Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8726 Times on 3775 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Once the mantle has been burned, it is a very light ash. Carrying the lantern- usually does OK. Transporting on an ATV is another matter. Ref: carbide lights- yeah, pretty neat- but have you tried buying calcium carbide lately?

Price of mantles- about .50 to $1 each if you shop carefully. I added a twist type spark igniter to my camping lanterns so I do not need to poke around with the match. Have one propane, and one old style red gasoline lantern.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #12

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Once the mantle has been burned, it is a very light ash. Carrying the lantern- usually does OK. Transporting on an ATV is another matter. Ref: carbide lights- yeah, pretty neat- but have you tried buying calcium carbide lately?

Price of mantles- about .50 to $1 each if you shop carefully. I added a twist type spark igniter to my camping lanterns so I do not need to poke around with the match. Have one propane, and one old style red gasoline lantern.
How is gasoline brightness in comparison to propane?

Old 02-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8726 Times on 3775 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

Gas/ propane about equal. The actual light is from heating the mantle until it glows- white hot. What heats it is immaterial. Advantage propane- turn the valve, spark, whoof, let there be light. Gas- pump up pressure tank, turn starting lever, open valve, spark, whoof, big flame, as it steadies down move starting lever to run, adjust valve. Advantage- SHTF, I can find a burnable liquid easier than I can find bottles of propane.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-26-2011, 12:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Gas/ propane about equal. The actual light is from heating the mantle until it glows- white hot. What heats it is immaterial. Advantage propane- turn the valve, spark, whoof, let there be light. Gas- pump up pressure tank, turn starting lever, open valve, spark, whoof, big flame, as it steadies down move starting lever to run, adjust valve. Advantage- SHTF, I can find a burnable liquid easier than I can find bottles of propane.
Good info. I found a Dual Fuel for $35 at Wally World.

Old 02-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default More Information

Hello all, RON L here

As Far as these lanterns go, I don't see any Real Problem, Transporting the Lanten on an ATV, not using it while the $ wheeler is moving, but if in a case, should be able to Transport it to where you stop and use it, the mantles are Fragile once Burned and they might be damaged by bouncing around, but at least once ya replace the mantle with a new one, should be fine? I transported one ona Dirt Bike ina Case it made it fine! Dual Fuel does allow for use of BOTH white Gas and Unleaded fuel, it will not allow you to Burn Alchol or Kerosene or diesel, seen a lot of these Great Lanterns or Stoveds Scred up by Trying to use those fuels? I'd say buy a spare Generator ($like 12$), so if that Clogs up, you can remove and replace it with simple hand tools? These are Good solid Devices but the glass is easy to Brealk,they do generate a Good amount of heat, as well as light and should never be uned indoors without adequite ventelation, vever ina tent or near things that can melt or catch on fire! Simple precautions will make these a Great Lite Back up device, but they have thier limitaions and safty requirements!

Hope all that helps! If ya found a new onat Wally World for $35.00 that a Great $, far cheaper than I have seen here? I normally try and buy used as it saves ya toons of $, as well as I know how to service and repair them!

RON

Old 02-27-2011, 01:29 AM   #16

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Heven't used the lantern, but the dual fuel stove is awesome and something that doesn't leave my Jeep.

Greg

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget.”

"Never underestimate the predictability of stupid"

Old 02-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #17

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

PRO for propane - INDOOR use doesn't create a toxic atmosphere

CON for (gas, or other flammable hydrocarbon liquids) - INDOOR use CAN/DOES create toxic atmosphere

"some" flammables do not create toxic fumes, but most, if not all, of your hydrocarbon based fuels will.

A REAL PONDERANCE TO THINK ABOUT, ESPECIALLY IF YOU CAN'T LET IN FRESH AIR.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 02-27-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 AM   #18

Default Comment on dual fuel stove

At wally world you can get an adaptor to burn propane in a coleman stove using the one lb. bottles. You can also get an adaptor and a hose that will allow the stove to be connected to an 20 lb. tank giving you a lot of options. I used this set up on my last hunting trip and it worked really well.
The 1 lb. bottle cooked several meals and boiled water quickly at 9500 ft. in the rockies.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnscout View Post
At wally world you can get an adaptor to burn propane in a coleman stove using the one lb. bottles. You can also get an adaptor and a hose that will allow the stove to be connected to an 20 lb. tank giving you a lot of options. I used this set up on my last hunting trip and it worked really well.
The 1 lb. bottle cooked several meals and boiled water quickly at 9500 ft. in the rockies.
That's good to know

Old 03-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #20

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

On the topic of lanterns.

Thoughts on oil/kerosene lanterns or lamps?

The trend these days is to whitegas or propane, which I have, but I was thinking of picking up some World Famous Kerosene lanterns from Canadian Tire for about 20 bucks each. Any experince on these, or similar lamps?

Oil lamps burn super bright, I'd say one is worth a dozen candles at least, odourless and near smokeless. Kerosene is a bit dirtier, but effective. I also hear that although smelly, kerosene/oil is safer than whitegas since WG can explode if dropped.

Kerosene/oil lamps that are made of metal are still used on private yachts, they work while moving and do not explode, but can be a fire hazard if dropped/spilled. Also mantle free!

I'm just debating which way to go. I like oil/kerosene, I figure the old technology existed because it worked, but I don't want to be closed minded to new things.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association