Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   closet style safes (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/closet-style-safes-72851/)

satajet 09-20-2012 03:32 PM

closet style safes

Im looking into installing or building a good reliable safe to store weapons/ammo and supplies for any unforseen event...any ideas ?

silverado113 09-20-2012 04:06 PM

When you say closet do you mean a safe that can fit into a closet or one that will be built into the wall of the closet?

satajet 09-20-2012 04:15 PM

I have a closet which i would like to turn into a safe...the whole closet into a safe.

dragunovsks 09-21-2012 04:17 PM

Why don't you just build a false wall in the back or side of the closet. That way nobody knows its there.

satajet 09-21-2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks
Why don't you just build a false wall in the back or side of the closet. That way nobody knows its there.

That is a great plan...in fact that IS the plan...i need info which provides an established materals list... Satajet.

dragunovsks 09-21-2012 08:38 PM

Um ok, u said safe, which implies a fortified or locked steel box.

satajet 09-21-2012 10:12 PM

Basicly you are correct but i want the best of both combined. Sorry i didnt make myself clearer. I want something hard to find and even harder to get at...

Chainfire 09-21-2012 10:35 PM

I bought a standard gun safe and fitted it tightly into a closet where the sides can't be attacked without tearing out walls and plywood. A built-in stealthy safe, will work fine, if you can figure out how to make doors that work for you, but don't give the "secret" storage away.

I will say this though, I was given a safe, of better quality than most gun safes, because the owners had lost the combination years ago. I opened it in a matter of minutes, and with very little trouble, with a Sawzall. The average gun safe will defeat the common crack-head looking for something to steal and pawn, but it won't defeat a serious thief.

Vikingdad 09-21-2012 10:54 PM

Disguising a safe or vault is a highly effective way of keeping your stuff away from bad guys. A buddy of mine has a safe in his shop that looks like a high voltage power supply, complete with warning stickers that say "HIGH VOLTAGE" and "600 VOLTS", the lock tumbler is inside a big knife-switch box with a padlock on it mounted to the door.

I want to build a walk-in vault someday that has a bookshelf or maybe a cabinet in front of it that you walk through to get inside. Ideally this would be built into the hillside or a basement wall so it is underground (I don't have a basement or a wall up against an embankment though, which makes my idea totally fantasy at this point in time). That would be totally cool!

Coyotenator 09-21-2012 11:18 PM

Anything that is as secure as a commercial safe would be very expensive to build.You would be better off buying a safe of a size that will fit, and then building that into the wall and hiding it.