Could you make it? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Could you make it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 07:51 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

it doesnt take very long to get in half decent shape. the military turns coach huggers into fit folks in a few weeks.

im not worried about that as proper pacing and work ethic and the cahnge in physical fitness will come on its own.

recent studies of survival type situations show taht peple that are slightly overwieght will survive extreme conditions and deprivations longer than those in excellent shape. im not talking bed ridden 800lb obese, just those carrying an extra 30-50 pounds.

thats an aweful lot of energy to pack around that you can survive off of without having to eat.

when the human body goes into survival mode your system goes after fat reserves first then starts on muscle. what researchers have shown is that those that carry more fat than physically fit have less muscle loss during suvival situations.

whats most imporant is knowledge and proper mental attitude and outlook rather than being a marathon runner. anyway im not promoting unfit just giving a different VP on it. i dont think it is as bad as some of the health nuts claim it to be.

being prior military i used to be in really good shape i know what it takes to getg there and maintain it. its a lot more food and work that i dont care to invest in for something that will liekly not happen in my lifetime. i know i can get back to that point if i have to put effort into it, if there is a warning of a disaster you can bet im going to start working out a bit. but im not gonna trash my joints and bones for panic reasons and what ifs

Old 11-14-2009, 05:04 AM   #22

I would like to see those studies.

When you start to starve, your body goes catabolic. Meaning it stops burning fat and starts burning muscle. Muscle is easier for your body to metabolize when you are not taking in enough calories. This process generally starts to happen after about the first day without eating. This is why thoes crash diets that people were in love with in the 80s and 90s never worked.

Now, there are studies out there that have shown that if you are on either end of the spectrum, be it very fit, or very fat, that you do tend to survive better than the average Joes. But those were done in cold weather situations.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

There is one thing that will kill you fast, regardless of how fit your are, and that is dehydration.

If you don't have fluids with you, you can become useless within a matter of hours, and dead within a few days. You won't have a chance to starve to death.

If I only had room to either take water, or a little food, I would take the water. Food is easy to come by in the wilderness, sometimes water can be alot harder to find.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:33 PM   #24

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

With all due respect for my fellow forum members, after reading 90% of the postings if the SHTF, my feelings is that the Boy Scouts of America are better prepaired to suvive then we are!

Let's take just one subject, WATER, without electrical service no more running water. With the waste water system down, where do you think all that "SH__" is going to go? Into the streams and rivers?? Yep, how many of you have shovels on your lists?? Any filtering equipment will be overwhelmed in a very short time. Now where do you get clean drinking water?? Do you know how to filter waste water, what materials you will need? What type of yeast or bacteria is required to nuturalize human waste?

Store shelves are going to be empty, so don't bother looking for bottle water. How sick are you going to get drinking rain water, what bacteria is going to be in it, how do you remove them from the rain water?

What I am trying to say is that without the proper knowledge none of us are going to last more than a few weeks, if that long even.

Good luck
Jim

Old 11-14-2009, 11:40 PM   #25

I don't see how there could be any bacteria in rainwater. It's evaporated up into the sky, then condensed into raindrops heavy enough to fall. IMO, any bacteria would be introduced once it hits the ground (or container catching it).

But I might be missing something.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:59 AM   #26

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If you are trying to plan for a "get out of town" scenario, you need to ask yourself the following questions:

1. What is the terrain/envoirnment of the area you am going to? (MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION - TERRAIN DICTATES EVERYTHING)

2. What hydration resources do you have?

3. What purification assets do you have?

4. What first aid/medicinal assets (i.e. bandages, antibiotics, anti-nausea, etc...) do you have?

5. How educated are you in the aspects of the local envoirnment (i.e. which plants are poisonous, good water sources, what animals reside, common temperatures, etc...).

6. How much can you pack?

7. What foods can you pack that provide the most good calories, and last for a long time (like MREs, canned foods, etc...)?

8. What is your current level of fitness (expecially endurance/cardio)?

9. How many people in your party?

10. What hunting aids do you take (consider trapping materials - save ammo if possible and trap your food....it works)?

11. What literature do you need to study?

12. Which firearms are best for your envoirnment?

13. Which clothes are best for the envoirnment?

14. What are your contingency plans in case the main plan does not work?

15. What is the priority? A. take as much gear as possible or B. Go light in order to increase speed of movement.

16. Are you going to have to cross hostile areas to get to your preferred location?

17. Do you have the knowledge to effectively build multiple types of fires (i.e. trench fires, dakota fire holes, etc....)?

18. What can you take to maintain communication with the world (i.e. radio, walkie talkie, etc....)?

19. Once your initial supplies run dry, what is your plan?

20. Are you able to fish with limited fishing materials?

etc, etc, etc, etc.......

You can come up with more questions depending on where you live, but you need to be honest with yourself and really analyze what you are trying to do. Don't try to lie to yourself. Analyze the situation, find out the weaknesses in your plans, and try to address those weaknesses.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #27

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

James, a hundred years ago we would not be worried about rain water, but today, it will pickup anything that's in the air, dust, bacteria, acids, hydrocarbons, and all the other garbarge we put into our air. Car, truck, bus, jet fuel and manufacturing waste products, as such it is a great media for bacteria growth. While safer to drink than surface water which will be heavy in furterlizer (mostly animal waste products, run off from farming) it still needs to be treated if not just for the acid products in it (acid rain is not just a song tittle). While after a while we will become immune to any byproducts in the water (bacteria) the short term effects will give you diharea and cramps. Depending on your immune system it will have little effect or make you very sick, it just depends on where you live and what's around you and what you have been subjected too in the past.

Just remember that about 50% of the population of Europe and Asia died due to a little flea carried on the back of rats that infected people with the "Black Death" which we call the Bubonic Plague, that more soldiers were killed in WWI and WWII from disease than bullets. That the Astecs lost 80% of their population to small pox as well as the native Americans. While these were caused by viruses, the stronger your immune system is the better your chances of survival.

Pasturization is done today to remove bacteria in almost all dariy products. It is a simple process that raises the tempiture to 120 degrees for a short period of time to kill off any bacteria. I can say with confidence it is safer to drink beer than untreated water. Only problem is that beer will spoil within a couple of weeks if not refrigerated. If you have a still, you could make moon shine, that would be safe to drink until your liver and kidneys go south, but it could be used as an antisepict for cuts and wounds.

Filter and boil all water regardless of where it comes from.

Jim

Old 11-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #28

i will probably be investing in a cross-over type motorcycle that i could strap some saddle bags to.

on my lists of musts.

.22 rifle/revolver
gerber tool/hatchet
flint
space blanket
canteen w/ water purification tablets
flashlight

secondaries would be
food
tools
tent
radio

Old 11-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
James, a hundred years ago we would not be worried about rain water, but today, it will pickup anything that's in the air, dust, bacteria, acids, hydrocarbons, and all the other garbarge we put into our air. Car, truck, bus, jet fuel and manufacturing waste products, as such it is a great media for bacteria growth. While safer to drink than surface water which will be heavy in furterlizer (mostly animal waste products, run off from farming) it still needs to be treated if not just for the acid products in it (acid rain is not just a song tittle). While after a while we will become immune to any byproducts in the water (bacteria) the short term effects will give you diharea and cramps. Depending on your immune system it will have little effect or make you very sick, it just depends on where you live and what's around you and what you have been subjected too in the past.

Just remember that about 50% of the population of Europe and Asia died due to a little flea carried on the back of rats that infected people with the "Black Death" which we call the Bubonic Plague, that more soldiers were killed in WWI and WWII from disease than bullets. That the Astecs lost 80% of their population to small pox as well as the native Americans. While these were caused by viruses, the stronger your immune system is the better your chances of survival.

Pasturization is done today to remove bacteria in almost all dariy products. It is a simple process that raises the tempiture to 120 degrees for a short period of time to kill off any bacteria. I can say with confidence it is safer to drink beer than untreated water. Only problem is that beer will spoil within a couple of weeks if not refrigerated. If you have a still, you could make moon shine, that would be safe to drink until your liver and kidneys go south, but it could be used as an antisepict for cuts and wounds.

Filter and boil all water regardless of where it comes from.

Jim
How do so many people eat freshly fallen snow without getting sick?

Old 11-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
How do so many people eat freshly fallen snow without getting sick?
Are you eating several quarts a day, or maybe just a little bit here and there?

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."