Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > camping advice/tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
As to bugs, those paper matchpacks

again. Eat a couple matchheads a day for a

week or so before

you head into the woods. The sulphur sours your

sweat, and the bugs won't bother you.
I think heavy doses of vitamin B do about the same thing.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #32

Liked 2415 Times on 1375 Posts
Likes Given: 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Buy widescreen tv and recliner. Sip ice cold beer while asking yourself 'what kind of moron wants to be out in this weather anyways?'
WHAT? NO felt-lined slippers?

Old 04-28-2013, 02:42 PM   #33

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 11

a long rifel and a handgun is a must I don't really care what caliber either

Old 04-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #34
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6688 Times on 4043 Posts
Likes Given: 7958

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
WHAT? NO felt-lined slippers?
No. No felt-lined slippers. He's roughing it, remember?
Balota Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #35

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

Ons thing I always check NOW is the wind had some crazy winds ruin a camping trip to big bend about 6 years back

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Balota Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 PM   #36
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1656 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
Sleeping bags: Back some 40 years ago , goose-down used to be the insulator of choice . On long treks , two to three weeks , I found that the goose-down would co-laps and lose loft..! I've switched to synthetics and never looked back . The length , I've got an extra long , to accommodate 8' person so I have two feet of usable space . Water in high altitudes is tuff to find and melting snow is the only way . All things I want not to freeze go in the bag and stay there till I need them . Water especially , takes fuel to melt snow and you've only got so much with you .

Sleeping pads , 3/4" is winter weight and a must to save body heat . Many companies make them and they are light weight and easy to pack on outside of packs . (Closed Cell though) , you don't want to sleep on a sponge..!
Agree on all of this.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 04-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #37

Quote:
^LMAO..! Bears , if you "KNOW" there are BEARS around , do not set camp on high traffic ares , 50 meters from water source , 50 meters from where you eat and never store any food where you sleep...! Never ANY..!

Grizzlies and browns got no sense of humor , either you ARE FOOD or they don't care about you..! You can not , out run one , out swim or out climb..! Eeek..!
Sounds stupid but it's important. Even though duct tape (or duck tape at Walmart) is a man's best friend, do NOT have any duct tape with you in bear country. The adhesive used is VERY attractive to bears. Fixing your tent with duct tape is like writing a suicide note in bear lingo.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

therewolf Likes This 
Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I have exchanged my tent for a motor home and have never been a happier camper!
What? And miss out on that wonderful experience of excruciating back pain on waking??? (Note to self: Hiwall may be on to something. Check this out after grandson gets out of Scouts!)

Balota

Old 04-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #39

Quote:
Well , I,ve been at this too long..! We all have our "tried and true "methods of doing things..! If it works , do it..! :
Perhaps not "all"... Our OP was asking for some suggestions. If he already knew what works he wouldn't be asking! But looks like he's getting some pretty good suggestions.

Balota

Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Take a few minutes and look up at the stars that first night. You probably won't see them again.
Especially if you go camping with me... They call me The Rainman... Besides laughing at jokes from last week, I have the superpower to pull rain from a 10% humidity sky!

Balota

winds-of-change Likes This