Bunker Worthiness - Page 5

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bunker Worthiness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Why go to all the trouble to take over someone else's bunker when you can just take over a Walgreens or a Wal*Mart? The well paid staff probably won't be there.

Weld the doors shut. Rearranged a bunch of stuff to help keep interlopers off track should they get in (rearrange the racks with the forklift and create choke points). Plenty of food, water medicine. Probably a bunch of board games and at least some Nerf toys to keep the kids busy.

Plus you got a big flat surface on the roof to lay out your S.O.S. - or conceal half a dozen good lines of fire.
A Walgreens is actually pretty well built - solid 12" masonry block with brick exterior. But the storefront doors and glass, exit doors and dock doors are weak points

I would look for a pre-cast tilt up warehouse - 8" thick reinforced concrete wall, cast in place steel door bucks and heavy duty roll up doors

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #42

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

I definitely couldn't tell my 13 year old daughter or it would go something like this -

“Just checking in from the Bunker here in XXXX location” Facebook/Twitter postings.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #43

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
I definitely couldn't tell my 13 year old daughter or it would go something like this -

“Just checking in from the Bunker here in XXXX location” Facebook/Twitter postings.
I agree tell the Kids nothing
Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #44

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
A Walgreens is actually pretty well built - solid 12" masonry block with brick exterior. But the storefront doors and glass, exit doors and dock doors are weak points

I would look for a pre-cast tilt up warehouse - 8" thick reinforced concrete wall, cast in place steel door bucks and heavy duty roll up doors

a small store tho. a store that's too big will offer too many entry points and not enough exit points. PLUS, it'll be harder to defend if you don't have enough shooters to defend it. a good firearms store would be the shiznutz, but no food. a wal-green's would be a good all around store, but no ammo. wal-mart would be a GREAT store, BUT a REGULAR wal-mart.......perfect size, everything you need to survive for a few weeks, maybe months. in my area, either store would be good, cuz they are all localized around 2 hospitals, and like 7 doctor's offices within a mile's diameter. AND there are 4 gun stores located within a 5 mile diameter.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Last edited by USEBOTHHANDS; 10-15-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #45

Liked 1135 Times on 739 Posts
Likes Given: 2024

I dont wanna be around any gun shops when the SHTF because if they are anything like me and have what they consider to be enough ammo ,Im not gonna share my ammo either and its jsut a suggestion that one would stay away and Im sure their not going to want to share either since they have enough fire power in a gun shop and will prob have their own little group . Im not going anywhere near my FFL dealer he has stuff capable of dropping me further than I can see and theres alot of flat land around here so thats a long long damn ways away

Old 10-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #46
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1340 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger

It's completely opposite of monophobic, but I forget the name.

JD
JD, it's called "Demophobia" - Fear of large groups or multiple persons.

As a side note, a phobia is not just discomfort with something. It is an irrational fear that causes panic, fleeing, crying and other irrational responses. Someone that is Arachnaphobic doesn't just dislike spiders, they are literally panicked by them and may run from the building until it is killed. Phobias are quite serious and almost always an irrational, overblown response.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 10-15-2012, 09:39 PM   #47

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

We are lucky in this country, or I am. Not many people are armed. Myself and one or two well chosen friends could take and hold a major super store. we could live for months on the stocks available.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Defiance will probably get you into the

"lookin' forward to it" mindset.

But for a dose of reality, watch

The Book of Eli , The Road, or THREADS...
Thanks for the insight.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:08 AM   #49
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2480 Times on 1344 Posts
Likes Given: 714

And what about all the other people with the same idea. There will be lots of desperate people. I still remember the Watts riots and the Korean store owners on their roofs with rifles. After the riots died down, they were the only ones still functioning. They would only allow 1 or 2 women in at a time. No men.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #50

Liked 1662 Times on 991 Posts
Likes Given: 365

The problem with bunkers is that they can only keep people out if the occupants stay inside.(and awake) Sounds too much like a trap or a prison to me. I have thought a lot about it and I have decided not to participate in the SHTF. I plan to die in my own bed, in about 25 years, a sick old man.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan