Chainmail armor - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Chainmail armor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Well it started last year at the renaissance festival. I saw someone wearing chainmail armor and asked how much they paid. They said $200. I thought that was a bit ridiculous but kept thinking about it throughout the year.

This year I went with the intent on purchasing a set for $200. Idk why. Anyways, cheapest he had was $300 and that was for a short sleeved small shirt made out of aluminum. The full shirt or hauberk was $500 out of steel. I passed.

I couldn't understand why it was so much money until I started working on it myself. Not as tedious as some things but it is time consuming.

So I guess I really don't have a reason why I started or why I actually want a set. Just always been intrigued by the medieval ages I suppose.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:25 PM   #12

Liked 5009 Times on 2429 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

...chainmail?

Someone REALLY REALLY REALLY needs a girlfriend!

Tack

Old 10-14-2012, 05:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1
...chainmail?

Tack
She thinks I'm nuts too
Old 10-16-2012, 11:55 PM   #14
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
...chainmail?

Tack
Nah. You have to find the right woman.

Perspective: There are two large battle-ready swords on the walls in my bedroom, seven swords in my office, two in my wife's office, three in my living room, three in my dining room, and two in the spare room. We also have medieval spears, helms, armor and period pieces throughout the house. My wife did the decorating.

God, I love her.

(Oh, and my son has three blunt weapons (Bec de Corbin, mace, and war club), a Scottish claymore and a short sword littering his walls. All battle-ready.)

So what's a little chain mail?
Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #15

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56
Looked pretty easy to make. Kind of curious if anyone has had a chance to make any and if they have pointers. Here's what I've come up with so far. The rings are homemade.
Looks nice but "real" chain mail had the ends of each ring riveted together. Without that any stabbing weapon just pushes right through.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:08 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt
Nah. You have to find the right woman.

Perspective: There are two large battle-ready swords on the walls in my bedroom, seven swords in my office, two in my wife's office, three in my living room, three in my dining room, and two in the spare room. We also have medieval spears, helms, armor and period pieces throughout the house. My wife did the decorating.

God, I love her.

(Oh, and my son has three blunt weapons (Bec de Corbin, mace, and war club), a Scottish claymore and a short sword littering his walls. All battle-ready.)

So what's a little chain mail?
I'll have to tell my gf that that's what normal people do. I would like to convince her to let me get a couple swords. I'll start out small

Old 10-17-2012, 01:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben

Looks nice but "real" chain mail had the ends of each ring riveted together. Without that any stabbing weapon just pushes right through.
I don't know how people can make full suits the way I'm doin it let alone hammering and riveting each dam ring. I think I made my rings too small and it makes it a bit hard to work with. I'll post a pic in a bit. Working on it right now

Old 10-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #18

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You want to make the rings as small as you possibly can. Granted, the smaller they are the heavier it will be and the more time it will take to manufacture. But it all depends on what you intend to have it for. If its just blades, than ring mail would be sufficient. Don't forget that all of those armors were suplemented with leather and padding under them. But it looks good so far.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 10-18-2012, 02:00 AM   #19

image-3433253853.jpg

Here's an update. This is taking forever. I have a short attention span and very little free time lol.

image-3661995037.jpg

With my hand for reference. It makes it look a lot smaller...

Last edited by capto56; 10-18-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Old 10-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #20

Liked 9208 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Real chainmail? Y'all don't be so damn disparaging. Things throughout time have remained pretty much the same in terms of people working with what they have.

Today, and in the medieval times, chainmail was made with butted rings, riveted rings, brazed, and forge welded. It all depends on what you have to work with, how much time you want to spend on it, and how much money you want to make (if your making it for sale). Many people repaired their own chainmail with field expedient materials back in the day (as evidenced by dug up artifacts), such as leather thongs, broken pieces possibly from an enemies armor, and field made repair parts.

There is nothing not real about Capto's project here. And no, I don't claim to be an expert as some snobbish A-holes do. But I did have a history book in high school.

Maybe a little encouragement instead of negative criticisms should be in order? Maybe some suggestions on what to make it into?