Bullion Cubes? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bullion Cubes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
**** DITTO ****

Has anyone bitten into a Bullion cube? YUK! It's like eating a SALT LICK.
I wonder if it has anything to do with keeping the body stocked on salt? Back-in-the-day, i know soldiers in hot climates were often provided "salt pills". I was always told that was why gatorade was better than water for dehydration, it replaces lost salts. I also remember something about some salts being a preventative measure for leg cramps at night. Leg cramps would suck if hiking.

Any docs on board who care to comment?

Old 03-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I wonder if it has anything to do with keeping the body stocked on salt? Back-in-the-day, i know soldiers in hot climates were often provided "salt pills". I was always told that was why gatorade was better than water for dehydration, it replaces lost salts. I also remember something about some salts being a preventative measure for leg cramps at night. Leg cramps would suck if hiking.

Any docs on board who care to comment?
I'm not a doctor, but I have a fairly firm grasp on human physiology. Without going into confusing detail, salts are needed by the human body to use as electrolytes. These electrolytes are used largely to transmit electrical signals in the nerve pathways.

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:34 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You use the cubes to mix them with small amounts of meat to expand what you have. If you come across some mushrooms and use the cubes with the shrooms, you have more complete meal. Use the cubes to augment what you find, capture or scavenge. You can, if you want, use them without any other protein source but not unless you can't find anything else at all.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:56 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4364 Times on 2425 Posts
Likes Given: 21993

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
Maybe they allow you to make gross things edible? You get stuck out in the wilderness, so you boil water, grubs, and a cube to eat?!? I'd rather eat a grub in broth, than a grub without broth!!!
My hats off to you sir,have you ever eaten a grub,add some aquadic vegetation,grubs,inner birch bark or other sugar bearing tree and you got eatible,sustainable nutrional norishment. Add a couple of immature pine needles,pine nuts,and hell,better than a big Mac.All the things you need to stay healthy .Why on a day hike,before GPS's,or even a failure of our high-tech toys,I have been"mis-placed",lost is such an ugly word.A day hike can turn into something totally longer due weather,injury,or just plain stupidity.
Along with bullion,I like to carry many Bic lighters and bacon bits,also good for flavor, and remember,just add water...!!

Old 03-16-2009, 11:35 AM   #15

Yes, keeping your spirits up is very important. And a quick cup of something hot and tasty first thing in the morning really does make you feel good.

But like I said, I would rather have a pack of some freeze dried soup that has some vitamins, protein, and minerals, than a cube of salt and msg. They weight the same, and the freezed dried soup is hermetically packed in a metalized bag, while the bullion cube is loose wraped and needs a bottle to keep it from getting wet. I go by pack weight, and since both weigh the same, the real soup wins out anytime.

As for salt, I agree there 100%. Some need it, and you probably know who you are, and others do not. I need it when hiking. I carry a bottle of salt tablets with me, and on a hot summer day take probably 4 tablets. I use something called Thermotabs.

Bic lighters...yeah I carry a couple, mostly for psychological comfort. If it is really cold out or windy, they really are hard to use. The fuel does not gassify very well below 20F. I would take a hurricane match anytime over one of them. And in a true shtf situation, you would rather have a renewable fire starter, not one that needs fuel.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:44 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I also carry Bouillon cubes in my bug out bag, pockets when I hike and in my car for emergencies they are not very nutritious but easy to carry and when on the move they make you feel full so you can think straight and plan your next move. They also have a reasonable amount of sodium. The biggest issue is getting your mind to focus on your next move. It is hard to think when your hungry. It is also hard to carry a cup of soup in a shirt or pants pocket and if your fanny pack gets washed down stream you at least have something. I carry several in a heavy zip lock bag and I use the bag as a cup in an emergency.

Remember:
Plan for the worst, Hope for the best and if you land on your feet running life is good!!!

Old 05-10-2009, 04:56 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSAPT9 View Post
I carry several in a heavy zip lock bag and I use the bag as a cup in an emergency.
Most cubes I've ever used require the water to be boiling to dissolve the cube. Zip-lock bags melt fast under a flame.

Something to think about.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:27 AM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You crush the cube and keep the bag of water next to your body it worms up and works ok. Not the best but better than being hungry. Try it, it works

Remember:
Plan for the worst, Hope for the best and if you land on your feet running life is good!!!

Newest Threads