Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bunker Worthiness

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 859 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

Default Bunker Worthiness

If a SHTF scenario were to happen, how would you handle the following:

1. Who gets into your Bunker? Who doesn't? Obviously, you let those that bring something to the table in and keep those that don't out? What is your criteria for making the grade?
2. How would you form a cohesive group?
3. How would you establish and maintain the pecking order? Everyone wants to be a chief.
4. Have you ever been a part of a Bunker/Survival group? Share your experience.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Wow, excellent thread idea and one that I don't think we have ever directly discussed, but we have beaten well around this bush hundreds of times in other threads.

First off, I don't have a "Bunker" - But I have a couple of plans to "create" one by occupying an existing facility in my area that features many of the essential items to sustain life. (i.e. - A costco, a Wal-Mart, a Grocery Store).

Now, things can't happen in a bubble, so obviously I will need help. I have a couple of friends and their familes who live within a mile or three. Not too many people, maybe 20 or so, but enough to be able to make teams and complete even mundane tasks without making one group the bitch detail and one group the glory detail.

In an odd twist, I would not be the immediate leader of this group as one member is a former military soldier and sailor who is slightly older than me, but has a TON more experience in the world of survival and living off the land than I do. Thus I would happily let him lead and be fine with handling things from a trusted sidekick role. Not very macho and "End of the World with me on top" of me, but I like my risks to be negated as best I can and this would be a nice risk mitigation tactic I am ready and willing to embrace to keep my ass alive.

How do we maintain a heirarchy and level of discipline. It would be pretty easy, I think, when the choice is:

1) Here are some folks that seem to work well together, they are eating, they are safe, they are warm and dry. They are surviving. They all have chores and tasks so there is no glory hound/Rockefeller type that doesn't get his/her hands dirty.

2) I can try this on my own.

Who gets in? Man, that is a question that I can't answer truthfully. We have seen it played out in every movie. You let the husband, wife and kid in, but the husband is a drunk and becomes a problem with not being king of the castle, or you let in the group of like minded folks and they are just there to rob you in the middle of the night. I would have to honestly say we would have to have some sort of council vote, weighing every option from the number of mouths to feed, to the usefulness of the skillset the people bring with them.

Just because a guy is 245 pounds of solid muscle and can run a 6 minute mile all day long does not mean he is a shoe in. If he doesn't have any weapons training, doesn't have any medical background, can't cook, and his skill set consists of lifting weights looking good in a suit? Well, he is going to require a lot of calories each day just to be able to move things around the camp. Sure he can gather wood and split it, help with other heavy lifting tasks like hauling planting soil out into the new garden and raking it around, but at 3 rations of food & water versus one for the guys with far greater skills sets? I mean not to be too much of a dick, but what good is he?

I look forward to reading some other thoughts on this subject. I think this is a really great idea for a thread.

Well done Nitrox!!

JD

Old 10-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6558 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Bunker-There is none. Just several acres of land far from any large town/city.

Who gets in?-Family, maybe a few friends from FTF since I wouldn't mind having the extra skills/firepower around.

Pecking order?-No leader, anyone can come up with an idea. They will go through a voting process, and the two ideas with the most votes will then go on to the next round of voting. Winner of this vote wins.

Never been part of a survival group, but I think we will do fine. We have a few people who are good shots/hunters, someone who knows how to raise livestock and plant food, a few who know a lot about medicine, and someone who knows how to fix just about any kind of machinery.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 10-03-2012 at 03:10 AM. Reason: left out a word.
People Like This 
Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 AM   #4

I do have a Bunker in the works. I am gathering materials from the leftover and unused stuff on my construction projects. I have 40 acres that backs up to BLM land in the north country of AZ. I chose it because it has a very small spring that runs year round and there are several running creeks and ponds on the BLM land. This is pretty far off the beaten path but has an old forest service road that fronts it. That said:

1.I have 9 family members and another 6 non family/close friends that are already in. 8 of the 15 are able bodied men that bring the following to the table. Hunting, construction, survival and combat experience. Not everyone of them of them is an expert in everything but a lot of bases are covered. The 7 women are able bodied and bring the following to the table. Gardening, canning and sewing. We would consider others as needs arise. There are also 5 children that at various age groups from 1 to 12 that need to be taken care of but that can be taught. These are things that come to mind right off the top.

2. So far because we are mostly family and close friends the cohesion is there. Granted there will be times of discord as in all relationships but the bond we have will most likely weather most things. If new people are brought in this will be tested.

3. As far as pecking order goes, we have discussed it and feel that each person brings there own unique talents to the group that will make it thrive. We plan on doing things in a relatively democratic fashion. In hard times, true leaders will rise to the occasion and that will take it's course. Several of us are relatively alpha and will most likely take charge and delegate different responsibilities with the welfare of the group as a priority because we realize no man is an island and a cohesive group is better than going it alone or in smaller numbers.

4. We are not necessarily a Bunker group but discussions have been had amongst several of us.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 AM   #5

Liked 1111 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

If u come to play with us u better have a good skill, firepower and the knowledge to use it smartly. Food ,water filtration.. medical experience. Hunting/ meat processing skills. Farming/ gardening skills, welding, small engine / diesel repair or electrical experience, construction experience. Most of this I can do myself except major medical stuff. I know some of the cattle/ horse meds we can use and how to use them and how many cc's to use for human use but surgery stuff i have no clue . As do a few friends and family members. Be smart u can't take everyone in or you will die trying to take care of a bunch of people.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1702 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5178

Assuming that I might have a bunker (ha! hardly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
1. Who gets into your Bunker? Who doesn't? Obviously, you let those that bring something to the table in and keep those that don't out? What is your criteria for making the grade? .
Family, extended family and those of my choosing, (see #3)

Quote:
2. How would you form a cohesive group?.
My extensive expertise in team building, leadership and skills assesment and assignments (see #3)

Quote:
.3. How would you establish and maintain the pecking order? Everyone wants to be a chief..
I'm the boss (see #3 again), I assign the order (see #3)

Quote:
.4. Have you ever been a part of a Bunker/Survival group? Share your experience.
I have no bunker, I have no plan, I have no guns, food or wiffle balls.
I have a dog that loves me. Have you seen any good movies.

Last edited by KG7IL; 10-03-2012 at 03:09 AM.
People Like This 
Old 10-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
I have no bunker, I have no plan, I have no guns, food or wiffle balls.
I have a dog that loves me. Have you seen any good movies.
Number 4 may be a problem. Just sayin'
Old 10-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #8

Liked 3680 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 619

I don't have a bunker, but I have a lot if acreage with miles of woods around me.

As for everything else... I believe that everyone has a plan until they get hit. I've got some preps. I'll just roll with it, zen like if it happens...

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #9

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
If a SHTF scenario were to happen, how would you handle the following:

1. Who gets into your Bunker? Who doesn't? Obviously, you let those that bring something to the table in and keep those that don't out? What is your criteria for making the grade?
2. How would you form a cohesive group?
3. How would you establish and maintain the pecking order? Everyone wants to be a chief.
4. Have you ever been a part of a Bunker/Survival group? Share your experience.
1) I'll take family and friends regardless. Any sexy azzed female that wants in. After that they better have some serious skillz ... otherwise they are fodder.

2. by working together to survive ... slackers will be put out!

3. I rule with an iron fist ... backed up by the barrel of my AR

4. No

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
1) I'll take family and friends regardless. Any sexy azzed female that wants in. After that they better have some serious skillz ... otherwise they are fodder.

2. by working together to survive ... slackers will be put out!

3. I rule with an iron fist ... backed up by the barrel of my AR

4. No
Do you have a Bunker or a plan?