Common Sense Prepping
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Common Sense Prepping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1232 Times on 794 Posts
Likes Given: 2493

Default Common Sense Prepping

It's interesting to see the amount of backlash right now against preppers but I guess that is to be expected with so many idiots on T.V. representing preppers. With that said I see nothing wrong with being somewhat prepaired for a lot of things including SHTF on an international scale. It's very unlikely but it's still possible. That doesn't mean I'm going to run out and stock pile a lot of stuff, but I will keep it in mind and be somewhat prepared for it. Notice I said "somewhat" prepared. I don't think anyone could ever be totally prepared for SHTF and because it is so unlikely I'm not going to build a replica of a medieval village just in case. Still there are small simple things I can do to be better prepared for anything, and most of those things will help me right now.

#1 on my list at the moment is to try and provide as much of my own food as possible by gardening, hunting, and fishing. I'm eating healthier better tasting food and really cutting down on the grocery bill. That's a win win.

#2 on my list is to slowly acquire quality material items that will last. I started reloading 2 years ago just so I would be better prepared, be able to get the best accuracy out of my rifles, and not have to keep buying bullets. I stocked up on items like brass and bullets then. I keep hearing about the ammo shortage and crazy prices but I haven't noticed because I was prepared for it! I need to keep thinking like that and going in that direction. This isn't just about bullets though. Inflation is kicking in and it's getting tough to get durable quality items and the prices are crazy if you can even find a quality item. Part of it is because of inflation, part of it's technology, and part of it is we want cheap stuff and so cheap stuff is taking over. A cheap rifle with a flimsy plastic stock is just that, a cheap rifle. If that is what you want or all you need then fine but keep in mind that quality rifles are not getting cheaper and their prices are just going to get higher and higher until all you will find are cheap rifles. This is the time to get a quality rifle if you want one because you might not be able to afford one in the near future. This is the time to get a quality anything if you want it.

#3 Get away from disposable items, and this goes along with #2. I've thought before about disposable items but it really hit home on my last trip to the grocery store. I bought 14 simple items and my bill was $75.00, and I didn't buy any meats! The item that stood out the most was a pack of 5 mach 3 replacement blades and they were $16. I just had read a thread in the club house on razors and the old type with the double blades. I happened to notice a pack of double blades right beside the Mach 3 blades and they were $1.80 cents for I forget how many. They are still disposable but just the blade and the price reflects that. I will try them next month. If I don't like the shave then I'll stay with the Mach 3 but it's worth a try (I'm not ready for a straight razor yet). This isn't just about razors though. Plastic wrap, aluminum foil, and paper towels can all easily be replaced with plastic containers and real wash cloths which only have to be washed after use and all last a long time. I will never give up on toilet paper but I can stock up on it while it's on sale for SHTF or just to keep form having to constantly buy it. And all this ties back into #2 because quality items last a really long time and rarely have to be replaced. You can think of this as just being cheap, as prepping, or anything else you want but I figure it's time to make some changes when a trip to the grocery store costs $75.00 for 14 items and I didn't buy a single piece of meat.

#4. I want to learn and try more of the old ways for doing things like canning stuff from the garden and having a simple root cellar. The old ways weren't always the best and I'm darn glad I don't have to go hitch up the mules to a plow, but a lot of the old ways worked and worked for hundreds of years. It's time to relearn some of those things.

I hate the term "prepper" but I haven't heard of an adequately descriptive term to describe what I am doing so I guess I will call it common sense prepping. Years ago I think they just called it common sense? If you wanted fruit you planted some trees. If you wanted vegetables you planted a garden. And if you wanted meat you raised live stock and/or went hunting. The more of all that you did the less affected you were buy everything else that went on like an economic depression. I want to get back to that way of thinking and I believe it would benefit a lot of others if they did as well.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2014, 03:43 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5739 Times on 3248 Posts
Likes Given: 5169

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Years ago I think they just called it common sense? l.

BINGO! Common sense.

Winston Churchill
303tom Likes This 
Old 01-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2810 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 1637

Shhhh . . . you're going to give "preppers" a good name.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #4

Liked 718 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Naturally like everything on TV it is all hype. If they really went to many houses of real preppers and toured the place the viewers would see nothing out of the ordinary and that would not make a very good TV show.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8870 Times on 3842 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

Someone needs to define "Prepping". If I live in tornado alley, having a place to take shelter when cows start flying past the house makes good sense.

Myself, I tend to think in terms of loss of access to goods and services- and that can be measured in terms of days, weeks, or.... well, a LONG time. It can also be making provision for pulling thru a catastrophic event (see tornado above)

Now, WHAT event is where people begin looking at you funny, and edging away slowly. If the event is invasion by left handed, red-headed Martians, and you are stockpiling hair dye.....

However, we live in the country. We lose power. Ice storms in the winter, hurricanes in summer. If we make provision for heat, light, cooking and water during such an outage, makes a lot more sense.

Can we feed ourselves? Yes. Although there are things we would miss in the long term, and some things (salt) would be needed in the VERY long term. Do I have a garden because the Martians will be here next month? Nope. I enjoy it, I like the food, it does save money, and you get better quality food. You cannot BUY sweet corn in the store that tastes like mine that- 15 minutes ago- was on the cornstalk.

But if I can create a TV series that pokes fun at the wackos that are prepping for the Martians, I can do a great job of discouraging SELF RELIANCE. And that, along with common sense, is what this was once called.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #6

Liked 2851 Times on 1689 Posts
Likes Given: 1879

like many things.....the word "prepping" has been destroyed by......hmmm....an interesting group of people. maybe a new word is in order for what you are talking about. "common sense" seems to fit well.

i think rule #4 may be the one that saves anyone in extended dire situations. NOT stockpiling food/items, but the skills to acquire/grow/hunt/fish/store, etc for what you need.

the most DIRE need in any extreme situation will be WATER. any common sense short term survival scenario should start with access to your own source of clean water. this means personal well, rain collection, or system for water filtration. i hate to "rain" on some prepper's parades, but water will be FAR more important than bullets to your immediate survival.

if i added a #5 to your list it would be: LEARN TO LIVE A NEW LIFESTYLE. it just cracks me up a bit that some of the most "hard core" preppers think generators, computers, and tv's in their bunkers are going to be the way to go. electricity and other creature comforts will likely be a thing of the past, if even for a short period of time.

i've only known 1 family that got hurricane hit. they were out electricity and gas for 2 weeks. this is bare minimum anyone with a brain should be prepared for imo.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

most of the programs showcase the idiots and those who go to the extremes. i have watched some of those shows in the past and frankly, some of these people are simply not playing with a full deck to begin with.

i like others really hate the term "preppers" or "prepping" because of those shows that feature such idiots.

i like the term, prepared. like a Boy Scout. i actually like the term C3 used, Self Reliance.

Last edited by Axxe55; 01-18-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:45 PM   #8

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

My "common sense" comes pre-prepped daily.

What's the problem?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #9

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

My latest common sense prepping experience.....

I thought it would be a good idea to add a fire starting kit for emergency purposes.
It arrived today in the mail...
took it out of the package.....
attempted to strike the flint...
And the entire piece broke free from the magnesium bar on the first try.....haha
That's what you get with some cheap amazon crap
Fml...lol

Old 01-18-2014, 10:19 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
My latest common sense prepping experience.....

I thought it would be a good idea to add a fire starting kit for emergency purposes.
It arrived today in the mail...
took it out of the package.....
attempted to strike the flint...
And the entire piece broke free from the magnesium bar on the first try.....haha
That's what you get with some cheap amazon crap
Fml...lol
go to the Dollar Store and buy a package of those cheap disposable lighters. i doubt i could get a fire going with good fire starting kit!