Cash $$$
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Cash $$$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Default Cash $$$

Just sayin...a stash of greenbacks the bug-out bag.

I'm thinking a SHTF scenario is more likely to be limited, that is, non-apocalyptic--at least at first--and cash may still open doors. If you look at disasters you can see how mercenary some people become, the price-gouging that goes on, people selling water for $5 a gallon, that kind of stuff.

And as long as there is the least possibility of order being restored at some future point, you can't just take what you want at gunpoint.

Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree... I actually posted something similar a while back about this not usually addressed in everyone's BOB.

My scenario is actually just an internet breakdown where no credit card or ATM services are available (for whatever reason).

Old 04-05-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Cash may or may not be valid currency if SHTF. Keep some cash handy in smaller denominations, nothing larger than a twenty. Also keep some silver/gold coins and scrap gold/silver if you can.

However, this may not be practical for everyone. For example, we are on a very tight budget and although we'll be cutting our expenses significantly when we move, we will likely never have much of a cash reserve.

We have some ammunition which may be good trading fodder. (ballistic wampum, re: Jeff Cooper) We've also stocked up a lot of supplies and some of those may be good trade goods. That's the best we can do and even though it feels somewhat inadequate to me, we're probably ahead of 80-90% of the population.

God willing, we'll make do.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Last edited by CA357; 04-05-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

@ CA357

Like you, we are also tight budget wise but we do what we can to prepare slowly. Having a few $5 and $10 stashed doesn't hurt any (they don't do much good in the bank anyway). In most SHTF scenario...dollar will remain viable. In worst cases, I also have a "little" stash of silver.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #5

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 160

I'll hold on to the ammo, it'll help bring down the price of that gallon of water

"THE SIERRA JUST HOTEL TANGO FOXTROT -OVER"

MALO PERICULOSAM LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETUM SERVITIUM

Old 04-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchammo View Post
I'll hold on to the ammo, it'll help bring down the price of that gallon of water
Good point.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-05-2011, 06:36 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Which do you think would be better trading fodder/currency, a Tokarev pistol with one of those cheap cases of surplus ammo or the $350~ it would cost to aquire said firearm & ammo?

I agree on the need for some cash in case of a short-term SHTF situation like a hurricane or natural disaster.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1919 Times on 1109 Posts
Likes Given: 3922

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Which do you think would be better trading fodder/currency, a Tokarev pistol with one of those cheap cases of surplus ammo or the $350~ it would cost to aquire said firearm & ammo?

I agree on the need for some cash in case of a short-term SHTF situation like a hurricane or natural disaster.
That is hard decision! Problem with currency is if it is a financial meltdown (I mean, when currency is not worth the paper it is printed on).

Use other source of barter goods, i.e. toilet paper, bleach, etc. I would barter older gun/ammo and food/water as a last ditch.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

'Gello, don't you mean that $1,000. Tokarev? Hard times my friend, hard times.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:16 PM   #10

I dont think having cash on hand is ever a bad thing. Could It loose value in a SHTF scenario? possibly, so dont just have a bag with thousands of dollars and hope to make it. But having it cant be bad, just dont rely on it. Until it loses its value it can be a good backup for gas, car problems, bailing a friend out haha. I typically have $500 in a secret compartment in my truck and I put $100 in the handle of my new ESEE Hest. Not so much for SHTF but just in case.