The BUMP in the night weapon response discussion

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > The BUMP in the night weapon response discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default The BUMP in the night weapon response discussion

This has been batted around in about a hundred different threads, but I don't think we ever devoted a full thread of discussion about it.

Until now.

Okay, FOR THIS DISCUSSION PLEASE ASSUME THE FOLLOWING TO BE TRUE:

• Your alarm system either did not work, has been hacked or you forgot to pay your bill and there is no blaring alarm
  • Your dog(s) are away at Camp Puppy Fun Life and did not alert you to anything. 'Gello, your cats are too busy sleeping their fat asses off to do anything useful, so business as usual for them.
  • You, and the family, are home alone with no guests, no teenager sneaking back into the house after curfew, no planned late night enounters with the sandman or your mistress.
  • You are, for all purposes of this discussion, awoken to a sound that means someone who is not supposed to be in your house, trying to get in or has got in and is now pawing through your valuables in the living/dining area.
  • You have whatever weapon you normally have in your Master bedroom right now. You didn't bring your AA-12 automatic shotgun or your M-249 SAW up to clean right before bed. Whatever you have beside the bed or in the closet as of the last week's worth of sleepytime
Are we clear on the conditions? Okay good.

What weapon do you choose to go investigate and why?

My position:

Any long gun, while offering better stopping power, is a liability not only because of over penetration, but because of the sheer length of the weapon itself.

With a shotgun, or an AR if you believe that is the weapon of choice, you either have to lower the muzzle (or raise it if you never had a weapon training class I guess) or just leave it hanging out there in front of you to go through each and every doorway.

If you leave the weapon out in front of you, and don't lower it, you are also announcing your presence at the end of each hallway or staircase.

If you have a weapon light that is "constant on" or "strobbing", or a laser, you have added another announcement variable that doesn't help in my opinion.

On the other hand, a pistol is perfect for clearing your own house. It's not heavy, you can easily carry an additional mag in your hand, but most importantly you can go to (high) chest center with the pistol as you come to each doorway or hallway.

Thus the overall profile of the weapon (and you) is greatly reduced and still able to be held somewhat on target of where you are looking.

Here is an example of chest center and then extended and firing by Chris Costa.

Discuss...

high-chest-1.jpg   high-chest-2.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #2

Liked 2391 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I agree with the pistol. My long guns are locked in the safe anyhow. I agree the longer barrel can be a burden, even if possibly a chance to have it removed from you. I.e. sticking it out the door frame into hallway, said boogeyman sees barrel to his side, then removes weapon from you.

I live in an apt, if your in my house, my front door is directly across from my bedroom about 25' away or so. I like the extra mag in the hand idea, hasn't thought of that. So in my position, I will stick with my no laser/flashlight mounted 1911.

A flashlight may come in hand in "identifying" said boogeyman upon seeing a shadow figure in the dark.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 706

i have my XD, 2 mags, and my mag light ready to go. the farthest i could shoot is about 20 yards. from my stairwell across the living room, to the dining room. unlike some, i have had house clearing training. its not a simple task,especially by yourself. however, i would need to move 2 kids into my room with my wife if we buttoned up. so i WILL be searching the house instead. no need to awake them for every little noise if its nothing, if its something the fight will be away from them. i know where they are and where not to shoot.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
People Like This 
Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #4

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I have given this topic some long and serious thought, practiced, visualized and prepared, hopefully enough...

I'll admit to clearing the house once or twice after something went bump in the night...pistol for sure, no brainer for me...

A long narrow hallway is impossible for me to try to negotiate with a long gun, and the only way out of the back bedrooms...

''Stopping power", "knockdown power", yadda yadda, 230 grains of instant act right x13 seems like a pretty easy solution, 13 more are good to go as well, and is never more than 18" from me during the night...(another super convienient yet undisclosed location )

Fumbling for a flashlight is out, I have a rail light which can be used as a 'flash' or a steady light, depending on which way you flip the switch and is very easy to do with my offhand index finger. No alarm system, useless but lovable dog, but two things I have to my advantage are...I'm a terribly light sleeper, the slightest noises/sensations wake me up quick. Also, if someone were to break in there is NO POSSIBLE WAY to do so without making quite a ruckus...

The house layout is simple in that there is no way anyone can get behind me, or approach from a side, everything is right straight ahead and I don't do warning shots, not in the house...

I do have a fallback position just in case and have actually rehearsed getting to it several times (at the cost of a nice floorplant...)

If they do manage to get in, I'm ready and it's going to be a bad night for that guy(s)...

G-21 with the rail light...(I know, I know...seen one GLOCK, seem 'em all but I trust it...)

mickey.jpg  

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Last edited by vincent; 10-18-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 714 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfuller1 View Post
i have my XD, 2 mags, and my mag light ready to go. the farthest i could shoot is about 20 yards. from my stairwell across the living room, to the dining room. unlike some, i have had house clearing training. its not a simple task,especially by yourself. however, i would need to move 2 kids into my room with my wife if we buttoned up. so i WILL be searching the house instead. no need to awake them for every little noise if its nothing, if its something the fight will be away from them. i know where they are and where not to shoot.
.357 Magnum revolver or a M1911 as choices. They are located
in different places around the house. Easy to get to; not all the
easy to find, if you know what I mean. All my friends know if they
are coming over at to call first or if that is not an option night
makes lots of noise outside. In general, I am a light sleeper.

"I am prepared are you?" -- Shade

"Regulation, registration, confiscation, domination, that's the Progressive agenda." -- RED Caddy

Last edited by Shade; 10-18-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #6

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

I have a switchback staircase in my place - from the Basement to the 2nd floor,

As for what weapon would I choose - the pistol is in the nightstand, I have a demolition ax, a baseball bat, a hurling stick, a spear, assorted knives and a mace ...

I weep for anyone dumb enough to come into my home late at night uninvited

... actually I wouldn't weep for them

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I would grab the Mossberg 500 beside my bed (illuminated dimly by the neighboring alarm clock) and the tactical flashlight beside it. Most of my place is fairly open inside, and the shotgun has a shorter 18.5" barrel and supercooltactifool black polymer (cuz "plastic" is old-tech) full stock with pistol grip and extra shells in the side saddle. Now, if i heard sounds indicating multiple targets errr attackers, the gun safe is within a dozen feet of where i sleep and is unlocked when i am home; it has three pistols hanging on the door, loaded and ready with extra loaded mags below the pistols (and the SKS with a few loaded mags, and the revolver with speedloaders on a shelf...).

My "go to" is the shotgun primarily due to familiarity with that particular firearm; i can use it day/night and in any condition between out-cold and scared shatless.

Rest assured, the cats would self deploy after a warning of hissing at my face.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #8

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
On the other hand, a pistol is perfect for clearing your own house. It's not heavy, you can easily carry an additional mag in your hand, but most importantly you can go to (high) chest center with the pistol as you come to each doorway or hallway.

Thus the overall profile of the weapon (and you) is greatly reduced and still able to be held somewhat on target of where you are looking.

Here is an example of chest center and then extended and firing by Chris Costa.

Discuss...
true ... but your Nighthawk has that UNGODLY HUGE silencer protruding from the front end ... which is a desperate attempt at compensating for something by the way ... so unless you had your arm wrapped around your back and were shooting from beneath your opposite armpit you would be announcing yourself as well ... again probably some form of "compensating"

you should stick with a spatula

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

People Like This 
Old 10-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
true ... but your Nighthawk has that UNGODLY HUGE silencer protruding from the front end ... which is a desperate attempt at compensating for something by the way ... so unless you had your arm wrapped around your back and were shooting from beneath your opposite armpit you would be announcing yourself as well ... again probably some form of "compensating"

I have more than one Nighthawk. And the one in the bedroom doesn't have the threaded barrel, but it does have the extended Tripps Cobra Mag full of the good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
you should stick with a spatula
That's funny, your gal was mentioning something about kitchen utensils with you working so much, so I offered to come over and help her re-organize. I thought we would start with her backyard.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:59 PM   #10

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I have more than one Nighthawk. And the one in the bedroom doesn't have the threaded barrel, but it does have the extended Tripps Cobra Mag full of the good stuff.

That's funny, your gal was mentioning something about kitchen utensils with you working so much, so I offered to come over and help her re-organize. I thought we would start with her backyard.

lawn needs mowin? or plumbing needs new pipe?

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Dillinger Likes This