could you barter with copper? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > could you barter with copper?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Although the copper could come in handy for us Glock owners.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #12

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988
Although the copper could come in handy for us Glock owners.
Yeah, that's unfortunate. If S truly HTF, y'all GLOCKers would have to figure something out if it comes down to home made bullets. Although, I think a harder lead alloy would do just fine with plenty of cleaning.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:15 AM   #13
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Copper for barter? No. Gold and silver wouldn't be any good for barter, either. For barter, you probably want booze, tampons, condoms, diapers, medicines, ammo and cigarettes.

As a store of wealth? Well, maybe. Gold and silver are better. Actually, silver is more scarce than gold and used more in industry and that's where I'd put my money as a hedge against the dollar crapping out. I personally wouldn't consider buying copper except for maybe a few rolls of 20 or 30 one-ounce rounds. If you have a great line on bulk copper and can get a great deal on it, it might not be a bad thing to have a few pounds.

A store of metals or other raw materials is what you use to get back on your feet after a SHTF situation. It's not what you use during one, though.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:32 AM   #14

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Copper was very valuable to the Powhatten Indians, Virginia, 1607. It's lost a little since then...

Old 07-29-2012, 12:51 AM   #15

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Vin: We deal in lead friend

Old 07-29-2012, 01:46 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1223 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 2465

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
Copper for barter? No. Gold and silver wouldn't be any good for barter, either. For barter, you probably want booze, tampons, condoms, diapers, medicines, ammo and cigarettes.

I stand corrected. Copper will be very useful if the SHTF. It makes grate coils for a still, and that will then create something of value.

Me personally I'm not worried about items for barter. I'm focusing on items for production, and a working knowledge of those items. Having a few bottles of whiskey could be useful for trade, but having the ability to make whiskey would be priceless. Of course the value of those bottles of whiskey would go up exponentially after anyone tried my home brew.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21580 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I stand corrected. Copper will be very useful if the SHTF. It makes grate coils for a still, and that will then create something of value.

Me personally I'm not worried about items for barter. I'm focusing on items for production, and a working knowledge of those items. Having a few bottles of whiskey could be useful for trade, but having the ability to make whiskey would be priceless. Of course the value of those bottles of whiskey would go up exponentially after anyone tried my home brew.
only if it's copper tubing!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #18

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastguardgunnersmate View Post
could you barter with copper?
You can barter with anything. If you can find somebody that wants it.
As others have said, there's just a lot more items that may have 'buyers.'

Old 07-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #19
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1323 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 607

The value of money is only in people's perception o its value, e.g. If it will buy them what they need, it has value. In a short-term SHTF situation, like the movie "Trigger Effect," those that have stocked up on supplies could make a fortune collecting money for over-priced, badly needed items. When the crisis ended, they would be sitting pretty! But if we get to EOTWAWKI, money will be worthless and metals will only be worth what can be made from them. We will go back to a barter system with one person trading vegetables they grew to someone else for a quart of milk. At this point, copper tubing to turn corn into liquor (no matter how bad) will be worth 100x more than a copper bar!

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 07-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #20

Liked 983 Times on 649 Posts
Likes Given: 632

To OP: Uhhhh, "Kilo"? How much over spot is that per POUND? LOL

Axxe, I disagree. Is it possible that with SHTF, people might need to store or save their wealth, and not in some food/fuel/whiskey/ect. form? Also, if the price of silver & gold were to go WAY up, maybe copper could step in to act like a medium of exchange for small things, like buying bread.