Could you make it? - Page 4

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Could you make it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

How much snow do you get in North Carolina???

I'm ok for 3 months out of the year, but I doubt that you will have enough. But it gets black very fast here so maybe not three months. But without cars and gasoline who knows?

Good luck
Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 11-19-2009 at 06:10 PM.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 PM   #32

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know everyone secretly fantasizes about heading to the woods slipping through enemy lines of Russian paratroopers and dodging irradiated zombies. Living off tree bark and drinking dew off the grass, but...

The only reason one would "bug out" is to get to a safe haven (relative, second residence, friends etc) that is out of harms (localized event, storm, outage of services) way. Need enough for 72 hours worth of "survival" for all involved.
If it comes to running amok doing your Night of the Comet/ Damnation Alley/ Red Dawn/ 28 weeks later routine, things will have collapsed everywhere. Rotsa ruck.

My brother in arms is right about the water. Ever gone without it? It SUCKS. And can be lethal (remember the old rule of "threes"?).

Original point about guys being outta shape is valid if you are partnered up with anyone. That whole weakest link thing again, no matter what the situation. Look at it this way, like the man said, "I dont have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you!"

Old 11-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
How much snow do you get in North Carolina???
IDK, it always seems like we never get any. But I know we do. Maybe 10 days every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly68 View Post
I know everyone secretly fantasizes about heading to the woods slipping through enemy lines of Russian paratroopers and dodging irradiated zombies. Living off tree bark and drinking dew off the grass, but...
Yeah man!

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of the people." -- V, V for Vendetta

Old 11-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #34

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default My input?

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

Hmm, I am reading a lot of the Posts and have to agree that it's OBVIOUS that many never have done it? I mean, an EDC is Noce, a BOB is vcool, but how many of ya have left the 4WD on the side of the road and did a test run, for more than a few miles? I have lived off my EDC and my BOB over a weekend and It is a very minimal list!

being POOR and in WV does have it's advantages? I do get to try out my Gear and my EDC and BOB are an ever evolving deal as i find holes in them and have to re-do them about weekely! I am going out this week and try and do some Bunny Tracking and see if I can find any Fox and Coyote Tracks, Know weho taught me to do all that? A Book? it took time and effort but One can learn a lot of ONE ACTUALLY DOES IT? I do the Start a fire deal monthly, I do the camp out over night and into the weekend deal a few times a year! All is part of my preps and also shows you how Unpratical BUG OUT IS?

The Goal shpould be to leavge where you are for a better place or stay the F--K SET? One that goes from bad to worse, loses? I have a Location about 1 tank of gas from here and i can stash the van and walk it in my foot and stash the heavy gear if I have to lose the Vehicle! These all are ways to win, as I HAVE TRIED THEM! All the Plans iin the word do not help, IF YOU DO NOT TRY or TEST THEM?

Just my .02 cents, but at 52, and slighly over weight, I can get to where I am safer if i have to, BUT ONLY IF I HAVE TO! I know what work and what don't as I HAVE DONE IT!

RON

Old 11-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #35
RED

Likes Given: 1

Default Jeez... Where to start?

Any plans to "bug out" are virtually all just wishful day dreams. It takes YEARS to get it right but all I can do is to tell you what I have done and then you compare that to what you have done or are doing and be your own judge.

I decided to get out of town in 1991 when the jerk from Hope won the presidential election. The first thing I did was start looking for a new job, one that would allow me to live in a rural setting and still earn a living. Good thing I did because a couple months later the Company that employed me for 17 years sold out and we lost our retirement in the Enron like deal. Anyway I got lucky and got a sales job so it didn't matter where I lived.

The next thing we did was to have an auction where we sold 95% of everything we had including our home, boat, 23 guns, all our furniture, appliances, almost everything. Then my wife quit her job and we moved to the center of the state, rented a furnished apartment, and started looking for our new home. Eight months later we found it... 60 acres of timber and brush located between a cattle operation and a row crop farm. It has a small spring fed creek and is located at the very end of a 3/4 mile dead end county road.

We built a 3 bedroom ranch house and a a 24'X36' shop building. We had a 400' deep well drilled. Incidently the well gets water that is from an aquifer that originates over 1,000 miles away and takes years to reach our well. It has been tested in is essentially pollution free. We installed an electric heat pump with an external wood fired furnace connected to the duct work. We also bought a 18KW propane fired generator with a dedicated 500 gallon propane tank hard wired into the system and is powerful enough to power the entire house including AC. As we were able get the funds, we added a 1/2 acre pond and stocked it with catfish, blue gill, and bass.

We keep a couple months food on hand plus we have deer, turkey, quail, fish, and 40+ fruit trees that are producing peaches, pears, apples, and plums. I have a 45 HP tractor and implements. We have an almost unlimited supply of firewood.

For you bug out guys, ask yourself when the collapse does come:

1) Will I be able to reach my destination?

2) What if somebody else has beaten you to there?

3) Will the "locals" tolerate your presence?

4) If the weather gets really nasty, what will I do?

5) If somebody else shows up do we help them or not?

It took me 15 years to get to my level of preparedness, perhaps others could do better, but I promise, you are not going to be able to get there overnight.

"A letter of reprimand is better than no mail at all."

Capt Joe Rowland USMC 1971.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:26 PM   #36

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Red, I commend and salute you sir, for your personal sacrifices of material possessions and the hardship you and your family endured, along with your dedicated goal to reach your desired level of security and comfort.

Now, you are not too far from me and one can never have too many scouted out SHTF survival AO's and safe camps. So if you wouldn't mind......could ya pm me those grid coordinates for backup.

It would be a short stay and I will gladly help ya out and earn my keep, in return for your hospitality, if I am ever in that AO or in migration and on the move for safe camps.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 11-30-2009, 08:30 PM   #37

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There is no question, "Will I make it?" I refuse to address that negative. I will do better than "make it", I will thrive. I will do whatever is needed, with whatever is at hand, to see the day through. Physical condition, guns and ammo, zombie's and werewolves, that stuff is just minor details. I'll help those that I can,,,,,,,,,, but I will see the day through with or without help.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #38

Running? Forget it. But I can walk miles. I'm carrying a few extra pounds and I'm not exactly in peak condition but I know my capabilities and limitations.

I'd certainly toughen up fast enough - I'm usually rather sore on the first camp of the summer, but I get over it soon enough.

Experienced camper - and I've spent years refining my kit so I carry the absolute minimum (lugging 80-litre packs got old really fast!)

Rainwater? I grew up on unfiltered rainwater off the roof - complete with bird and possum ****, wind-blown contaminants, bacteria, moss, the occasional grasshopper etc. Never had any problems ('cept getting about 50% of a grasshopper in my glass one day).

Bugging out would be my last resort in an emergency, but I'm confident I could do so on foot if need be.

My concern would be the toll it would have on my kids - that'll change as they get older, though.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 AM   #39

Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Red - that is the smartest thing I have ever heard, yes I'd say you are ready. Good work and congrats on an excelent plan.

Jim

Old 01-01-2010, 05:17 AM   #40

Now I am not the cut young man I once was, and I have packed on about fifteen pounds in the last two years since I retired. But fifteen pounds is nothing when you retired at about 270. Though now in my 40s I can still run a 300 PFT. Humping? Think of me as a big diesel truck. Yeah I can make it.

When the white man discovered this country Indians were running it. No taxes, no debt, women did all the work. White man thought he could improve on a system like this.