The Cobb Cooker - Review - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > The Cobb Cooker - Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 330 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbilly View Post
Here's my "Round 2" testing on some cornish hens :

So, my second outing with the Cobb Cooker resulted in another great experience. Below are the results on the cornish hens. These were cooked with 6 hardwood coals worth of "fuel" for the cooker.

I rubbed the birds with lemon juice, then butter, then coated with "Paul Prudhomme's Poultry Magic" seasoning. Then stuffed the birds with two good lemon wedges and a sprig of fresh basil. In the "moat" of the cooker, I added 1-1/2 cups of water with 1-tablespoon of chicken bulion dissolved in it and dropped two sprigs of fresh basil in that fluid.

I cooked the hens for the first 50 minutes with the foil open so the flavors and moisture from the moat could permeate the meat...then I closed up the foil pouches and cooked the hens for another 30 minutes to let them steam good. In the photo below I'm about to close up the foil :

Again, some fantastic gravy develops during the cooking process. I could grab the leg bone, twist it, and it pulled right out of the meat - perfect ! :

...and it was as good as it looks :

Regards,

Swampbilly
Looking good there. I do Game Hens on a fairly regular basis in my smoker and they are always great. You ever try "Beer Butt" chicken? Look it up and try it out. I think you'll enjoy. I think this method will fit in your cooker.

Last edited by mrm14; 02-21-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:11 AM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Looking good there. I do Game Hens on a fairly regular basis in my smoker and they are always great. You ever try "Beer Butt" chicken? Look it up and try it out. I think you'll enjoy. I think this method will fit in your cooker.
With the standard Cobb Cooker, the standup beer can chicken might be a stretch. But they do make an Extender ring to get additional height...then I could do it no problem. Until then it's "horizontal" chicken cooking .

I have done beer can chicken before...not with a beer can, but with a cooking fixture I bought years ago, and normally do it in my oven. What I like about the fixture I bought is it has the upright tube welded onto a tray that catches the juices.

Regards,

Swampbilly

Old 03-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #13

Likes Given: 2

Default Info

Thank you sir.

I have not seen anything like this before. I am very impressed by the small amount of fuel necessary to cook a meal.

This looks perfect for any number of things, especially short camping trips.

Again, thanks for the info!!