Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Can you make it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default Can you make it?

I was doing a little resizing of some .45auto brass and thinking about if the SHTF, Just what I would take. Not to be a person who want to spoil the party but a few what if’s came to mind.

The situation, All out war has progressed in every land on the face of the earth and countless people are killed. The infostructure is trash, but you still have most of your supplies and equipment. No gas for the automobile, your 4 wheeler was stolen and all you got is your feet.

You need to get the hell out of dodge before marauding gangs find you and take what you got. Your destination is 2000 miles away to a sanctuary where they are holding out against the raiders and murders that plunder everything.

Can you make it with what you have planed to take to the hills strapped to your back?

The reason I will not take the .45 auto and take my 9mm instead is a weight factor. With the 9mm I can carry more ammo the handgun is a tad bit lighter and the mag holds a few more rounds. The Mossberg 12 gage will be my other weapon but I will limit it to only 25 rounds of #4 buck, reason again is weight verses firepower, and maybe a slingshot for small game.

I plan on traveling light as possible but with as much as I can manage to hall each day for at least a 30-mile trip. Can you manage the weight and 30 miles a day in rough terrain in all seasons?

Weight everything you would take and load a backpack with that much weight and trace out a 30 mile round trip from where you are and take that walk to see if you can make it.

Don’t just say you can make it, know you can by actually doing it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2010, 12:41 AM   #2

Under your scenario you are dead. You will be shot by the gangs or by someone defending their spot and your goods will be added to their supply and your body will help to fertilize their garden. If you are not already in a place that can be defended and have the means and manpower to defend it when the shtf then you will die.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:42 AM   #3

Why go 2000 miles. I'm 15 miles from where I'll hold up. Don't run take a stand. The 9 mm would be a good choice though because it is more likely to be what your opponents are carrying, so you want have to carry as much, just be a better shot.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

-- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

Old 08-18-2010, 02:58 AM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

There's no way I could make it being disabled.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:35 AM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wouldn't happen for me,

I'd never be able to pack my brewing equipment that far!

Seriously, my bug out defendable hide out is less than 10 miles away and yet remoted. 4X4 then 4 mile hike to get there. If need be, I can make that bacause it is already stocked with food, water, shelter and ammo. All I have to do is get there.

Anyone else have multiple cashes established within a mile or two of their bug out spot?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post

Anyone else have multiple cashes established within a mile or two of their bug out spot?
In NEW JERSEY? Hahahahahahahah!
Hell, for me, in south jersey, I would probably have a near impossible time just trying to leave the state! It's either straight North into New York, or NorthWest to the bridges into Phila or Delaware! My butt is more than likely trapped. I could try to steal a boat and cross the Delaware Bay!
The only thing I could do is hunker down and let most of the zombies kill each other off, improove my ods a little.

I am gonna be 48 the end of this month and I don't concider myself in too bad condition. With what I would pack out, I would guess it would be 70 to 80 lbs, I know, I could never make 30 miles a day, in a shtf situation. Walking down a paved road with no worries? Maybe.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-18-2010, 06:27 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
There's no way I could make it being disabled.

Someone needs to make it to Bear so he can make it!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

We never know what is going to happe. I'll just prepare the best I can and do my best to protect my family when the time comes.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #9

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I will make it to stalkingbear, he is only an hour drive from me and that means a 2 day walk. My son and I will help him and his to get the hell out of there if needed.

This scenario is kind of a basterd child of Red Dawn, The Postman, The Book of Eli, and The Dawn of the Dead.

Even in the shape I am in I can still make 25 to 30 miles a day and sense I will be loading out very light I should do ok