Cooking in the woods/mountain
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Cooking in the woods/mountain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Cooking in the woods/mountain

Do any of you have a propane burner and propane on your survival list?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #2

Yep. It's the easiest way to cook if propane is available. I've had and used for years a simple 2 burner propane stve for years. In a pinch, just about any type of volitile fuel can be used to cook. A small piece of rag or paper towel placed in a small can which can be soaked with kerosene or rubbing alcohol or diesel makes a nifty little cooker. Of course, wood will work just fine when there's nothing else.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

You should try to have several options for cooking. First is what you normally use, gas or electric. Then you need to plan for if utilities are interrupted. I have a Coleman stove that will burn coleman fuel and propane with the adapter. I also have a Camp Chef two burner cooker that I can run from 20# bottles, I have two of those. Next is charcoal, I have 10 five gallon buckets stored with natural lump charcoal for emergency use. If it comes to it I can also burn wood in my smoker/grill.

I am planning on building an adobe outdoor oven this summer, I want to try it for baking breads, meals and pizza.

I try to pick up a two pack of 1# propane cylinders every month to store for an emergency. We were hit by an ice storm several years ago and I couldn't find the little bastiches anywhere, they were sold out as soon as they got to the stores. I only had a couple at the time and they ran out too fast.
I know this is not woods/mountain, but I'm going to stay home as long as I can.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizy View Post
Do any of you have a propane burner and propane on your survival list?[/SIZE]
It's not on my "survival list" as it is on my "cooking supply list". I use a propane burner ever couple days when I'm sitting outside. It's handy to make coffee, fry up a fish (so I don't have to run the fans in the house), and make my breakfast or dinner.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a two burner propane stove, the propane oven and stove top in my motorhome, two Camp Chef single burner butane stoves. I have saved two #10 cans (from canned peaches) to use as a hobo stove if necessary, two 20# bags of charcoal, just in case and a fire starting kit in case I run out of the 20 boxes of strike anywhere matches I have in a dry vacuum sealed container.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:51 PM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Coleman dual fuel stove. All season fuel is pretty cheap compared to similar sized propane bottles, and in a pinch you can use regular unleaded gasoline as a substitute. Very cool toy.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 04-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #7

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

This one runs off of coleman fuel, gasoline, and kerosene. Very cool...

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 04-21-2011, 06:00 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have a Coleman dual burner propane stove. I pick up propane on a regular basis and have a decent stockpile.

We've also got a Hibachi with some charcoal put back.

I also keep a bunch of Sterno around. I have been putting off buying Esbit Stoves, but I plan on getting them and fuel soon.

After we move, we'll also be buying a Barbecue or combination with a smoker. I think we'll stay with charcoal so we'll have more fuel options.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #9

Liked 327 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I use this for backpacking.

MSR DragonFly Backpacking Stove at REI.com

I sacraficed a little weight with this stove when considering the total back pack weight but I like the white gas for cooking at higher altitudes. The feature I like the best about this stove is that you have good heat control compaired to other compressed gas stoves of this size. It's also a multi fuel stove.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just have a single unit stove I can hook it up to either a small tank or one of the bigger ones. It kind of sucks but it's cooks ok enough.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."