Can you survive? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Can you survive?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus556 View Post
You can make a great dish out of skunk. There is a trick to processing the animal so that you dont contaminate the meat with the skunk spray but skunk is a very edible white meat. Stay away from the rear end make a good head shot. All the meat from in front of the back legs to whats left on top of his neck is good eatin. Have soap and water handy to clean the meat and use a healthy dose of chipotle seasoning. Cook it well done.
That's funny and yet informative at the same time. I was thinking of the two-legged kind of skunks. They're kind of stringy and hard to cook.

Last edited by Snakedriver; 07-18-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #12

Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Yep, could get ugly real fast. We've got several cases of MRE laid-up for emergencies. That will get old fast too. Fires and cooking will bring the skunks running mighty quick, so not recommended. I think many people forget that fishing is a real possibility for survival. Again though, cooking is preferred.
I don't think running is the answer. I think that somehow we need to find a way to unite all gun owners, concealed carriers, hunters, etc that are not afraid to stand up in our HOME TOWNS for what is right. Maybe it'll resort to some type of underground militcia, but I feel that, if takeover comes, we'll have to resort to nearly one-on-one, group-against-group, and hand-to-hand combat to protect our way of life. Remember, in the 40's Japan would not attact our homeland with ground forces because of the fear they had of the millions of Americans with guns. Patriotic Americans need to find a way to securely communicate, meet, whatever is necessary if we have to fight a tyrannical government. Don't think it'll ever happen, but we need to assume it COULD HAPPEN and be ready. There's millions of us - we just gotta figure out how to unite town by town and city by city. Sure, our government could bomb us or nuke us, but surely reason will prevail withing our government. All they need to do is study American history and act accordingly.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
In all honesty in this situation I would have been called up for duty. So make sure you show me the secret FTF hand signal and I'll take it easy on you all, maybe even toss you an extra Soylent green ration while herding you to one of the "FEMA camps".
It has been my experience that our men and women in uniform take their oath as solid. The same can NOT be said for the politicians who took their oath of office. In some of the scenerios we are talking about, one could argue that the political leaders are the ones who cause the SHTF situation and that is the reason why people are headding for the hills. What do you do then? There is a lot of uncertainty in the world right now and a lot of it is domestic. What happens when power is unaffordable, infrastructure breaks down, and government checks stop?
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
That's funny and yet informative at the same time. I was thinking of the two-legged kind of skinks. They're kind of stringy and hard to cook.
I have killed and sampled almost all of the things that run in the woods around here. I have a couple books from an old friend that outlines common dishes the Iroquois ate. Since they were in the very same valley I live in, I have tried many of them. Seasoning makes most of them good. Without seasoning, you can eat all of it.....but it tastes like CRAP!
I am incredibly fortunate in that there are a LOT of turkey, canadian geese, rabbits, and deer in the area. I also have a nice collection of dutch ovens. There is a guy up the road who is a retired NYC cop. He still has all of his family (kids, brothers, sisters, etc) that live in the city. He said if the SHTF he is running back to the city and has asked that I look after his farm. If he aint back or I dont hear from him in a month or so, assume he is elsewhere or gone. He has goats, cows, chickens, and a few sheep. Thats a LOT of food on the hoof at my disposal too.
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 07-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't know about heading for "the hills"; some of us would be bugging out to "the swampy woods". I would bet zombies make terrible time in the swamp; for one thing, gators like their meat tenderized.

I'm LOLing here at the thought of a PO'd water mocassin reapeatedly biting a zombie with no idea why it won't go down.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I don't know about heading for "the hills"; some of us would be bugging out to "the swampy woods". I would bet zombies make terrible time in the swamp; for one thing, gators like their meat tenderized.

I'm LOLing here at the thought of a PO'd water mocassin reapeatedly biting a zombie with no idea why it won't go down.
Then you would have zombie gators!!!!! YIKES!!!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
Then you would have zombie gators!!!!! YIKES!!!
I don't see a zombie being able to bite through gator hide. I also don't see how they could get much worse except for their current temperature regulation weakness. Luckily, the swamps around here are mostly small with smaller gators.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:56 AM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3575 Times on 1722 Posts
Likes Given: 1782

My thought is to invite my friends from the FTF to join me in the hills and deep woods of TN here at the house. And establish a camp here on the hill. Plenty of wild game, fish, plants, berries and other items close. Safety in numbers as the old saying goes. And just like my past days in the army, perimeter patrols, guard duty, and perimeter alarms. Sounds crazy but I bet we would also have enough ammunition and weapons to hold off a small army. As far as food, a lot of beans, potatoes, rice, wildlife such as deer, turkeys, squirrel, rabbits, coon and fish and also ground to plant on, plus housing. I have the house the basement, the office and garage and storage garage which we can make a bunk house our of it! If it happens give me a call and come on down! They can run but they will only die tired! They did not teach us to fight fair only to win!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #19

There is no fighting fair when it comes to survival.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:22 AM   #20

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Head for the hills, what hills? All property, and I mean all, is owned by someone, be it private or government land.