Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Survival & Sustenance Living Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Chainmail armor (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f51/chainmail-armor-74258/)

capto56 10-13-2012 10:55 PM

Chainmail armor

1 Attachment(s)
Been researching it after finding out how expensive it was at the renaissance festival. Looked pretty easy to make. Kind of curious if anyone has had a chance to make any and if they have pointers. Here's what I've come up with so far. The rings are homemade.

Attachment 64132

Dillinger 10-14-2012 12:57 AM

Buddy of mine in high school, our AD&D Game Master actually, built himself a full head piece with neck protector and it went down over the traps and spine/throat/upper breastbone.

Took him about a month or 2, if I recall, but I remember it being heavy as hell. :eek:

It was was enough that if he made the full chest piece and I laid on my back, I could have conceivably had problems getting up...LOL

Looks good so far. I have zero in the way of trips or tricks, but I'll bump this back up because this is a pretty cool home project.

JD

ScottA 10-14-2012 01:06 AM

That's the reason why they made the coats of mail out of an aluminum magnesium alloy. ;)

trip286 10-14-2012 01:13 AM

I've done some chain mail. I wrapped the wire on a dowel real tight, slid the coil off, then cut straight down it with some tin snips.

Then I held an open loop with needle nosed pliers, placed the closed loops, and closed the open one with some flat nosed pliers. That about how your doing it?

I used stainless, and made a bad ass set of mud flaps. Because I gave up on a full suit...

c3shooter 10-14-2012 01:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Chain mail, may I introduce you to Mr. Bodkin?
Attachment 64147

willfully armed 10-14-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 975673)
Chain mail, may I introduce you to Mr. Bodkin?
Attachment 64147

How about Mr Bullet?

capto56 10-14-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286
I've done some chain mail. I wrapped the wire on a dowel real tight, slid the coil off, then cut straight down it with some tin snips.

Then I held an open loop with needle nosed pliers, placed the closed loops, and closed the open one with some flat nosed pliers. That about how your doing it?

I used stainless, and made a bad ass set of mud flaps. Because I gave up on a full suit...

Yep, pretty much the same. Going to get a dremel abrasive wafer disc cutter tomorrow. The mini bolt cutters I have are too cheap and dont line up well enough.

I'd love to do it out of stainless if it wasn't so expensive. Using 14 gauge galvanized steel. Gettin heavier by the link.

It won't stop a bullet but it could stop zombie teeth ;)

HockaLouis 10-14-2012 04:35 AM

I too have made some. I was young and dumb and an apprentice in an armorer's guild. Don't laugh. Even had our own (albeit rented) workshop with electricity, forge, big anvils and forming tools...

There is no easy way but you haven't made a single link of chainmail yet. You want bigger diameter, harder steel, wire; and don't forget you have to rivet, forge weld, or braze the links closed.

Oh, and you're doing this because?

winds-of-change 10-14-2012 08:23 AM

I worked with a man who used to make chainmail. He would do it at work when it was slow. We called it 'knitting metal'. He made a whole 'shirt' or whatever you would call it. It was incredibly awesome. Now he's into carving. This guy is very talented when it comes to creating things.

bkt 10-14-2012 12:07 PM

That looks really good so far. I used to make mail years ago but the guy I was doing the work for insisted on riveting each link - flatten out the ends, overlap them, drill a small hole, rivet them together. Do the next one. Talk about time consuming!

Mind if I ask why you're getting into this?