You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Cheap electronic communication

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 575 Times on 397 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Default Cheap electronic communication

Ham radios. We have GMRS and FRS radios.
RS is close to worthless especially if there are trees buldings or hills in the way. GMRS despite range claims may reach a mile and ahlf in a handheld in a town like setting or woods.
There is 10meter radio, whic have CB radios in many of them. They can run some pretty high pwer but need licenses like GMRS.
Then there is Two meter, which reauires a license and handhelds limited to five watt output, but carries good way and there are repeaters that can allow us to communicate a long ways.
Where there is now Cell Service a two meter is a good choice, without repeaters for, being 25 miles away from home and a turned ankle.
Baase units more power and or big antennas can reach half a world away properly set up.
Then there is VFR, I think is the proper nom. It is supposedly reserved for marine use. In Canada, the loggers and everyone else uses it in the back country, legally. It will reach four or five times the distance of a CB or more and aircraft.
Then there are hand helds that have CB, GMRS and VFR, and two meter.
To tell the truth I'm confused over what is best or best combination and affordable. Te prices on handhelds can get very pricey.
I think maybe two meter radio or a couple of them and maybe antennas for the vehicles might be an idea and get away from the hundreds of dollars in cell chaarges each month.
There are some units caapable of linking to home phone to amke cals from there, or call a repeater and have a call made.
I'm not up on all this technology but there is something here we cana use and even get snnoops out of our business perhaps.
Anyoen understand better and have a good setup for close and loong range communications with wife or home aand wherever either of you may be.

Last edited by tinbucket; 03-23-2016 at 08:15 PM.
schnuffleupagus Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-09-2016, 02:34 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3597 Times on 1980 Posts
Likes Given: 1042

Are any radios hardened against an EMP?

Old 04-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2153 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 1423

With all the conspiracy attached to modern communications we should look outside the box. How about "Smoke Signals"? Have you considered "Carrier Pigeons"?
People Like This 
Old 04-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #4

Liked 308 Times on 159 Posts

There is 10meter radio, whic have CB radios in many of them. They can run some pretty high pwer but need licenses like GMRS.

CB radios require type certification. CB radios can only be CB radios. The FCC is entirely funded by fines. while they typically only fine importers and retailers of radios with 10 meter and CB capability, I don't intend to be the first buyer fined. Fines can be as high as $10,000

Then there is Two meter, which reauires a license and handhelds limited to five watt output, but carries good way and there are repeaters that can allow us to communicate a long ways.

The lowest level of ham license gets you 10 meter SSB ( voice ), 2 meter & 440 MHz band and many more. 35 questions. 7 year olds have passed. the handheld radios are not limited to 5 watts by law; the manufacturers see no market for more powerful radios. my car 2 meters are 25 watts & 100 watts.

Then there is VFR, I think is the proper nom. It is supposedly reserved for marine use.

VHF. 2 meters is VHF, 440 MHz is UHF. you are thinking of Marine band VHF, which is only for boating use in the USA

Then there are hand helds that have CB, GMRS and VFR, and two meter.

again, per the law, CB or ham, not both. very few CB & HF ( 10 meter and longer wavelengths. CB is 11 meters ) handhelds - it's a laws of physics thing. longer wavelength requires larger components. dual band 2 meter & 440 MHz HTs ( handheld transceivers ) are common

http://www.rigpix.com

APRS: low buck LoJack. get in for $220 http://www.byonics.com/mt-rtg

APRS in Albuquerque NM: http://aprs.fi/#!lat=35.08450&lng=-106.65110

Last edited by microadventure; 04-09-2016 at 01:46 PM.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:06 AM   #5

Liked 172 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 17

2 meter is probably the most economical choice for close range 50 miles and under. Repeaters can stretch that distance but if SHTF many of them will go down pretty quickly. That said there are easy ways to extend your 2 meter reach.

I do a lot of off-road camping where I set up a base camp and then go wheeling for the day. I stay in contact with my base camp with the use of 2 meter radios. A hand held at the base camp and my mobile rig in my Jeep. I built a portable base camp antenna that extends the range of the hand held and sets up easily. I used a couple of PVC fittings to make an antenna base and a apex thread adapter to be able to attach it to a 12' extendable paints pole. Couple of eye rings to hook guy wires to; few feet of coax and I have an antenna that that sets up in a minute or so; transports easily and does a good job of extending my hand helds range.

Here are some pictures to give you some ideas.

Antenna base built from PVC fittings

Cheap electronic communication - Survival & Sustenance Living Forum

Just some para-cord and S hooks used as guy wires

Antenna mounted on base

Coax adapter

Raised antenna

The whole setup broken down and stored for transport