper plus you don't have to buy all the extra stuff you really don't use.

There are tons of things that can go into a kit depending on where your going and what your doing. I could probably carrying more but this is just general stuff.
Thanks for the input! What's the shine for other than drinking purposes if you don't mind me asking? I'm guessing used to clean wounds if need be? I may be totally off..

Matches in a waterproof case or a flint rock and striker is an item I would most definitely make sure I have. Along with a compass.

And I will add a first aid kit to my car, but Im also looking for a survival kit to put together for my car as well as at my house, which of course, would consist of more items.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 AM   #5
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3267 Times on 2221 Posts
Likes Given: 699

In the Car(SUV) a Delux Kit, and several extras(like an emergency dental kit), In the house: an Emt kit that runs about $350...plus on the Bug/Bailout bag-2 IFAK's...Although i'm not a medical professional, I was a volunteer EMT many years ago,..and i once stayed in a Holiday Inn...;-)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #6
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3267 Times on 2221 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball
In the Car(SUV) a Delux Kit, and several extras(like an emergency dental kit), In the house: an Emt kit that runs about $350...plus on the Bug/Bailout bag-2 IFAK's...Although i'm not a medical professional, I was a volunteer EMT many years ago,..and i once stayed in a Holiday Inn...;-)
But seriously,...Everyone should also have a camp Saw or "D" Saw,. and Axe or hatchet, and an assortment of "edged" Blades for various purposes...
Our Ford Escape has a "Truck" bag with emergency response Gear, a well stocked medic's bag should include: many different sized bandages, Paper & Waterproof tape, Different sizes of Gauze pads, some sort of clotting agent bandage for serious bleeding, and some basic tools like forceps, tweezers and such...Please the Medical pros here fill out the list! I'm sure someone like SSGN_Doc will know a few things im missing at the moment..

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My first aid kit and survival kit are two seprait kits. I carry both on me, plus bigger kits in my car and house. I just have a modified store bought first aid kit with me, some pain pill, extra band-aids and stuff. My bigger kits cover a wider range of problems beside minor cut, scraps, like major bleeding, broken bones, shock, and CPR. My survival kit is all personal assembled. I dont get to the woods as much as I would like. So my kit reflects that. I've seen some good store bought kits that would make a good place to start with, if you wanted to go that way. I'm retooling my kits this week, so I dont have a list of my kits, but when I'm done I can give you what I have in mine.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For me i have a bit of a bigger subload butt pack i guess its called. But i have medical wise some peroxide, cotton swabs, cotton balls, matches, a multitool, salt/baking soda mix (for cleaning up and stopping blood) and some gun powder. Oh and some cotton cloth for bandages.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:05 AM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I have an entire field surgery kit.
Strapped to the bottom of on bob.

I don't need No stinking signature.

NC1760 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #10

Liked 753 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 1550

Default You need for your B.O.B.....

In addition to what I have seen listed here; a good medium to large multitool (Leathermen makes a great one..), a lighter or fire starter, 50 to 100 ft of 550 paracord (7 strand type), vasaline, hand santizer, bug bit stick, sunscreen, at least one compass and at least one canteen (with metal cup) or water carrier, a frontier water filter straw or other small system and a shemagh or other square (about 46 x 46 inches) of cotton cloth and a pair of sturdy sunglasses or googles... and if you need, backup perscription glasses or specialty meds....
For food I carry instant expresso, green tea, bullion cubes, raman noodles and two 2400 calorie ration bars. Here's a website that you might find helpful;
http://beprepared.com/?sc=GOOGLE&oc=GOOG069005&gclid=COGfsYOntbgCFYmi4Ao d-HMAcQ
Good luck and safe trails.