Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bushcraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bushcraft

Hi. Thought I would start with something a tad different.
If you were going into the woods say for 7 days, what equipment would you take to enable you to survive.
You can take your 1st days water and food supplies with you but after that what would you do. I will assume that for a start you have a small amount of water nearby, where you intend to pitch.I will try and tell you what possibilities I would do, in the exact same circumstances.as we go along.

Jungleman.

There is no such thing as a problem,only a solution.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'm in. I'll have to post my supply list later.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #3

I would just add however, due to our Countries different meanings of some words/terms,etc, they may have to be expounded on at times.
Thanks for your understanding.

Jungleman.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8392 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

Would be driven by the climate where I will be, and the season. If I have something for shelter from wind, and firemaking ability, my next concern is water (I can tighten my belt for several days (some of us, several WEEKS!) but you WILL need water. In areas with streams or lakes, I use a PUR backpackers filter. About the size of a can of soup, will clean over 1000 gallons of water. Add a canteen, canteen cup, and water and basic cooking is covered. And salt and a knife.

THEN it begins to get interesting. Are we living entirely off the land- and if so, what land? Fish, game, edible plants, muggable pizza delivery guys?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:34 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
Hi. Thought I would start with something a tad different.
If you were going into the woods say for 7 days, what equipment would you take to enable you to survive.
You can take your 1st days water and food supplies with you but after that what would you do. I will assume that for a start you have a small amount of water nearby, where you intend to pitch.I will try and tell you what possibilities I would do, in the exact same circumstances.as we go along.

Jungleman.
My first concern is always water. I perspire a lot, and during the Florida summer the heat can get ugly. Though I try not to camp at those times, on occasion I've gone out during July/September. If I don't have my own water, having a metal pot that can boil two cups of water is my first item.

To boil water I need fire. First choice is my Coleman lighter (no longer manufactured). I have several others, but I have yet to find one as good as the Coleman. Firesteels are handy, can work when wet, don't leak butane, and are durable. So a lighter and a firesteel, definitely. Matches also, but all mine have crumpled boxes. Having some dry tinder is nice too. Cotton balls work as does dryer lint. People recommend cotton balls in petroleum jelly stuffed in a small jar. It works, but I've never gotten around to carrying them. In the Florida rainy season it's a chore finding dry tinder. It's easy to get fresh water though If I don't have my mini camp stove, then I'd also need something to chop wood such as an axe or a big blade (e.g., machete).

Once water is taken care of, shelter is nice. I think most folks recommend getting the shelter first, but if I didn't find water quickly I'd perish. Anyhoo, if I didn't have a tent, I suppose that I could fashion a debris hut. Who am I kidding? I need a tent. There are a few that weigh just a few ounces, even some with inflatable supports. Anything that will keep the rain and bugs out, cover the ground, and keep you warm would be better than a debris hut.

I'll post a pic of my gear in a few... The rest is just stuff for finding where I am and where I'm going, sustenance, emergency, and recreation. E.g., compass/GPS and map, collapsible rod/reel, a plant field guide, wildlife field guide, and some puzzle books, cards, and obviously the most important items: the coffee making kit.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:33 AM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Whats the weather? Whats the terrain? Is your goal to be rescued or just survive?

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Old 04-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
Whats the weather? Whats the terrain? Is your goal to be rescued or just survive?
Weather, mixed fine with rain at times, location woods with plenty of trees and cover, terrain, wherever you decide to pitch, (Obviously not in a dried up river bed just because it may be smoother to camp /sleep on.you would be in deep water if the heavens opened up!! your out to enjoy yourself, andd get a bit of peace and quiet, a bit of "Me" time, as we say.Just an excercise to see you survive the week.

Jungleman.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Would be driven by the climate where I will be, and the season. If I have something for shelter from wind, and firemaking ability, my next concern is water (I can tighten my belt for several days (some of us, several WEEKS!) but you WILL need water. In areas with streams or lakes, I use a PUR backpackers filter. About the size of a can of soup, will clean over 1000 gallons of water. Add a canteen, canteen cup, and water and basic cooking is covered. And salt and a knife.

THEN it begins to get interesting. Are we living entirely off the land- and if so, what land? Fish, game, edible plants, muggable pizza delivery guys?
Hi Curtis, Pizzas a definate NO. NO. You can fish, but what sort of fish, ie, Sea, small Brown Brook Trout, rainbow, or what, each will need a different load of tackle, but do you realy want to add more weight to what you intend to carry?.There is a good alternative way.

Jungleman.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8392 Times on 3630 Posts
Likes Given: 1291

Tackle? #8 blasting caps are fairly light, take up very little room....

Just for fun fishing, we usually toss a metal band-aid tin in the pack. A few lures, hooks for live bait, very small bobbers (floats) and about 100 ft of line. If you MUST have a pole- go cut one.

You have given a fair description of some soul-examining time on the Appalachian Trail in good weather. In temperate weather, we would do-5-7 days starting with about 40 lbs, including shelter, sleeping gear, food and water. If you are not familiar with the AT, beautiful hiking trail, Eastern side of the US, about 2,181 miles if you want to do the whole thing. A bit less weight if we did not have kids along.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

It's an odd premise to have such limited water and food. My bug-out bag would feed me for the better part of a week easily and give me a day and a half of water without refilling pretty easily. Assuming I had a water source (rain, stream) I'd purify water with a filter bottle (Berkey sport).

Assuming I swapped my food in my BoB for a .22, squirrel would always be an option. I keep fishing line, lures and hooks in the bag and live near Lake Ontario, so fishing would be an option, too.