Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Could you make it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 03:49 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

getting all the hyped gears does nothing in survival scenario if you're not fit enough.

survival situation require fitness and endurance, just staying awake ,watching potential dangers and hunting food mean you might have to stay awake for extended shift,specialy if you're the sole '' resource'' of security for your family.

you might have to fight using strategies and this both physicaly and mentaly.

it's one thing watching in binoculars and using your ''tool'' to keep zombies at bay, making the distance on the long runs is another, all the material required to face a major chaos may keep yourself busy with million things during the firsts steps .

finding your new ''quarters''' somewhere in the bush or mountain is the first part and it can be physicaly consuming, then you must keep your attention setting-up your stash and on self-defence against survivors who might want to remove you and your family from the stash you found.

fitness is the key for such situation as well as the equipment on hand.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:11 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm G2G physically, but without comm gear the best of plans and the most physically fit are going to burn up. Larry Flint has better odds of making it through a SHTF scenario than I do. Add to that taking family along and it becomes a matter of working smarter, not harder. Organization and maximization of available skills are going to save more lives than ground speed. Yes, I AM one of the old bastards that drives past military members jogging and wonders how their sweat is preparing their organization for war.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 10-27-2009, 03:40 PM   #13

I am not as fit as I could be SHOULD be. After watching the National Parks seires the other day I decided I want to go backpacking. So I am determined to loose weight this winter and be ready for some short trips by spring/summer. I live near Yosemite and Sierra national forests. To get back on subject though a couple posts here mention staying at home and not bugging out. This would depend on the situation though wouldn't it? I think I live in an area that could flood if the damn to the north breaks. And there are many other SHTF scenarios that would require a bug out. I am somewhat new to the Bug Out Bag as I don't have one yet but have been reading up on them and getting ready to assemble one. My first thoughts on it are that I have a lot of the items I would need it in already. The thing is they are strewen about the house and garage on shelves, in boxes or drawers in every part of the house. I think to myself why not gather them up and put them in a bag stupid! I'd be halfway there!

Old 10-27-2009, 04:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
I'll be your Huckleberry............

Trocar, you have brought up a very valid and important point. Being mentally and physically prepared is a defining and important, survival factor indeed.

I borrowed this, and it pretty well sums it up.
  1. A true survivalist never stops learning. He is always asking questions, always looking for another way to prepare, and is always ready at a moments notice. The minute you think you know everything is the moment that you have become a danger to yourself and a danger to everyone around you.
  2. Practice Makes Perfect – Survivalists are always prepared because they never stop testing themselves, they not only take the time to learn how to use their gear, but they also practice, practice and then practice some more.
  3. Healthy Mind – The survivalist loves life, he knows the importance of a positive frame of mind. During a survival situation, your will to survive is often what determines your final outcome. Those who really love life, are often the ones who will fight the hardest to survive.
  4. Healthy Body – Gear is great, but a healthy body is even better. I often hear survivalists talking about all the gear they have, but what good is that gear if your body can’t handle carrying it? To be a true survivalist, you have to take care of your body. Hike, run, lift weights, do whatever you can to stay physically fit. You are the best piece of gear you have, take care of your body!
Jack
Exactly my point. The ideal situation would allow me to stay at home and defend from there if necessary. What if a nuke was dropped, or some kind of horrible biochemical weapon? It's nice to think about holding down the fort, but one never knows what the gooberment is going to pull. At least having some type of bug out plan is a necessity IMO. I have a family as well as alot of others on here, but they just might have to bug out too.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

A person who is in "Olympic" shape but without appropriate equipment/supplies is not going to survive anywhere near as well as somoene in "Half" as good of shape but with proper equipment/supplies.

I think that a person of average fitness would do just fine in a survival situation given that they are uninjured and have the knowledge and equipment to survive.

Survival is about staying alive with the intent of not pusing the limits of your body, not the opposite. (Have more by doing less. Have more = live more)

Last edited by TelstaR; 10-27-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:37 PM   #16

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Hate to be the wet blanket (No I dont) but I will be laughing my you know what off, at all you trying to bug out at the same time. Should make for some good campfire stories after the inital rush.

You are leaving the most important peice of survival gear behind - your brain - Time for all of you to take the Air Force Survival Course. Guess what you get to take with?? NOTHING, they expect you to use your brain and whatever you can find.

Jim

Old 11-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Hate to be the wet blanket (No I dont) but I will be laughing my you know what off, at all you trying to bug out at the same time. Should make for some good campfire stories after the inital rush.

You are leaving the most important peice of survival gear behind - your brain - Time for all of you to take the Air Force Survival Course. Guess what you get to take with?? NOTHING, they expect you to use your brain and whatever you can find.

Jim
Why are we leaving our brains behind if we bug out. The whole idea of Bug out, isnt that you think that you should go or want to go. Its a situation where you must bug out because you can not stay where you are. Its not about choice, its about what you are going to have ready when it and if it happens.

USAF survival and evasion is not about making plans and preps to survive ahead of time. Its more about being lost, avoiding an enemy and how to survive with what is around you.

Last edited by TelstaR; 11-02-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #18

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post

Jim
Yeah, but in the Air Force Survival Course the hotels, rental cars, gourmet meals and tee-times are included with the per diem check!

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 11-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #19

Gear and fitness is all well and good. But unless you have the knowledge then it is all but worthless.

Eventually you will run out of ammo, eventually you will run out of matches, eventually you shelters will weather away.

It is all about a fine balance between the three. If you do not have that proper balance, then you are done. The differences are just how long till you are done.

"It is not the critic who counts, nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who knows great enthusiasm, great devotion, and the triumph of achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails at least fails whilst daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those odd and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who have had to fight for it life has truly a flavour the protected shall never know."

Old 11-12-2009, 11:47 PM   #20

Resourcefulness is the ruling principle that will determine who lives and who doesn't, who thrives and who doesn't, and who even lives in comfort and who doesn't--after a national or international disaster, or just in everyday life.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of the people." -- V, V for Vendetta