Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 05:08 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNorth View Post
On the topic of lanterns.

Thoughts on oil/kerosene lanterns or lamps?

The trend these days is to whitegas or propane, which I have, but I was thinking of picking up some World Famous Kerosene lanterns from Canadian Tire for about 20 bucks each. Any experince on these, or similar lamps?

Oil lamps burn super bright, I'd say one is worth a dozen candles at least, odourless and near smokeless. Kerosene is a bit dirtier, but effective. I also hear that although smelly, kerosene/oil is safer than whitegas since WG can explode if dropped.

Kerosene/oil lamps that are made of metal are still used on private yachts, they work while moving and do not explode, but can be a fire hazard if dropped/spilled. Also mantle free!

I'm just debating which way to go. I like oil/kerosene, I figure the old technology existed because it worked, but I don't want to be closed minded to new things.
I bought one from Wally World for $6(American). Not to be used indoors as the fumes are plentiful. It even comes with a spare mantle in the reservoir.

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 03-13-2011, 02:42 PM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yes thse work as well

TrueNorth

RON L here

I have some of the Cheaper ones that Burn Lamp oil or Kero and yea, as long as you have Ventelation, I have used them when the power went out for hours! While they (Like Colemans are Fragine in the Glass Area, they do serve as a great secondary light source and I have them Placed in each room, so have them in case power goes out and I have to get the generator up! Good Point nd thanks for sharing with us!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:49 PM   #23

The dual fuel laterns are well worth the money. Plus how can you go camping without the fimiliar hissing from the coleman on the table while your playing cards at night. Brings back so many memories.