You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum >

Bushcraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Ruger 10/22 magnum/200 rounds
Good knife
Magnesium/flint fire starter
Any fishing line I could get/ small hooks
Canteen with metal cup
Columbia titanium/zip in fleece liner
Wool bdu pants
Under Armor top/bottom
4 pair wool socks
Danner super rainforest size 13

I have lived in the Pacific Northwest all my life and believe I could get it done with this. Water, game, wood is abundant. .22 will get most things worth eating with good shot placement, Streams are abundant so there is water and fish. I find local insects make the best bait and boil the water in the metal cup to drink. Finding what we call a pitch stump, fat wood to some is a guaranteed easy fire. If not there is always sheltered dead wood in the forest, moss, cat tails. Shelter would be a lean-to style made from 2 to 3 inch diameter poles.Honestly ,if I had to, I think I could go far beyond 7 days with this. In reality for seven days you don’t have to eat. Priority is shelter, water,fire, food. Most people that die in the woods around here if from exposure far before thirst and starvation......or am I totally off on what this thread is about ?

Last edited by oli700; 04-26-2011 at 02:03 AM.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 464 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 47

O.K. I'll play.
Heres a fair list of my basic gear and what I pack when on a week or so trek in the Sierra mountains.

Osprey Aether 70 back pack, REI Quarter Dome T3 tent, Footprint mat for tent, Marmot goose down vented mummy bag, compression sack mummy bag, insulated air core mat for sleeping bag, small LED lantern for inside tent, headband LED headlight, MSR Dragonfly camp stove, (2) 20 oz fuel bottles for stove, MSR Mini Waterworks water filtration, iodine tabs with neutralizer for water, Camelback water reservoir for backpack, (3) 32 oz. Nalgene bottles, Tea strainer for Nalgene bottles, titanium flatware set (spoon, fork, knife), (1) folding metal spatula, (1) mini wisk, (2) 20 liter folding buckets, REI 4 piece titanium cook ware set, (1) 12" titanium frying pan, (1) 22 oz. fold flat bowl, (2) light weight metal coffee cups, Small poleythylene cutting board, (2) 2.5 oz. bottles of Jungle Juice (DEET), Light weight steel folding hand shovel, (2) Sewdish fire steels, K-BAR Short knife, 15" folding Sven Saw, (1) large microfiber ultra light pack towel, (1) small microfiber ultra light pack towel, (2) rolls biodegradeable TP, compass, maps, Kestrel 4500 pocket weather meter, (1) tube electrolyte sport drink tabs, (6) packs Starbucks VIA instant coffee, (3) packs Starbucks instant cocoa, 5 piece fly rod with carry tube, fishing flies, fly dressing wax, Tear drop clippers (for trimming fishing line and good for fingernails and toenails), a proper first aid kit, 100' of mule tape, 50' paracord, light weight foldable tri pod stool, lithium ion batteris, wet stone for blade edges, light weight hammock with optional bug net, collapsible hiking poles, small tube of body wash, SPF 50 sun blocker, bear canister for food stuffs.

For food seasonings and sauces I have small plastic water tight containers in which I carry salt, pepper, suger garlic powder, Tobasco, Tampatco hot suauce, malted viniger, balsamic viniger, McCormick Roasted Garlic & Herb seasoning, dehydraded chopped onions, freeze dried chives, and poultry seasoning. Also carry 1/2 pint of extra virgin light olive oil for frying and small quanity of lemon juice.

For food I pack an assortment of Mountain house and MaryJanes Farm freeze dried packs, Quaker Oats just add water oatmeal packs, and some boil in the bag brown and white rice that I stuff into the water tight the bear canister.

Total pack weight including light weight hi tech clothing, which I didn't bother listing above, for the last 10 day trip was just a tad over 52 lbs. The trip before the last 10 day trip was for 5 days and pack weight for me then was 38 lbs.

When we go on these treks we fish the high altitude lakes, rivers, and streams and usually do pretty good with just fishing for food but it's nice to pack other food stuffs and seasonings to go with it. Actually, anything that crawls, walks, flys, or grows is fair game for food as long as you know that you can and cannot eat.

Last edited by mrm14; 04-26-2011 at 10:44 PM.