Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Could you make it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Could you make it?

Since i joined this forum about a month ago, i've read a lot of awesome posts, and learned a lot from the experience of other firearms enthusiasts. I especially enjoy reading the "bug out" threads, and seeing all the great ideas people have developed to survive a potential disaster. I live in Atlanta which is not the friendliest firearms city considering all the "super lefties" that live around me. I have branched out from the city, and met several other people who share my love for survival, firearms, and preparation. Most of them possess fantastic arsenals, and everything one could imagine to help them survive a devastating situation, along with alot of military knowledge. With all that said, one thing is lacking in almost all the people i encounter... They have absolutely no physical stamina. It has been a while since alot of them have done any physical activity (other than the usual yardwork), and i honestly don't believe they could keep up, let alone make it out of a hostile territory. I'm sure there are many members on this forum with past military experience, and have infinite knowledge to share on countless subjects. But what does all that matter if you can't hoof it 20 to 30 miles on foot with your precious "bug out" bag weighing you down? I'm not speaking for everyone, or about everyone, i'm just concerned that alot of money invested into an awesome evacuation plan may be in vain if you cannot muster up the physical energy to move at a decent pace, and keep it up. SUV's will run out of gas. Highways will be gridlocked. Normal means of travel may not be available, and foot/bicycle may be the only option. So i guess my question is this... How many of you think you are actually prepared in all areas, i.e. gear, mentally, and physically?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

I'll be your Huckleberry............

Trocar, you have brought up a very valid and important point. Being mentally and physically prepared is a defining and important, survival factor indeed.

I borrowed this, and it pretty well sums it up.

1. A true survivalist never stops learning. He is always asking questions, always looking for another way to prepare, and is always ready at a moments notice. The minute you think you know everything is the moment that you have become a danger to yourself and a danger to everyone around you.
  2. Practice Makes Perfect – Survivalists are always prepared because they never stop testing themselves, they not only take the time to learn how to use their gear, but they also practice, practice and then practice some more.
  3. Healthy Mind – The survivalist loves life, he knows the importance of a positive frame of mind. During a survival situation, your will to survive is often what determines your final outcome. Those who really love life, are often the ones who will fight the hardest to survive.
  4. Healthy Body – Gear is great, but a healthy body is even better. I often hear survivalists talking about all the gear they have, but what good is that gear if your body can’t handle carrying it? To be a true survivalist, you have to take care of your body. Hike, run, lift weights, do whatever you can to stay physically fit. You are the best piece of gear you have, take care of your body!
Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #3

I agree that staying fit is important however as a larger individual i also know that i may not move as fast as some but i can carry all my gear if need be and with that weight i can hike about 3 miles an hour in my local area. For the past four years i have been working as a backpack trip leader and i know that people often think it is much harder than it actually is, if you take your time and pace yourself you can move great distances with alot of weight.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:51 PM   #4

It isnt my plan to bug out. I have a family and animals to take care of. You cant "bug out" with that. What I am set up for in a SHTF situation is to hunker down and to defend my family, home, and community to the death. Most of my emergency plan involves a healthy and happy transition to mother earth. I KNOW I have the stamina for that as I work existing garden plots by hand and horse already anyway (I do have mechanized tools for working ground but I am not dependent on it). I am an experienced hunter and there is a LOT of game in this area.
If I bug out it will be on an IH that has been "A-Team'ed" up and would rival any light APC so I could move the family as safely as possible.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 10-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #5

I am not a fast runner because my knees and ankles are all messed up after receiving a volley of musket fire during the Civil War. I can pace myself and move efficiently with gear if I keep the right balance and posture. I plan to hide out on the 100-acre property about 100 miles from where I live. I am surrounded by good neighbors and relatives there, and have been building treehouses in hidden spots since I was a kid that now are unofficial sniper spots. There are trails that only me and my dad know about, and we can live off the land. I have no problem eating animals other that rabbits, deer, squirrel, fish. So if I can't find a deer, I will prepare a nice buzzard or raccoon feast. You do have a good point about stamina, but I am just not a good runner, I have to sneak.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:34 AM   #6

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I plan on moving all my stores to my bug out point prior to having to ...bug out! The only thing I'll have to carry will be a rifle, side arm, 100 rounds of ammo for each, 5 gallons of water and 5 gallons of gasoline.

Plan on getting something like this to bug out on!!

1111272535.jpg

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am not bugging out. You guys are all younger and more physicly fit than I am for sure.

I am too old and held together with titanium rods and screws. I couldn't even carry all my ammo never mind anything elce I have stockpiled. My place has been secured. I have both military survival training and actual experience. I also shoot weekly and am quite capable of defending myself.

If there is a meltdown, let "them" come for me. They have no idea what "they" are in for.

OC

"magbum"

Old 10-27-2009, 02:50 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 224 Times on 124 Posts
Likes Given: 439

this is a good topic, that alot of pepole dont think about, thanks for bringing it up! also remember to hydrate!

Last edited by colmustard; 10-27-2009 at 02:54 AM.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:08 AM   #9

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
this is a good topic, that alot of pepole dont think about, thanks for bringing it up! also remember to hydrate!
I'm usually dehydrated, especially after a night of heavy drinking!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:40 AM   #10

Hey Dunerunner

Your photo is Father jack from the Father Ted Series. Thats my favourite TV series. Are you from Irish background?