Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > cooking on an engine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default cooking on an engine?

I was thinkibg how convenient it would be if i could use my engine to cook myself a hot lunch for when im hunting and i was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2012, 05:08 AM   #2

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

The biggest trick is finding a nice flat surface.

You likely aren't going to be frying bacon and eggs, but you can heat some leftovers to a palatable temperature in the engine compartment.

Oh, beware the possible hazards of exhausts and... Just weird stuff getting into your food. I would recommend a microwave safe closed container.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #3

Liked 72 Times on 42 Posts

When I was in the Air Force we had what they called armored personal carriers (peace keepers) the story on those are for another thread, any ways, we would get foil packs, basically tv dinners, we would put them on the engine and heat them up, they would get nice and hot.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #4
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1044 Times on 673 Posts
Likes Given: 5366

Several years ago I was on a cross country trip with a highschool friend. We stopped by a creek in Idaho, and dropped a line in. She wound up catching a good sized rainbow trout, and she was trying to figure out how we were going to cook it while we were on the road. After cleaning it, I pulled out some aluminum foil, some lemon pepper, and some garlic salt. I seasoned it, wrapped it in foil, and layed it on the intake manifold of my truck. We drove three hours to our planned stop for the night, and I pulled the fish out of the engine bay. 3 hours at 190 degrees = One of the best maels I have ever had on the road! I did a venison roast this way once. I made the mistake of telling the others how it was cooked, (4 hour drive from western NY to Pittsburg) and no one in my wife's family would touch it. Worked out great for the wife, her daughter, and myself, because not only was it to die for, it was ALL ours.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Last edited by kfox75; 11-24-2012 at 05:47 AM.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7615 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1130

Yep- have done that. Double wrapped in foil, on the flat of the exhaust manifold. Slow cooked for about 3 hrs. Hobo dinner- pork chop, potato slices, onion, salt & pepper

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 11-23-2012 at 01:43 AM.
KG7IL Likes This 
Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #6

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have put canned good on the engine before I went into to the woods. They weren't hot when I came back but they were warm and a lot better than just laying on the seat.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-23-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2239 Times on 1452 Posts

There is an entire cookbook about engine cooking, its called "manifold destiny"

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 11-23-2012, 04:11 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2327 Times on 1453 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Yep. Make sure to double wrap the foil.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:46 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7396 Times on 4275 Posts
Likes Given: 9511

You can get extra heavy aluminum foil for engine bay cooking, I used to do it all the time. The simplest way to do it is get a frozen burrito and wrap it in foil, place on the intake for about 30 minutes or so and check it. You can get the cookbook too. I just saw a Mythbusters yesterday where Adam and Jamie with the help of Alton Brown cooked an entire Thanksgiving meal in the engine bay of a car. Everything turned out except the gravy, but they called that soup and it still made the meal just under a different name.

Old 11-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 768 Times on 529 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

Heavy duty Aluminum foil is your friend.

Become steel or get cut.