Bullion Cubes?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > Survival & Sustenance Living Forum > Bullion Cubes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bullion Cubes?

I've seen in several survival articles statements like, "You don't have any business even going on a day hike without a few bullion cubes in your pocket."

I assumed that bullion cubes must contain a lot of fat/calories. However, when I examined the nutritional info on several brands of bullion cubes, it seems that they contain (depending on brand) only 1 - 15 calories, and next to no fat. In fact the only thing they really contain is salt/sodium.

So why is it recommended to carry bullion cubes? Is it just for the salt? I can think of several other options that would be just as light and easy to pack, that would be a much better source of calories.

I'm eager to hear some feedback on this.

Thanks,
Jesse

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-23-2009, 06:19 AM   #2

Uhh it's easier than carrying a salt shaker.

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
-U.S. Army Training Notice

Old 02-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post
why the hell would you cook on a day hike? it's not like its camping. pack a lunch.
**** DITTO ****

Has anyone bitten into a Bullion cube? YUK! It's like eating a SALT LICK.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Protein!!!!!

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 03-01-2009, 05:33 AM   #5

In the hiking forums these cubes are looked on as a source of food. They simply boil water and add a cube, mix well and drink. They seem to think that these cubes are nutritious, like actually having a meal even though they are not. Rather than focusing on flavor I would recommend high nutritional value over flavor. (not that I like the flavor of chicken/salt)

The truth was always the truth, even before anyone figured it out. It always was and always will be.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:55 AM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKimber View Post
In the hiking forums these cubes are looked on as a source of food. They simply boil water and add a cube, mix well and drink. They seem to think that these cubes are nutritious, like actually having a meal even though they are not. Rather than focusing on flavor I would recommend high nutritional value over flavor. (not that I like the flavor of chicken/salt)
That's pretty much what I thought of the idea, but I was just wondering if there was some advantage that I had overlooked.

As far as Chopkick's comment about protein, they don't have any of that either. Literally the only thing they have is salt, and 1 - 15 calories depending on the brand.

I think maybe, that the only real value they have is 'comfort'. I suppose that if you were on a day hike and ended up getting lost, chances are you would find your way back or be found within a day or two, so maybe the idea is that a cup of hot 'broth' will comfort you, in that you feel like you almost ate soup or something.

Personally, I guarantee I could find something with more food/energy value than bullion cubes to carry in my pocket.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:34 AM   #7

bullion cubes, huh? Not sure what the nutritional value would be. And if you are going to make a fire to heat up water, I would rather have a cup'o soup with some freeze dried veggies and noodles. Another good light weight thing with some nutrition would be the freeze dried miso soup.

I guess if you were going to go a week in the woods without food, a bullion cube would be welcome in your water. But you would probably get more nutrition out of some spruce tea! Bullion cubes are just salt and msg.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:07 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Most survivalists will tell you that above any other thing you may need, you need to have the will to live and determination to survive. Low morale is a killer. If you think you're screwed, then you really are screwed. While bullion cubs have little in the way of nutritional value, you'd be surprised how a cup of hot soup raises your spirits and gives you the drive to keep trying.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Maybe they allow you to make gross things edible? You get stuck out in the wilderness, so you boil water, grubs, and a cube to eat?!? I'd rather eat a grub in broth, than a grub without broth!!!

Old 03-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janikphoto View Post
Maybe they allow you to make gross things edible? You get stuck out in the wilderness, so you boil water, grubs, and a cube to eat?!? I'd rather eat a grub in broth, than a grub without broth!!!
exactly why right there. in a survival situation you need all the confidence you can get and it also helps by putting something in your gut to keep your mind on surviving. plus who wants to eat grubs, might aswell make a stew out of them right

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you