Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 03:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Default Coleman Dual Fuel Lantern

Does anyone own one of these? How bright is gasoline? I'd like to get one for my 4 wheeler.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-25-2011, 03:59 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Don't have one of these

But I have had many others that perform flawlessly! But spare mantles!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:17 AM   #3

That's good to know.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8322 Times on 3598 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

A mantle type lantern puts out about the same light as a 200 watt lightbulb. It uses a cloth mantle that is burned to ash, and the ash, heated by the gasoline flame, becomes incandescent- it is white hot.

Two things- the mantles are very fragile- a touch or bump, they crumble to dust- which is why the note on spare mantles- and they won't work on a moving vehicle.

Second thing- they glow because the mantle is treated with a dissolved metal, deposited on the cloth. The metal is what glows. Metal is also why you should be very careful when cleaning dust from a shattered mantle, and do the first burn in the open air. It is Thorium. Mildly radioactive, it is an alpha emitter. While your skin will stop alphas, if you inhale them, they are directly in your lungs.

PS- part of my "What the hell happened to the lights?" gear are two Coleman table LAMPS. Made for indoor use, about 1910, twin mantles, nickel plated steel. Scored them both for under $5 at an auction. Lehman's non-electric still carries them- at $140 a pop!

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Coleman Lanterns

Hello all, RON L here - SERE SURPLUS

I have been running and using Coleman lanters for decades and yes they do work, are Pleanty bright and workable!That said, I wil repeat and agree with other Posters about the mantle being Fragine, 9So Bring Spares) as well as that the Older lanterns work Great and only real Difference with a Dual Fuel and a Regular White gas Lantern ior stove is the Generator part! I have compared them and the Generator oin the dual Fuel has larger Ports inthe filter in it and that allows it to burn Unleaded gas, where a White gas has a small screen Filter , if you swop out the generators or Clean your Whit gas Generator in a Pan of white gas everyone once ina while they ALL CAN RUN ON UNLEADED! White Gas, in my opinion burns Brighter and every once ina while I burn a tank of white gas in all my lantersna nd stoves and keeps them clean and working better! Another word on these, they get VERY HOT, don't allow to Fall, or Break the Glass or Burn folks as they can Melt Plactic and lead to really bad Burns? The Glass globe of one of these is like 8-10$ Replacment so Try not to Break it? I use a Plactic carry case and that seems to save the Glass Breaking a lot! hese Lanterns and stovs can be bought cheap eough if you shop used and garage sales new the Lanterns at wall mart Dual Fuel near $70.00 for a larger Dual Mantle unit! I'ce paid anything from 8-20$ on mine and have 2 Dual fuel lanters, as well as a Few Older Converted white gas ones many I piad like $5.00 each for! Well worth the back up light and Camping use , in my opinion!

RON

Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have both a duel fuel lantern and stove from Coleman. Both work flawlessly with gasoline (imho). I will echo 1. extra mantels are an absolute must, and 2. not for use on a moving vehicle.

If I remember correctly, burn time for the lantern on a full tank of fuel is 6-8 hours; depending on how bright you are burning it.

I'm also not sure if they still come with a reflector or if you have to buy them separately, but that is another must have item as well.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Good Points Troy

Good Points Troy,

Yes about 6-8 Hours seems about rghtk but not sat ands timed it to be honet! I don't have any Reflectors in mine, but Dad used to always add a sheet of aluminum Foil to act as a Reflector? I've used them with and without and to me, It wasn't a Big Improvement? we always Hung the lanterns on a Branch or Elevated so it shone down on the Site or what ever, I've seen folks use them in tents and thats a Bad Idea! I've always Liked the Have trhe Right outsuide the tent where ya coud Lite it and use as ya got out of tent? That was our way and worked for us? man, have you all Notied the Price Increase on these as well as Fuel and even the Stoves in Dual Fuel now are high $?

RON

Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #8

Thanks for all the info, y'all have been extremely helpful. So there's no possibility to transport it on trail with the same mantles?

Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If this is the same as the green Coleman lanterns that burn Coleman fuel or gas, the mantles are darn cheap. I've never lost a mantle to shock from carrying the lantern, but have effed up more than a couple with a long match and poor lighting technique.

Want something a lil weird, try to find a carbide head lamp, kinda spooky. I have seen an antique (reeeeally antique) car with cabide headlamps.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
If this is the same as the green Coleman lanterns that burn Coleman fuel or gas, the mantles are darn cheap. I've never lost a mantle to shock from carrying the lantern, but have effed up more than a couple with a long match and poor lighting technique.
Thanks for the info, I'll take it easy on the trails & stock up on mantles.