Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Contacts and Pepperspray

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Contacts and Pepperspray

How does wearing contacts affect pepperspray effectiveness? Does it make it worse or not as bad as a rule?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

catattack,
I wear contacts and before retirement from the PD, I was exposed to pepper spray on several occasions. Pepper spray primarily attacks the mucus membranes, and although it also irritates the eyes, wearing contacts has no effect on it. I would suggest a thorough cleaning of the lenses following exposure.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:51 AM   #3

Great information.Based on my knowledge of physics I would assume that the taser would also shock your dog if you shocked the attacking dig with it while it was in contact with your dog, but I've never used a taser and I don't know exactly how they work. Even if this was the case though, getting a mild electrical shock is not as bad as getting bitten.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:50 PM   #4

Tasers pass current from electrode to electrode which would be embedded in the skin, or touching it directly as in a contact shock. You can hold onto someone being tased all day long and not be subject to shock.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 12-02-2008 at 03:45 AM.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:43 AM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The danger of chemical exposure while wearing contacts is that they can (conceivably) hold the chemical against the surface of your eyeball and prevent tears or water from flushing it out, worsening the damage. On the other hand, they could (Also conceivably) prevent the chemical from directly impacting your cornea.
There have been military prohibitions based on the first school of thought, so I guess someone tested the theory.

Newest Threads