Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Concealment (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/concealment-47772/)

Ploofy 09-04-2011 06:15 PM

Concealment

How many of you own a set of Acupat, Marpat, or Cadpat?

Whats the best camo for most North American deciduous terrain? Desert? Urban? If you don't have anything official, how are you going to conceal yourself or your shelter if you bugout? How important is it?

canebrake 09-04-2011 06:18 PM

None but..................I do know the difference between concealment and cover! :cool:

My daughter does have a hoodie.

Ploofy 09-04-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 574611)
None but..................I do know the difference between concealment and cover! :cool:

My daughter does have a hoodie.

I'd much rather not need cover at all than risk the possibility of becoming soft cover.

c3shooter 09-04-2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

how are you going to conceal yourself or your shelter
Well, I rely on 8 ft of soil, with plants growing on it. And a ghillie suit if I really need it.

What is it that you plan on looking LIKE?

Ploofy 09-04-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 574701)
Well, I rely on 8 ft of soil, with plants growing on it. And a ghillie suit if I really need it.

What is it that you plan on looking LIKE?

I'll find out when I get there. Till then, knowing everything on the subject would be nice.

CA357 09-05-2011 12:33 AM

I have woodland and three color desert. Just one set of each and it's more for general principle than anything else. However, I do have a fair amount of muted colors and earth tone clothing.

I'm too old to be all cammied out. If SHTF, I shoot just fine in old blue jeans and flannel.

Lindenwood 09-05-2011 01:52 AM

Don't count on being able to ghost your way around.

It would be MUCH better to be as normal-looking as possible. Now, I'm not saying to put on some sandals and a Hawaiin shirt; just wear something you could wear to walmart without standing out. Maybe some cargo-pants and an appropriate shirt / jacket, in some casual tones. Trying to sneak around in camo is a great way to get shot or arrested, when someone thinks you are up to no good, or you surprise the hell out of someone :P .

CA357 09-05-2011 02:17 AM

Oh yeah, I've got an old field jacket and liner. ;)

Now I may be wrong and it won't be the first or last time, but I think "blending in" is the best camouflage.

If you're in a business district and the normal attire is a suit and tie, take a guess what I'll be wearing. I want to be eminently forgettable and inconspicuous, just another suit.

If it's a small town, jeans, boots and flannel will do and they better not be shiny new boots or designer jeans.

In the mountains, I want to look like a local, not a weekender up to ski the powder.

Anyway, you get the idea.

Ploofy 09-05-2011 02:11 PM

Oh, this is for purely after SHTF, the only time I put on my (BD/AC)U's is when I'm going paintballing or it's the uniform of the day. Would it be truly possible to "blend in" in such an occasion, when theres a possibility that most people will be considered prey by the people you're trying to conceal yourself from? And ghosting isn't as hard as it seems if you can keep out of the line of sight or at least hold still when you're in it.

unclebear 09-05-2011 02:36 PM

As far as stealthy ninja that aint happen at least for me, the best shelter I can muster in the back woods is still pretty hard to see when your walking around. Most of my cloths are light tan or OD green, and my hunting cloths are the older style army BDU's with Cargo netting, I also have some mossy oak camo for fall hunting.