Conibear traps - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Conibear traps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2113 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
110's work great for squirrels too.
Yep. I made a little box trap that I put some peanuts in, and caught squirrels with it pretty regularly. Cut down on the poulation that kept raiding my bird feeder.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Well, it looks like I'll be taking up trapping this year for the first time. Hogs, tree rats, possums and coons. They aren't leaving enough corn under our feeders for the deer!

Any advice or suggestions?

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 12-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
You can carry a whole lot of snares in the weight and size of traditional traps.
True, but I've definitely had better catch rates with the Conibears to justify a bit of extra weight. But I'd deifinitely supliment with snares. The 110's are a good size for squirrel and rabbits, but I'd prefer a slightly larger one for rabbits. Used the 330 (10x10s) for beaver, otter, and raccoons, those were heavy,and large and I prefered to have the actual setting tool for those, because they could break a finger.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Well, it looks like I'll be taking up trapping this year for the first time. Hogs, tree rats, possums and coons. They aren't leaving enough corn under our feeders for the deer!

I did box traps with a 220 Coniber trap inside and some beaver meat that ended up catching opssums pretty well. Was trying to see if I could aget a coyote or a bobcat to stick it's head in there.

I haven't trapped hogs, but a 3-4" PVC tube with holes drilled in it and caps on both ends filled with beer soaked corn and with a cable anchor will usually keep hogs occupied for a bit rooting the tube around. Then you can shoot them if baiting and hog hunting is allowed at the same time of year you have your feeders up for deer. if you don't get venison, you should be able to load a freezer with pork.

Racoons I use the cheapest cat food I can find and put some on the ground at the base of a tree if there is a hollowed out area. I use sticks in the ground to make an kind of funnel toward the hole in the base of hte tree that the racoon has to reach throughto get at the tuna. For extra eye apeal I have alo use jumbo marshmallows, because they kind of look like eggs. I'll set them in there for the 'coons to go after. My daughter told me to try putting the lid off the cat food can above the hole to try to catch the racoon's eye a bit too. I don't know if that was what did it, but the day after putting the can lid up I had a big old 24 lb racoon in the trap on the last set I placed that trapping season. (My daughter was 8 at the time she made the suggestion.)
Old 12-04-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5956 Times on 2946 Posts
Likes Given: 6324

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

Hogs get you meat so do Tree Rats, Coons are worth about 12 bucks a hide and possums are absolutely worthless! You picked 4 vermin that actually have no equipment or method similarities trapping, lucky you! Your gonna need a shopping cart full of steel and stink, good luck!

Old 12-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38
Hogs get you meat so do Tree Rats, Coons are worth about 12 bucks a hide and possums are absolutely worthless! You picked 4 vermin that actually have no equipment or method similarities trapping, lucky you! Your gonna need a shopping cart full of steel and stink, good luck!
I've actually eaten all 4. I didn't really pick them. They picked our feeders. Possum isn't bad fried but not exactly a regular dish either. Coon in a sauce piquant is delicious and I'd stack it up against just about anything wild or domestic. Smaller hogs and bigger tree rats have their own placesin the meat freezer. Just looking for less loud yet still effective ways of knocking back the population so the deer will have feed left.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 12-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #17

Also the guys over here are pretty helpful, and there is a good section on some basic sets for different species.

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/1

And the folks a Georgia Outdoor News forum have a pretty good section on trapping and varmint hunting
http://forum.gon.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109

Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #18

Liked 67 Times on 37 Posts

Default conibears?

Speaking from the vantage point of a lifelong trapper...
if you have experience using conibears, then yes, include it in your survival kit.
Otherwise opt for rabbit snare wire. Whereas a trap gives you one chance at food, a roll of wire can cover twenty trails.
And you can't make a splint wrap with a conibear!

Wanna hear the best survival setup (especially in lean winter times)?

Couple hundred foot twine as a trip rope to a hand full of grain, covered by a propped up screen door.
My FIL made it through the "dirty thirties" without a firearm, dining on sharptails and rabbits.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 193 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 104

When I was young my dad took me on his trapping routes with him, that's where I shot my first handgun, a .22 Ruger Mark I. We trapped rats, coon, fox, and would spend most of the morning running lines. When I got older, I trapped coons when you could get good money for the hides $45 for high end. Stopped trapping when prices went down to nothing. I had lots of great memories from trapping and my dad still have 50 plus connibears in his attic.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #20
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

For coon I use a dpt called a ztrap it has a push pull trigger very good success rate. Back on the conibear if you don't know what you are doing you can hurt or even kill yourself. Also in a lot of states they cannot be out of water. Fur prices are suppose to be up this year.